Olney: O's GM Candidates and Search Committee

VeveJones007

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Little bummed to hear about Levine since I liked what I had heard abut I've heard good things about DiPoto too. I hope they can interview LaCava. I hope they're going with someone fairly young honestly since most of hte older candidates are retreads that don't impress me much.

Al Avila is not a retread. Actually, most aren't. Only Reagins and and Riccairdi are.

Al Avila is not a retread. Actually, most aren't. Only Reagins and and Riccairdi are.

I know. I just brought up DiPoto in specific because the D-Backs gave us permission to interview him. Avila? I assume he's the dad of Alex. I am glad most of them are fresh names honestly. And that Riccardi is at the bottom if he's there at all. Not too big on Reagins honestly. Just not impressed with his LAA stint. The Wells trade has to be one of the worst.

Well, just when we have hope Buster Olney gets on the twitter and makes a tweet that conflicts with what we've been hearing:

There is a short list of decision-makers with the Orioles. And J.P. Ricciardi is among the group on their short list.

Per Don Olsen of Orioles Nation:

Keith Law agrees.

Law hears from his sources that J.P. Ricciardi isn't currently on the Orioles' short list of general manager candidates, as was reported on Tuesday by Law's ESPN colleague Buster Olney. Law worked for the Blue Jays' front office from 2002-06 when Ricciardi was the team's general manager.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2011/10/law-on-epstein-sizemore-votto-ricciardi.html

Some info from my friend that knows Tony LaCava:

-Thad is more an admin guy, doesn't have player development or a scouting background

-Dipoto actually fired my friend's father, so more dirt coming there, but probably cannot reveal much out of respect. I did hear he is a bit of a control freak so he could contrast Buck's personality, not complement it.

-He said the guy from the Marlin's is a good choice if Tony doesn't work for whatever reason.

-Tony was offered an assistant GM spot with the Red Sox when Theo was there and was also contacted to fill the Red Sox vacancy when Theo stepped down briefly before (I didn't know about this or forgot that he did). Bottom line-the Red Sox have been interested in Tony in the past, but now the hot rumor is they will fill from within.

I will post what I can moving forward. Go O's!

Update: Just heard Cherington may have the job in Boston

Some info from my friend that knows Tony LaCava:

-Thad is more an admin guy, doesn't have player development or a scouting background

-Dipoto actually fired my friend's father, so more dirt coming there, but probably cannot reveal much out of respect. I did hear he is a bit of a control freak so he could contrast Buck's personality, not complement it.

-He said the guy from the Marlin's is a good choice if Tony doesn't work for whatever reason.

-Tony was offered an assistant GM spot with the Red Sox when Theo was there and was also contacted to fill the Red Sox vacancy when Theo stepped down briefly before (I didn't know about this or forgot that he did). Bottom line-the Red Sox have been interested in Tony in the past, but now the hot rumor is they will fill from within.

I will post what I can moving forward. Go O's!

Update: Just heard Cherington may have the job in Boston

That was in '05 I believe.

I haven't read much of the thread so forgive me if this has already been mentioned.

It seems that many don't want Buck to have much or any influence over the hiring process and rightfully so imo. Many don't want most or any of the key decision makers in the organization to be retained; thus, I would assume they don't want them involved in the hiring process. I would assume most don't want PA to handle this task by himself or with minimal input.

So who exactly should be helping PA make this decision?

Archived