O's, Duquette close to deal

mrr185

I disagree, at least as far as the big league level. I would pray he's very active in getting the development system overhauled. Bottom line is we absolutely have confederate money which I'm not completely buying that ANgelos is willing to spend, but confederate money nonetheless and on the trade front I absolutely am firm in my belief that there are going to be guys off limits as to who we can trade. There is no way Angelos is going to let Duquettte trade Markakis and probably not Jones either.

On the player side of things, I'm a lot more interested in what influence Showalter will bring to bear than Angelos. I also don't forsee a budget as low as AM routinely worked with. I think very few players would be off-limits if Buck agrees with Duquette's assessment and I think that Duquette would be a fool to step into a situation as financially restricted as 2008-2010, so I doubt he will accept an offer too compromised from the start.

If PA wants to remain intractable? Start the countdown to the Stockstill era.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AM (rightly or wrongly) also believed in patience and building. My 10 second psycho-analysis on Duquette is that his ego will demand making larger moves.
But the issue with that is how much money is available and what players are out there to go out and make a big splash with in terms of a trade.

He made those moves in the past but he had ammo...the Orioles have very little ammo.

I also get the sense that maybe he isn't the right guy to build things properly.

bigbird stopped posting because he got tired of being insulted by people who thought he was faking that he had a source, which was ridiculous. It's too bad, because even aside from his insider tidbits, he was very knowledgeable about baseball and the team. I'm sorry he left, and I don't expect him back.

I remember this, but I also remember his constant bashing of AM. When people called him out on it, he ran away with his tail between his legs. I liked him too, but he was definitely emotionally attached with the way AM was treating people, and it impacted his ability to have a rational O's conversation in the MacPhail era. That to me is more of why he left than the other thing.

I see Duquette's abrasive personality and apparent chip on his shoulder as his greatest assets at this point. Hopefully this is official tonight so we can collectively move on.

Ditto. He is hungry to show the rest of the baseball world what he can do. He has to be itching to get back. It will be exciting, I think he will work harder with a bullseye on his back.

I remember this, but I also remember his constant bashing of AM. When people called him out on it, he ran away with his tail between his legs. I liked him too, but he was definitely emotionally attached with the way AM was treating people, and it impacted his ability to have a rational O's conversation in the MacPhail era. That to me is more of why he left than the other thing.

He certainly was not happy with what went on with Jim Duke and Flanny in the wake of Peter bringing in Andy over top.

There is zero chance our payroll goes to 100 mil. If anyone wants to take that bet I have an open offer. In fact, I'll go as far as to say if you give me an over/ under at the 85 mil we were at last year that I would take the under.

He certainly was not happy with what went on with Jim Duke and Flanny in the wake of Peter bringing in Andy over top.

And who could blame him? That's the down side of knowing folks personally who are so involved with the O's. It's great to be on the in, but it's crushing to see how folks are actually impacted by the down fall in a very real, human manner.

Right. He constantly bashed AM after the transition and was called out on it and rightfully so. I absolutely believe he had a legit source and wasn't faking that unlike others at the time. The problem was his source was still pretty unreliable. FOr me I'm so glad Tony did away with all that nonsense. Nothing personal against the guys dishing the dirt but it was way too much.

If this happens, this could be the best thing to happen to the Orioles. The LaCava thing had to humble Angelos some. Duquette will likely mesh better with Showalter since Showalter is more likely to respect a guy that has been around and done it. Finally, Angelos is less likely to question a guy with experience versus a guy who has never done the job.

More Connolly:

If Duquette is offered & takes job -- both seem likely -- the ? is who he brings in after being gone 9 yrs. He'll need scouting dir & others
One source said about Duquette and who he may bring in: "Make no mistake, he still knows plenty of good people."

I don't hate this if it happens. DD was one of the original boy-wonder GM's, and even though he's been out of baseball for 9+ years, you don't spend 25 years in MLB and not know good people still. He's a very smart man, and I'm certain he'll be more aggressive in his plan than Andy was. Whether the plan will be a good one, well, your guess is as good as mine.

Archived