Why do people dislike the Stockstills?

ChaosLex

Th Pro Scouting Director is responsible for providing information on other teams organization and players, useful in making trades and signing FA. I can't see how anyone can judge whether the quality of this information was good or not. Simply citing trade or FA acquisitions, made or not made during his tenure, wouldn't necessarily reflect on the quality of information.

The director of professional scouting is Lee MacPhail IV. The director of player development is John Stockstill.

They are two separate jobs. John Stockstill once held the position of director of international scouting, but has never been the professional scouting director.

Here's the hirearchy:

Executive Management

Chairman of the Board/Chief Executive Officer: Peter G. Angelos

Vice Chairman, Community Projects & Public Affairs: Thomas L. Clancy, Jr.

Executive Vice President: John P. Angelos

General Counsel: H. Russell Smouse

Business/Administration

Vice President/Chief Financial Officer: Robert A. Ames, CPA

Vice President, Planning and Development: Janet Marie Smith

Vice President/Special Liaison to Chairman: Lou Kousouris

Baseball Operations

President, Baseball Operations: vacant

Director, Amateur Scouting: vacant

Director, Baseball Operations: Matt Klentak

Director, Professional Scouting: Lee MacPhail IV

Director, International Scouting: David Stockstill

Director, Player Development: John Stockstill

Assistant Director, Player Development: Tripp Norton

Coordinator, Minor League Instructions: Brian Graham

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The director of professional scouting is Lee MacPhail IV. The director of player development is John Stockstill.

They are two separate jobs. John Stockstill once held the position of director of international scouting, but has never been the professional scouting director.

Wrong. As I posted before.

Stockstill, whose brother Dave is the Orioles’ farm director, became the Orioles’ director of professional scouting.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/051222wilkin.html

I think you'll agree, after reading the bold part of your quote that it really doesn't matter who they hire. They could fire Stockstill and I wouldn't complain, but the new director would suck just as bad. As long as PA is holding the reins, it just doesn't matter. (Cue Bill Murray)
Yes, I do agree...But I still feel there is a right way and a wrong way of doing things and I don't think this sets the right precedent for a new incoming GM.

Well BA is wrong. That list is right from the Orioles website.

Dave Stockstill is now Director, International Scouting, the position his brother had who now has his job.

What's your point? John Stockstill was hired as Director of Pro Scouting. He then went to do Int'l. Then Player Development.

I don't need a tutorial from someone who doesn't have even a basic grasp of the facts.*

*Feel free to apply this to any number of your posts.

We've sucked for many years. What are the common denominators between all these teams? There's four that I can think of: Camden Yards, the city of Baltimore, Angelos, and the Stockstills.

Obviously the problem isn't because of OPACY or Baltimore. Angelos and the Stockstills are all you're left with.

We've sucked for many years. What are the common denominators between all these teams? There's four that I can think of: Camden Yards, the city of Baltimore, Angelos, and the Stockstills.

Obviously the problem isn't because of OPACY or Baltimore. Angelos and the Stockstills are all you're left with.

Don't forget Richie Bancells!

Those of you want John Stockstill gone may get your wish:

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2011/10/graham-a-leading-candidate-for-farm-director.html

Graham completed his fourth season in the Orioles' minor league system. His current duties involve overseeing the teaching and instructional process for the six affiliates.

Before joining the Orioles, Graham spent six seasons as the Pirates' director of player development. During that period, the Pirates' system produced the second-highest total of home grown players to reach the majors. Not that they were potentially blocked by big-ticket free agents, but nonetheless...

The Pirates' affiliates also finished with the fourth-best overall winning percentage among the 30 major league organizations and were honored as the 2002 Tops Baseball Organization of the Year.Graham also served as Pittsburgh's interim general manager in September 2007.

I was told by many people that Graham would make a good major league manager. He had a lot of success in the minors, with his teams in the Indians' organization finishing above .500 for all nine seasons. He was in charge of eight straight playoff teams and compiled a 704-491 record.

Archived