O's, Duquette close to deal

mrr185

@Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

A longtime associate of Dan Duquette: "Really happy for him, because he has been craving another chance. He will put in a lot of time."

Wouldn't a desperate person who has been detached for 10 years more likely to be less demanding and concede to certain conditions (like you must keep the current staff)?

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well. Then I am sure he will be back.

bigbird stopped posting because he got tired of being insulted by people who thought he was faking that he had a source, which was ridiculous. It's too bad, because even aside from his insider tidbits, he was very knowledgeable about baseball and the team. I'm sorry he left, and I don't expect him back.

FWIW, Im really looking forward to Dan Duquette becoming our new GM, even though his name was unheard of in the beginning, I really think this is the type of guy that is a good fit for us. He is a guy that has been out of baseball, after 2002, and is probably looking to prove the haters wrong. Honestly, no one probably thinks that he is going to come in and do a marvelous job. The quote from Onley was very inspiring. I think the future is bright for he and the Orioles. The guy is gonna work his butt off to show the critics that he is just as good as he was with he Expos and Sox.

FWIW, Im really looking forward to Dan Duquette becoming our new GM, even though his name was unheard of in the beginning, I really think this is the type of guy that is a good fit for us. He is a guy that has been out of baseball, after 2002, and is probably looking to prove the haters wrong. Honestly, no one probably thinks that he is going to come in and do a marvelous job. The quote from Onley was very inspiring. I think the future is bright for he and the Orioles. The guy is gonna work his butt off to show the critics that he is just as good as he was with he Expos and Sox.

My biggest worry about Duquette is that he won't be up to speed on some of the analytics that have been developed between 2002 and now. Epstein brought that to Boston and then the Yankees devoted a lot of resources to catch up. I don't think the Orioles are anywhere near up to par in that area. I would have liked to sign a GM from a team that is on the cutting edge who could bring some of that to Baltimore. But, if Duquette is smart, he will hire some good people who can take care of it.

I guess Oppenhiemer does not even want to interview. Does it bother you that Duquette has been out of MLB since 2002? Usually it's an old boy network and guys go from team to team. Why has he not been in baseball that long? Also do you think Klentak will be with the O's past this year?

Duquette has been doing a lot of baseball related stuff with his Dan Duquette Sports Academy. He may have been using this time to spend with his family. I heard from a few people in the organization and they seem to think Duquette is a great baseball guy who is a heavy scouting and development guy. They said between Buck and Duquette there could be some real change in both areas.

My biggest worry about Duquette is that he won't be up to speed on some of the analytics that have been developed between 2002 and now. Epstein brought that to Boston and then the Yankees devoted a lot of resources to catch up. I don't think the Orioles are anywhere near up to par in that area. I would have liked to sign a GM from a team that is on the cutting edge who could bring some of that to Baltimore. But, if Duquette is smart, he will hire some good people who can take care of it.

Perhaps Deuxquette has been using his time away from the game to immerse himself in wilderness training...you know, power-lifting downed trees, hammering away at huge chunks of frozen meat, tearing through sabermetric tombs with his bare hands? Or maybe he's been tucked away, deep inside China, studiously centering his chi at a Shaolin Temple in anticipation of another go-round as a MLB GM (while simultaneously working to ensure that the Earth-realm dominates the next Mortal Kombat).

Or maybe I watched too many crappy movies.

If Duquette is who gets the job, I would be shocked by a quiet off-season. We may not agree with moves made, but would expect Baltimore to be active.

I disagree, at least as far as the big league level. I would pray he's very active in getting the development system overhauled. Bottom line is we absolutely have confederate money which I'm not completely buying that ANgelos is willing to spend, but confederate money nonetheless. On the trade front I absolutely am firm in my belief that there are going to be guys off limits as to who we can trade. There is no way Angelos is going to let Duquettte trade Markakis and probably not Jones either. Bottom line is Duquette has been out of baseball for a close to a decade. He was itching to get another chance. I believe unlike some other guys he was more desperate and therfore willing to accept conditions Angelos puts on the position.

AM had his philosophies...They were going to be what he wanted to whether he had a lot of money or a little money.

He had a belief of how things had to be built.

He had never signed a significant FA and he didn't sign one here. So, the question is, what are Duq's philosophies?

Duquette has been doing a lot of baseball related stuff with his Dan Duquette Sports Academy. He may have been using this time to spend with his family. I heard from a few people in the organization and they seem to think Duquette is a great baseball guy who is a heavy scouting and development guy. They said between Buck and Duquette there could be some real change in both areas.

Well this is exactly what we wanted to get out of LaCava, so let's hope he can get it done. Something needs to happen to fix our problem with developing talent.

Archived