O's, Duquette close to deal

mrr185

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well yea..he hasn't had an oppurtunity in almost a decade.

I didn't want to say anything, but this is the second thread I've seen over the last several days in which you've spelled "opportunity" as "oppurtunity."

(three times in one post, actually)

I don't hate this if it happens. DD was one of the original boy-wonder GM's, and even though he's been out of baseball for 9+ years, you don't spend 25 years in MLB and not know good people still. He's a very smart man, and I'm certain he'll be more aggressive in his plan than Andy was. Whether the plan will be a good one, well, your guess is as good as mine.

Isn't that a little bit like picking up a Sega Saturn a few weeks after the release of the Xbox 360?

I didn't want to say anything, but this is the second thread I've seen over the last several days in which you've spelled "opportunity" as "oppurtunity."

(three times in one post, actually)

Isn't that a little bit like picking up a Sega Saturn a few weeks after the release of the Xbox 360?

No, I don't believe it is. Duke has a track record of outstanding player development, and each franchise that he headed was better off for it. The game has changed in 9 years, but I'm pretty sure that he has the internet, and a lot of lifelong friends who are still involved in baseball so I dont believe he's outdated.

No, I don't believe it is. Duke has a track record of outstanding player development, and each franchise that he headed was better off for it. The game has changed in 9 years, but I'm pretty sure that he has the internet, and a lot of lifelong friends who are still involved in baseball so I dont believe he's outdated.

Hmm...well, either way, he's going to have to figure out a way to intellectually plug into an outlet from 1890. I guess time will tell.

Boston's new GM Ben Cherington is one. He and Duquette were classmates at Amherst and Duq was responsible for getting him into the Red Sox organization and later promoting him into his first scouting job.

If Duquette is who gets the job, I would be shocked by a quiet off-season. We may not agree with moves made, but would expect Baltimore to be active.
If you are right, praise the lord! This slower-than-molasses, penny-pinching, someday-we-might-challenge-for-fourth-place nonsense needs to end. NOW. They need to start breaking some damn eggs to make an omelette. To me, AM proved himself pennywise and pound foolish. I'm hoping whoever comes in next just brings in talent at all levels, as quickly as possible... in order to start tacking on wins and constantly improve starting today. Please don't come in and announce another five-year plan!!

Whoa. Did I just say all that out loud? Bottom line: I would actually rather see them bring in Duq over my boy, Levine, IF.... IF.... IF they're only bringing in one guy. In other words, Levine would have been totally unprepared for the triangulation and power struggle with Buckelos. His first gig and he's struggling with two of the most bull-headed, opinionated and single-minded people in baseball? That would not have gone well.

My ultimate scenario would have been a guy like Duquette or Hart coming in as Prez... and Levine as GM. But if you're only getting one guy, you need a guy who can stand up to and/or "manage" Angelos... and also put Buck in his place. Duq might be that guy.

Jesus christ shut up both of you. You are misinterpreting what I am talking about.

YES it is a trainwreck. It deserves to be under a microscope and I am sure that the Orioles have had many people turn them down for various reasons.

All I was asking is, during a normal search, how many interviews are declined that we never hear about because its not really big news like it is RIGHT NOW.

I am not trying to spin that this isn't embarrassing or a complete farce, just asking a question. Just a thought, that is all.

When Theo Epstein resigned in 2005, the Sox were in disarray even after having just won the World Series in 2004. As we saw this year things hadn't changed that month with lots of power plays and dysfunctional behavior. The difference is they spent money and won/contended. AngelOs would be far less of an issue if the record was better. Don't expect things to ever be stable under Angelos, but smart a smart aggressive baseball exec can win here short term. Here is the article from 2005 http://articles.boston.com/2005-11-18/sports/29221087_1_red-sox-theo-epstein-general-manager. Sound familiar? LaCava turned that job down also.

When Theo Epstein resigned in 2005, the Sox were in disarray even after having just won the World Series in 2004. As we saw this year things hadn't changed that month with lots of power plays and dysfunctional behavior. The difference is they spent money and won/contended. AngelOs would be far less of an issue if the record was better. Don't expect things to ever be stable under Angelos, but smart a smart aggressive baseball exec can win here short term. Here is the article from 2005 http://articles.boston.com/2005-11-18/sports/29221087_1_red-sox-theo-epstein-general-manager. Sound familiar? LaCava turned that job down also.

Interesting.

Some here have called DD arrogant and abrasive, and seen to think that will help in dealing with Angelos. If DD is that way with Angelos he will not last a year as GM. I think he is smarter than that. I think he will become an ally to Buck and the two of them will work together to get what the help from Peter.

Some here have called DD arrogant and abrasive, and seen to think that will help in dealing with Angelos. If DD is that way with Angelos he will not last a year as GM. I think he is smarter than that. I think he will become an ally to Buck and the two of them will work together to get what the help from Peter.

Fight fire with fire? Or at least jackassery with jackassery.

Dan Duquette turned down an encore with Boston in 2005? That says a lot.

Archived