Olney: O's GM Candidates and Search Committee

VeveJones007

This is a great post. I, too, am worried about how this is all going to play out. If Buck is the de facto GM, then I'm not quite clear on what the role of someone we hire will be.

I hope my worries are for naught...but I know who we are talking about here. I think it's possible to find someone who will work with Buck to make this team better for now and the long run. I'm just sure we're not going to pick the right person.

I think its completely possible that the O's think outside the box here and essentially the Manager is the boss of the GM, in a certain way. I think Buck's role will be managing the team and influencing the GM to get players he wants for the major league roster. I think the GM's role will be to assemble those players for Buck, but also to take care of the rebuilding of the organization through the scouting and development side of things. I see no reason why that cannot work if done properly...ie...Angelos stays at home!

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think its completely possible that the O's think outside the box here and essentially the Manager is the boss of the GM, in a certain way. I think Buck's role will be managing the team and influencing the GM to get players he wants for the major league roster. I think the GM's role will be to assemble those players for Buck, but also to take care of the rebuilding of the organization through the scouting and development side of things. I see no reason why that cannot work if done properly...ie...Angelos stays at home!

Oh, I think it CAN be done, Dip. I just have no faith that Angelos is going to pick the right guy.

Having Buck on the committee is a terrible idea, if he has a decisive role. I know this goes against the grain of most peoples' thinking. But no GM worth his nuts would walk into a situation where the manager is his de facto boss. That way, if the team fails, it's your fault for not getting him the right players and he can push you out the door. The manager has too much control (which I think is part of what drove Andy out the door).

The fun of being a GM is assembling your team - and that includes picking a manager. So I think Angelos, if he's going to pick a new GM, should basically do so with the understanding that Buck may or may not be retained by that GM - either immediately or after next season, or whenever. The reason being, the GM might have his own ideas about what kind of players to acquire, and what style of baseball he wants to see on the field. If he cannot make his vision a reality on the field, than he's doing nothing but pushing papers, negotiating salaries once an offseason and getting coffee for Buck.

That is the model of dysfunctionality. So that's pretty much how I expect it to go down, seeing that this is the Orioles we're talking about.

It's ok, the new GM will be President of On Field Operations, and Buck will be Manager and Executive Assistant to Mr. Angelos. They'll have clearly defined roles and an iron-clad chain of command that'll never be violated, and Rick Dempsey will never go into Pete's office, put his feet up on the desk and undermine half the organization. I'm sure of it.

I think we should be looking at a 2015 window for competing and looking to deal anybody that's not gonna be around then to jump start the process. Hardy and Jones are our best chips. Weiters is our only true keeper (he could be had too for a haul, though) Get a GM that understands scouting and development, put good people under him in key positions, then KABOOM. We will lose 90-100 in 12,13,14. Avoid Hobgoods and Rowells and strike absolute gold on every other first rounder. Do better in rounds 2-9. By 2015-6 you might have a sustainable contender.

I'm pretty sure Buck doesn't feel like waiting around that long. I think we might pick a guy that believes the above and could do it. But with Buck entrenched and in PAs ear, you could have another recipe for classic Os dysfunction.

Interesting. I think this is exactly how the Front Office will pitch the job to the interviewees. If one of the GM's major duties is to rebuild the organization through the scouting and development side of things, isn't LaCava the guy?

Does anyone have any insight on Al Avila?

Edit: Another guy with experience in the international market...hmm.

Maybe I'm reading into things, but it seems like most of the candidates have a background in overseas scouting.

On the international front, Avila led the way to the 1999 signing of infielder Miguel Cabrera who made it to the major leagues in 2003 at the age of 20 and clubbed four home runs during the post-season for the World Champion Florida Marlins...also was instrumental in the signing of second baseman Luis Castillo and shortstop Alex Gonzalez as well as shortstop Edgar Renteria.

Named director of scouting for the Marlins in July 1998...was responsible for all of the Marlins scouting efforts on both the national and international levels and he oversaw the development of those players in the baseball academies in the Dominican Republic and Venezuela.

http://mlb.mlb.com/det/team/team_frontoffice_bio.jsp?loc=al_avila

Per Connolly:
Logan White is another good name. Don't know DeJon Watson.

Reagins did some good things in Anaheim and would essentially be in the same, the manager is the GM situation that he was in before. Would he want that again?

Would like to see Hahn interviewed as well.

Per Connolly:

Some other Connolly Tweets following this one:

Some names came off list during meeting w Angelos, showalter today. Others added back on. Others could b added If permission is denied

Hopefully that means Ricardi is not on the list.

In fact, someone asked Connolly, "No Riccardi?" to which he replied:

@lagranderusty Not that we've been told. Could change, I guess.
Of the Orioles suspected wish list, the only ones that hadn't been mentioned before were Reagins and Watson. Now permission round begins
@Hheever That's the one. Al Avila is exceptionally respected asst GM of Tigers. Would be another good fit for #Orioles

Someone asked Connolly if Byrnes and Hunsicker were in the O's plans, to which he replied:

@BIGR32 At least not at this point, from what we are hearing

Reagins did some good things in Anaheim and would essentially be in the same, the manager is the GM situation that he was in before. Would he want that again?

Watson is with the Dodgers currently.

MLBTR Interview:

Watson’s current role includes hiring minor league coaches, overseeing Latin American player development and providing input on Major League transactions. The Diamondbacks interviewed him for their general manager opening last fall and his peers say he could soon become a GM.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/09/gm-candidate-de-jon-watson-.html

Is it at all possible that Angelos has shifted his opinion on international FA's?

I'm know it's risky to get excited but...I'm kinda excited.

MLBTR Interview:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/09/gm-candidate-de-jon-watson-.html

Is it at all possible that Angelos has shifted his opinion on international FA's?

I'm know it's risky to get excited but...I'm kinda excited.

We shall see...I was actually thinking the same thing.

A lot of the guys they have mentioned have done a lot internationally.

Has Buck convinced him that he needs to do this?

Archived