Trade for Mark Teixeira?

jimbones

Would you want Tex to be an Oriole?  

115 members have voted

1. 1. Would you want Tex to be an Oriole?

I feel as if we've been through this before :)

I voted no, and I will fully admit that much of my opinion is not based on his ability on the field. I never want to have to root for the guy. I did not mind him signing with the Yanks, I just did not like his attitude at the press conference.

I am not one to hold a grudge, but like I said, I'd much prefer to never have to root for him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Teixeira would immediately be our best offensive player true or false.

Hardy matched his 117 OPS+ and Reynolds exceeded it. I didn't check but I would be surprised if Tex's wOBA wasn't the highest of the three.

Given his rate of decline I would be surprised if Tex was the best offensive player on the team going forward (Wieters and Reimold are at 113, Jones 114).

His BABIP decreased in each of those years as well. Is he just getting unluckier as he gets older?

Like I said in another post, the $112.5mm still owed to him and his decreasing numbers and increasing age I don't think I am interested even if its for a bag of balls. If they are willing to eat $10-12mm annually and not want anything of significance in return then maybe I consider it. I don't like his trend at $22.5mm regardless of how much of it is related to luck/pressing..

Well, his LD% is slightly down but not by much and certainly not enough to justify a 239 BABIP.

But again, a lot of this is tied up in his BABIP being so low and perhaps, trying to do too much in NY.

Sorry Rob, that's nothing more than an excuse. I also could be that he's got old guy skills and he's starting to fall off. No way I want him for the kind of money he's making, even if I didn't despise him.

Sorry Rob, that's nothing more than an excuse. I also could be that he's got old guy skills and he's starting to fall off. No way I want him for the kind of money he's making, even if I didn't despise him.
No its not.

Go look at his numbers and you tell me what jumps out at you as alarming.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1281&position=1B

No its not.

Go look at his numbers and you tell me what jumps out at you as alarming.

http://www.fangraphs.com/statss.aspx?playerid=1281&position=1B

I don't know a ton about BABIP...but, is it possible that declining BABIP is a result of declining power? If you aren't hitting the ball as hard, isn't it safe to say that your BABIP would also decline? And, this jives with his declining ISO as well.

I don't hold a grudge against him at all. He's probably got several pretty good years left in him, and he's light years better than anyone we've had at 1B in the last decade. So, if there was a trade at the right price that otherwise made sense, the fact that he snubbed Baltimore three years ago wouldn't even be a consideration in my mind.

I don't know a ton about BABIP...but, is it possible that declining BABIP is a result of declining power? If you aren't hitting the ball as hard, isn't it safe to say that your BABIP would also decline? And, this jives with his declining ISO as well.

What declining ISO? His career ISO-P is .250. Last year it was .246, up from .225.

Was his ISO declining when it was .244 at age 28, when he hit free agency? What about when it was .232 as a 26 year old? There is no trend of decline in his ISO-P.

Forgetting for a moment how much his contract is, what it would take to get him, etc....With how much people seem to hate Tex around here, would you want him on the Orioles?

If we're talking only on the on-field side of things I'd certainly want him here. Even if you still hold a grudge you should want him here because his talent makes us better. You'd get over it if he helped us win.

Bringing in his contract and acquisition cost changes the game immensely for me, but that's not the question here.

What declining ISO? His career ISO-P is .250. Last year it was .246, up from .225.

Was his ISO declining when it was .244 at age 28, when he hit free agency? What about when it was .232 as a 26 year old? There is no trend of decline in his ISO-P.

Right.

Guys, look at his numbers. What is really alarming there?

What you notice is the drop in BA...But look at the BABIP and his LD%. Its not like LD% has dropped into the mid teens.

He is hitting more flyballs the last 3 years than he had before, which could speak to the drop in BABIP but all the way down below 240? That seems like an anamoly and that was in a year where he was satill worth almost 20M.

If we're throwing away the consideration of cost and what it would take to acquire him, I'll throw away logic and say, no, I don't want a guy who spurned his hometown team to go play for their most bitter rivals and then admitted when he was a kid he was one of the goofballs overrunning OPACY in Yanks' gear.

Archived