Olney: O's GM Candidates and Search Committee

VeveJones007

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree to an extent.

BMat has nothing to do with Britton but the bottom line is one year does not a career make.

I don't think acc put that correctly but I have to think that's what he was getting at.

I imagine this is a point that we agree on (there are actually a lot of points we agree on, but we never focus on those). Britton has a distribution of future probable performances. Nothing is certain with him. But, while Matusz might be a reminder that we shouldn't bank on these, his collapse doesn't offer any direct information on Britton. And most of us don't need to be reminded that pitching is prone to all kinds of ups-and-downs.

I would argue that Guthrie is hardly a certainty, himself. Though he's a very solid probability for something like 200 IP at 4.50 ERA.

I agree to an extent.

BMat has nothing to do with Britton but the bottom line is one year does not a career make.

I don't think acc put that correctly but I have to think that's what he was getting at.

Last off season I wanted us to get 2, possibly 3 SPs because we couldn't just bank on anyone but Guthrie being productive.

This year we are in the same boat. Arrieta and Britton have to be in that question mark category until they have sustained success. I guess you know what you have in Hunter.

I agree to an extent.

That is what my point was. We all thought Matusz was a staple in our starting rotation for years to come based on his performance down the stretch last season. I'm not saying Britton will do the same things wrong that Matsuz has done, but he remains a question mark on how he will perform in the future just because his sample size is not there. Guthrie has a pretty steady track record now and you pretty much no what to expect from him.

I would like to see the team commit to one direction. Either sign Wilson & Jackson and Fielder or sign Wang/Garland & Kouzmanoff and trade for a salary dump SP. Straddling the line isn't going to do any good for this organization.

I'm not saying I would prefer to see one or the other scenario (or that either scenario I outlined was ideal), just that this team seems not to understand where they stand.

That is what my point was. We all thought Matusz was a staple in our starting rotation for years to come based on his performance down the stretch last season. I'm not saying Britton will do the same things wrong that Matsuz has done, but he remains a question mark on how he will perform in the future just because his sample size is not there. Guthrie has a pretty steady track record now and you pretty much no what to expect from him.

Dad,

We have a stable of mediocre pitchers now. Some could be strengths in the bullpen, like: Jo-Jo Reyes, Jake Arrieta, Tommy Hunter, Alfredo Simon, Brad Bergesen, Chris Tillman (obviously all these players are at different stages of their career and you would be inclined to give preferential treatment to some, but all things considered, they're likely to perform similarly in 2012). All can probably be counted on to provide a 4.75-5.25 ERA in however many IP they're given. Players like Britton can be counted on for a little bit more, I think, but depth is a quality we've lacked (even mediocre depth) for a very long time. If Britton struggles next year like Matusz, we need to be able to insert someone in the rotation who can stop the bleeding. I think we'll be able to do that next year. What we need is more guaranteed performance. Even Guthrie is really only a lock for a 4.25-4.50.

We should sign Wilson or Jackson or some other FA SP because we need good players, not because we need to replace Britton.

Derek

I am hoping the Orioles have a different list...a much different list.

Don't worry, Law said yesterday that his source says Riccardi isn't on their list, contrary to what Buster said a week ago. The only people EVERYONE seems to hear the same thing on are LaCava, Jennings, DiPoto, so I'd have to say that's your leading 3 with DiPoto leading the race because he's got an interview scheduled already.

Don't worry, Law said yesterday that his source says Riccardi isn't on their list, contrary to what Buster said a week ago. The only people EVERYONE seems to hear the same thing on are LaCava, Jennings, DiPoto, so I'd have to say that's your leading 3 with DiPoto leading the race because he's got an interview scheduled already.
I hope Law is right...BTW, apparently Law and JP don't like each other all that much.

I would be happy with Dipoto. He has done some good things in Zona.

I hope Law is right...BTW, apparently Law and JP don't like each other all that much.

I would be happy with Dipoto. He has done some good things in Zona.

Yeah it got me reading between the lines. I started thinking about Law not liking JP, and it brought me back to that whole story from LaCava, A.A. and Law working under JP. The 3 of them all had a differing approach and didn't agree with JP but he didn't want to listen to them. If every source is saying we are in on LaCava, why would we be in on a guy that is COMPLETELY opposite in JP?

I think it was speculation and misdirection, but I haven't seen anyone besides Olney say anything about JP, so I wouldn't worry.

It's in Ricciardi's interest to have his name floated. If it's not, it becomes increasingly unlikely each go-around that he'll be considered a viable replacement (kind of like HOF voting). My guess is he has someone w/ some distance who's planting his name in the ear of journalists.

Archived