Olney: O's GM Candidates and Search Committee

VeveJones007

Per Olney:

Current list of Baltimore GM candidates: Thad Levine, Josh Byrnes, J.P. Ricciardi, Tony LaCava, Gerry Hunsicker, Dan Jennings, maybe more.

http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/123864992981319680

Orioles are forming a group to conduct the GM interviews.

http://twitter.com/#!/Buster_ESPN/status/123865445324435456

Looks like a pretty good list.

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fine lists, particularly if they bump Ricciardi and somehow (against all their self-imposed odds) manage to make "maybe more" into something other than "worst possible choice."

I'm extremely pleased by Buster Olney's tweet that the O's are forming a group to conduct GM interviews. Best news in sometime. Now, like Scott said, who will comprise that group? Will there be former players like Palmer, Cal, Eddie, and Brady? Former Execs like Gillick, Robinson, Hemond, B. Martinez? (Gillick and Hemond still advisors elsewhere) Contracted 3rd parties like Baseball Prospectus, FanGraphs, or Baltimore Native Dan Szymborski? (ESPN / Baseball Think Factory).

Probably Cohen, Snyder, Eisenberg, and Katzenberg. The people's choice!

Probably Cohen, Snyder, Eisenberg, and Katzenberg. The people's choice!

As I'm sure most of us are aware, Angelos is the ONLY partner in his law firm because he trusts no one.

Do we really think anyone besides him and maybe a little input from Buck is going to pick the GM?

The "interview team" will probably be Dempsey, Orsulak, Posada, and Clancy. Not Tom Clancy, part owner, but Clancy: the beer vendor!

I'm just speculating here, but it's obvious that Showalter has ambitions to move into a FO position, probably as GM, at some point in the future. His contract with the Orioles expires in two years, after the 2013 season. I find it interesting that the Orioles would expect that a quality, experienced GM would walk into a situation where its likely that the guy who had a say in your hiring will likely replace you after two years. That is, unless Angelos is preparing to reintroduce the two-headed monster in the FO.

As I'm sure most of us are aware, Angelos is the ONLY partner in his law firm because he trusts no one.

Do we really think anyone besides him and maybe a little input from Buck is going to pick the GM?

The "interview team" will probably be Dempsey, Orsulak, Posada, and Clancy. Not Tom Clancy, part owner, but Clancy: the beer vendor!

I mentioned Smouse because I thought he sat in on the Buck and Wedge interviews.

How pathetic that this committee is being formed now even though most observers, which should have included PGA and Showalter, understood that MacPhail was leaving in September or earlier. And shame on MacPhail for not making his intentions clear so the Orioles move forward sooner. You didn't want to stay so let Angelos know, okay?

Personally...I think Clancy the beer vendor should make all decisions in the FO. Hell...he should be the GM.

It's a good list, with the glaring exception of Ricciardi. He's by far the worst candidate, and I have a really bad feeling he'll wind up with the job because he has GM experience, and experience in the AL East at that. This is the same feeling I got when I heard the Orioles were looking into Kevin Gregg last offseason.

It's a good list, with the glaring exception of Ricciardi. He's by far the worst candidate, and I have a really bad feeling he'll wind up with the job because he has GM experience, and experience in the AL East at that. This is the same feeling I got when I heard the Orioles were looking into Kevin Gregg last offseason.

Yeah I read it and was like...one of these things is not like the other....I don't get why he's even on the list, he seems to be opposite the tendencies the other guys all have. Pretty much anyone else on that list I'm A-OK with, although Levine, Byrnes and Lacava would lead the pack for me personally.

Archived