Trade for Mark Teixeira?

jimbones

Would you want Tex to be an Oriole?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Tex to be an Oriole?

Yankee Message boards are all over Teixeira. How about putting together some pitching prospects for Tex to bring him back home and allow the Yankees to battle it out for Pujols or Fielder. Tex might be feeling the heat in the Bronx and want to come home. What do you think?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yankee Message boards are all over Teixeira. How about putting together some pitching prospects for Tex to bring him back home and allow the Yankees to battle it out for Pujols or Fielder. Tex might be feeling the heat in the Bronx and want to come home. What do you think?

The Yankees got the years where he "earned" his paycheck. He is pretty clearly in decline now and any team assuming his contract will be overpaying him.

This morning on Mike and Mike, they were interviewing Michael Kay and he was talking about how the Yankees don't really have anywhere to go when it comes to the team. They are locked into a lot of deals, etc...

Jtrea has brought this up before and I am in full agreement with him....who is to say the Yankees don't try and trade Tex and then go out and sign Fielder or especially Pujols?

I don't think its that far fetched.

The question is, if this comes to fruition, what is Tex worth and what would you be willing to give up to get him?

His remaining contract is 5/112.5.

He will be 32 next April.

He is very durable but he has declined the last 2 seasons although his BABIp the last 2 years has been pretty unlucky, especially this year(238).

His BB rate is good...His ISO is solid. His K rate has stayed the same.

Like Markakis, his last 2 years has seen his OZone% go way up from what it had been. His wFB is still high but down as well. Is his losing bat speed?

But other than that, there isn't a lot to be alarmed about.

Really, if his BABIP was normal, he would be looking at a much higher BA and OBP and thus, his OPS would look more along the lines of what it should be.

His UZR was also excellent this year after it being down last year.

Overall, I would definitely be interested, especially if the Yankees are selling low.

I wouldn't ask the Yanks to pay any of the deal but would require them to take back Gregg...I would also trade them Guthrie, who you would think they would be interested in as a "cheap" back of the rotation starter for them. But, who else are you willing to include?

BTW, an interested thing here is that Tex has a full NTC. If the Yanks want to trade him and Tex wants to come here, the Yankees may be very limited on what they can get for him because he could just block a trade to anywhere he wants...Although, you have to think he wants to win but you never know...maybe he would only want to come here?

This morning on Mike and Mike, they were interviewing Michael Kay and he was talking about how the Yankees don't really have anywhere to go when it comes to the team. They are locked into a lot of deals, etc...

Jtrea has brought this up before and I am in full agreement with him....who is to say the Yankees don't try and trade Tex and then go out and sign Fielder or especially Pujols?

I don't think its that far fetched.

The question is, if this comes to fruition, what is Tex worth and what would you be willing to give up to get him?

His remaining contract is 5/112.5.

He will be 32 next April.

He is very durable but he has declined the last 2 seasons although his BABIp the last 2 years has been pretty unlucky, especially this year(238).

His BB rate is good...His ISO is solid. His K rate has stayed the same.

Like Markakis, his last 2 years has seen his OZone% go way up from what it had been. His wFB is still high but down as well. Is his losing bat speed?

But other than that, there isn't a lot to be alarmed about.

Really, if his BABIP was normal, he would be looking at a much higher BA and OBP and thus, his OPS would look more along the lines of what it should be.

His UZR was also excellent this year after it being down last year.

Overall, I would definitely be interested, especially if the Yankees are selling low.

I wouldn't ask the Yanks to pay any of the deal but would require them to take back Gregg...I would also trade them Guthrie, who you would think they would be interested in as a "cheap" back of the rotation starter for them. But, who else are you willing to include?

BTW, an interested thing here is that Tex has a full NTC. If the Yanks want to trade him and Tex wants to come here, the Yankees may be very limited on what they can get for him because he could just block a trade to anywhere he wants...Although, you have to think he wants to win but you never know...maybe he would only want to come here?

I would be all over Tex if he's made available. That said, for the price tag on his head, I wouldn't give up much, especially considering we'd be allowing the Yanks to trade Tex for Pujols, essentially. Luke is still under team control for now right? How about Gregg, Luke, and Guts for Tex?

I am not one to hold grudges. But I am also not one to overpay for another team's rejects.

Teixeira wasn't worth 8/$180 mm when he signed his deal, and his performance over the last three years certainly shows he won't be worth the remaining $112.5 mm over the next five years. Fangraphs says he's been worth about $18.5 mm/yr for the first three years -- he'll almost certainly be worth less than that over the next 5. So, if the Yankees want to pay say $30 mm of his remaining contract, we can talk to them about a trade. Otherwise, forget it.

Deja vu

Why don't we discuss the possibility of the Yankees signing Pujols and then trading Teixeira to us. That could happen because Angelos will spend once Andy leaves. Surely Tex will then waive his no-trade clause to fulfill his hometown dream. Right?

Right?

I didn't think so.

Hell, if we were able to trade for Tex, I'd almost reconsider my stance on Papi as well. Our pitching would still suck, but how's this look for a lineup:

2b: Roberts (hell, I'm in fantasy land here anyway, might as well pretend BRob is healthy too)

RF: Kakes

1B: Tex

C: Wieters

CF: Jones

DH: Papi

SS: Hardy

3B: Reynolds

LF: Reimold

That's one strong looking lineup!

I think Tex made it obvious that he didn't want to play here, and for the most part, dissed Baltimore fans now don't want him here. Trading for him will cost us too much in talent and the money remaining on his contract is far too much to pay. We should concentrate on looking elsewhere.

First off, this entire thread is fantasy booking. That said, Tex has won his ring in NY. He sees the fans turning on him. I don't think it would be THAT far fetched that he would wave his no trade clause to come here.
Do you think that Pete Angelos picks up the tab on his salary? I don't.

11-16:$22.5M annually

I think Tex made it obvious that he didn't want to play here, and for the most part, dissed Baltimore fans now don't want him here. Trading for him will cost us too much in talent and the money remaining on his contract is far too much to pay. We should concentrate on looking elsewhere.

If the Yankees were truly going to go after King Albert, I don't think they would demand too much in players to get rid of Tex's contract. The Yankees are all about winning and will do whatever it takes to make their team better. If they can shed Tex's contract in place of Albert, they would do it.

First off, this entire thread is fantasy booking. That said, Tex has won his ring in NY. He sees the fans turning on him. I don't think it would be THAT far fetched that he would wave his no trade clause to come here.
Do you think that Pete Angelos picks up the tab on his salary? I don't.

To answer this question, look no further than the first line of my response above! Peter wouldn't pay HALF that, much less the whole thing!

Tex's WAR (BBRef)over the past 4 years

2008 - 7.3

2009 - 5.9

2010 - 4.1

2011 - 2.4 (Robert Andino's WAR for 2011 was 2.0)

His OPS+

2008 - 152

2009 - 141

2010 - 124

2011 - 117

Nah no thanks. I mean is there a chance he will bounce back, of course but at $22.5mm a year it's not a risk I am willing to take at this point.

Archived