Trade for Mark Teixeira?

jimbones

Would you want Tex to be an Oriole?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Tex to be an Oriole?

The guy didn't want to play for his home town Orioles. He is 32 and while I would be interested in him it would be on my terms. I am not helping the Yankees get better unless it better us and if I am giving $22M per year to Tex over the next 5 years than I want the Yankees to eat some of the contract. Giving the Yankees Guthrie and Gregg does free us of about $12-$14M this year, but that is about it. It also leaves us with another hole in the rotation and pen. I would rather give them a prospect like Tillman and Gregg. I could see the Nationals making a play for him if the Yankees ate some of that payroll which I would imagine that they would do. I want the 27-32 Tex on a 5-year deal and not the 32-37 Tex. That was the Yankees risk with that 8-year deal. You see it with Rodriguez, Tex and even Jeter to some extent.

The Yankees may need pitching, but they do have some coming through their system. The Yankees will be fine and may have another down year or two (by their standards) before reloading. Is there any team in baseball that would and could take Tex' 5/$112M deal at 32 over throwing that money plus another year at Fielder? If the Yankees will eat $4.5M of his salary per year over the next 5-years than I role the dice and would include Guthrie and Gregg in a deal with another prospect of some sort added in.

We are going to lose Guthrie and Gregg after next season anyway and the Orioles would still be in a position to add a quality pitcher or two into the mix. I am not sure on this one to be honest, but I do not see Fielder signing with us even of we offer the most money by offering an extra million per and one more year on the deal. Tex on the other hand may rather prefer to play out his year in Baltimore verses going to any other team. I pause for a second because he would look good in the Rangers, Braves or Angels lineup, but I do not think that the Braves could afford him. He could transform the Orioles offense into a top-5 lineup though.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tex's WAR (BBRef)over the past 4 years

2008 - 7.3

2009 - 5.9

2010 - 4.1

2011 - 2.4 (Robert Andino's WAR for 2011 was 2.0)

His OPS+

2008 - 152

2009 - 141

2010 - 124

2011 - 117

Nah no thanks. I mean is there a chance he will bounce back, of course but at $22.5mm a year it's not a risk I am willing to take at this point.

This is a good point. If you're gonna spend 22.5 a year for Tex, why not just spend the extra per year and go after Albert ourselves?

As for Fielder, the more I see this guy play during the playoffs, the more I am terrified of his weight issues. I'd pass on him unless he falls in our laps.

The question is is it worth it to overpay by $30mm to not give up any players?

If the option is A: take the contract and give them essentially a box of balls

OR

B: Yankees pay half his salary but want some decent players in return - what do you take?

I just don't see the Yankees getting much return without eating salary.

This is a good point. If you're gonna spend 22.5 a year for Tex, why not just spend the extra per year and go after Albert ourselves?

As for Fielder, the more I see this guy play during the playoffs, the more I am terrified of his weight issues. I'd pass on him unless he falls in our laps.

Yup, if the Yankees want to pick up say $10mm per year on his contract then maybe I think about it.

When the season started and there was talk of the possibility that the Yankees would trade him for Albert Pujols, Teixeira said that he wanted them to "bury him in pinstripes." He got his wish. No need to dig him up and bring him here.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/showthread.php/107300-Teixeira-Bury-Me-in-Pinstripes

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=6138531

Keep in mind that Albert was a 3b man at one point in his career. ARod isn't going anywhere, but could probably benefit from batting 6th for a while. Soo, what's stopping the Yankees from keeping Tex at 1st, moving ARod to DH, and signing Pujols to play 3rd?

Keep in mind that Albert was a 3b man at one point in his career. ARod isn't going anywhere, but could probably benefit from batting 6th for a while. Soo, what's stopping the Yankees from keeping Tex at 1st, moving ARod to DH, and signing Pujols to play 3rd?

Nothing is stopping them.

There is also nothing stopping them from Signing Albert for 1st, Fielder to DH, moving Tex to left, and what's his name that I always forget to right.

I was just about to post this. Posada is presumably gone, and ARod has had injury issues that have limited him to 116, 124, and 89 games at 3B the last three seasons. They could easily grab Pujols and have him and ARod share 3B/DH and give Teixeira some DH starts as well, with Pujols at 1B. I know they probably want to give Montero some DH starts but we're talking about the Yankees here and the kid is 21 years old.

Tex's WAR (BBRef)over the past 4 years

2008 - 7.3

2009 - 5.9

2010 - 4.1

2011 - 2.4 (Robert Andino's WAR for 2011 was 2.0)

His OPS+

2008 - 152

2009 - 141

2010 - 124

2011 - 117

Nah no thanks. I mean is there a chance he will bounce back, of course but at $22.5mm a year it's not a risk I am willing to take at this point.

But again, a lot of this is tied up in his BABIP being so low and perhaps, trying to do too much in NY.

I am not in favor of helping the Yankees out. I rather look else where like the Angels Trumbo, or Morales if he is 100% healthy. And i wouldn't mind seeing Reynolds at 1st and looking for a 3rd baseman instead. Besides lets say we do get someone like Tex to put in our line up we still won't win if we can't fix our pitching staff and bullpen.

No on Tex unless Yankees eat a lot of the contract. Even then, no on Tex. We don't need to be adding 30+ year old players to this team until we have some sort of young core beyond elite C and very good CF. Only way Tex makes sense is if we snag multiple Tex-caliber free agents (including pitchers) and Angelos is willing to bump payroll up to 125-150 million, which is ridiculously unlikely.

Archived