Olney: O's GM Candidates and Search Committee

VeveJones007

I haven't read much of the thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

It seems that many don't want Buck to have much or any influence over the hiring process and rightfully so imo. Many don't want most or any of the key decision makers in the organization to be retained; thus, I would assume they don't want them involved in the hiring process. I would assume most don't want PA to handle this task by himself or with minimal input.

So who exactly should be helping PA make this decision?

Thus the problem.

Most, if not all, of the people who work in the organization should be let go(talking baseball side of things here). The results, up and down the organization, are horrendous. PA is terrible and knows nothing. His son knows nothing.

Yet, if you brought in outside people to help, PA isn't likely to trust them.

So, end of the day, it doesn't matter who is on the committee because its going to be a big cluster anyway.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was looking at an Angels message board and one of the posters said the Orioles will "Wine and Dine" Tony Reagins.

JTrea's reputation has gone national. :laughlol:

I knew I should have trademarked those phrases...

I'd better get started on "MOO hitter." :cool:

Good insights from these writeups on DiPoto here and here. Ex-pitcher, strong player development and scouting background...and his track record on international signings should make some people happy. Learned from Dan O'Dowd in Colorado and Theo and company in Boston. The fact that he stayed in Arizona and managed the minor league and drafting side after filling in as interim GM to work for Kevin Towers when many people would have felt slighted and was positive and impactful speaks volumes about his maturity end emotional inteligence. Certainly see him getting along with Buck. This is also a guy that survived thyroid cancer and was part of the Cleveland Indian team in the early 90's that tragically lost 2 pitchers in a boating accident. He might just be the right person at the right time for this job. Terrific profile on mlb.com.

Some quotes:

"To me, Jerry Dipoto is the next up-and-coming star," Hall said. "He's going to be a very successful GM. Selfishly, I'm glad we still have him. I'd love to have him forever."

Said (Kevin) Towers: "He's worn almost every hat that you need to wear. He's been a closer, a big-league player, a scout, a special assistant, worked in development when he was with Colorado. He was an interim GM.

"He has tremendous recall. He knows players. He's very organized, thorough, people skills, work ethic. Really no negatives.

"Do I think he'll be a good GM? I think he'll be outstanding. I think he's already been outstanding."

When I sat down with KT and talked about the role I have today, I needed to hear him say that he wanted me to be here," Dipoto said. "I don't want to overstate it, but you can create political messes when you're the guy who sticks around when you're unwanted."

The two discussed team-building philosophy and realized they had common ground. Towers expressed his desire for Dipoto to stay on and mapped out the type of role he had in mind. Towers would handle the major-league side with Dipoto overseeing everything else.

Dipoto felt it was all he needed to hear. The organization was filled with people he believed in, and he believed long-term success was sustainable if the team kept its emphasis on its scouting and development.

For a few months one lost summer, he stood in and made the tough decisions, trading two pitchers when everyone in the game knew he had to. Lacking the leverage of patience, he turned Haren into Joe Saunders(notes) and three others, including lefty prospects Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin. For Jackson, he pulled Hudson and another lefty, David Holmberg.

Minor league depth isn’t all that sexy in big league towns, but it runs organizations, especially mid-market organizations.

Righty Daniel Hudson was among the players acquired at the 2010 trading deadline by interim general manager Jerry Dipoto. Hudson has a 22-10 record since joining the Arizona rotation.

“At the time, you really can’t explain that,” Dipoto said. “There’s not a lot of people waking up in Arizona throwing on a Mobile BayBears hat.”

Hudson is a 15-game winner at 24. Saunders is a reasonable back-end starter. Both file in behind Ian Kennedy, who has blossomed from New York Yankee disappointment into Diamondback ace. It’s going on two years since that three-way trade that brought Kennedy – the Detroit Tigers sent Curtis Granderson(notes) to the Yankees – and now it seems all three teams will ride parts of the trade into the postseason. Dipoto had scouted Kennedy from the time he entered USC, through the minor leagues, for each of a half-dozen starts in the ’09 Arizona Fall League and decided he was looking at a Mike Mussina knockoff.

“I do think he was unfairly labeled as a guy with ordinary stuff,” Dipoto said of Kennedy.

George A. King III of the New York Post reports that Yankees' amateur scouting director Damon Oppenheimer and head of professional scouting Billy Eppler are candidates for the Angels' vacant general manager job.

Oppenheimer, 49, is probably a more likely candidate than Eppler, 35, given that he has much more experience. He said there's nothing awkward about interviewing for the same job even though they're friends that work for the same organization. "That's part of growing up in a team atmosphere," said Oppenheimer. "I am happy for a teammate, happy he is getting the opportunity to interview also." Also known to be on the Angels' list is Diamondbacks executive Jerry Pipoto, who is interviewing for the Orioles' GM job, as well.

The list seems very fluid.Dipoto seems to be moving up. Locova and Jennings in the mix. Avila will probably get a chance if the Tigers get knocked out this weekend. Still going with my mid to end of next week GM hiring. This is the O's and some guys might turn them down but only so many GM jobs.

Thanks for the information.

George A. King III of the New York Post reports that Yankees' amateur scouting director Damon Oppenheimer and head of professional scouting Billy Eppler are candidates for the Angels' vacant general manager job.

Oppenheimer, 49, is probably a more likely candidate than Eppler, 35, given that he has much more experience. He said there's nothing awkward about interviewing for the same job even though they're friends that work for the same organization. "That's part of growing up in a team atmosphere," said Oppenheimer. "I am happy for a teammate, happy he is getting the opportunity to interview also." Also known to be on the Angels' list is Diamondbacks executive Jerry Pipoto, who is interviewing for the Orioles' GM job, as well.

Any chance we hire Dipoto before he leaves Baltimore this weekend? I mean, maybe Bisciotti can lend them his owners box for Sunday's Ravens game? :D

In all seriousness, seeing 70,000 screaming Ravens fans will give Dipoto a sense of what he could expect if he were to bring the Orioles back to prominence!

Any chance we hire Dipoto before he leaves Baltimore this weekend? I mean, maybe Bisciotti can lend them his owners box for Sunday's Ravens game? :D

In all seriousness, seeing 70,000 screaming Ravens fans will give Dipoto a sense of what he could expect if he were to bring the Orioles back to prominence!

A little. My guess is MLB would want the timing to land in between the CS and the WS if it can be done, but something tells me it will come after the WS on our end.

Archived