O's, Duquette close to deal

mrr185

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When Theo Epstein resigned in 2005, the Sox were in disarray even after having just won the World Series in 2004. As we saw this year things hadn't changed that month with lots of power plays and dysfunctional behavior. The difference is they spent money and won/contended. AngelOs would be far less of an issue if the record was better. Don't expect things to ever be stable under Angelos, but smart a smart aggressive baseball exec can win here short term. Here is the article from 2005 http://articles.boston.com/2005-11-18/sports/29221087_1_red-sox-theo-epstein-general-manager. Sound familiar? LaCava turned that job down also.

Thank you for that. Very interesting.

Dan Duquette turned down an encore with Boston in 2005? That says a lot.

Read the whole paragraph and you'll get the joke (altho starting with Gammons shd have been enough of a clue!):

Among others also believed to have turned down the once-prestigious Sox job are Peter Gammons, Dan Duquette, Lou Gorman, Bill James, Bob Lobel, Jack Welch, Jerry Remy, Stephen Stills, Joseph Abboud, Sean McDonough, Sargent Shriver, Wendi Nix, Stevie Nicks, Alice Cook, Cookie Gilchrist, and Jerry Mathers as the Beaver.

I am still confused.. Will My Orioles EVER hire anyone???

Cindy, I think the O's are waiting to get your approval. I didn't see you give your approval for DiPoto or LaCava or Watson, so naturally the O's would not sign them. They know they need your approval to move forward.

Would you give your approval to sign Duquette?

Absolutely.

Pedro Martinez and Manny Ramirez were risks that MacPhail would never take in a million years, and a huge reason why Boston won the WS in 2004.

Do you really think Angelos will be willing to pick up those huge salary?s players like them will be making?

Hmm... So this from Heyman earlier Saturday evening:

Orioles regretted letting lacava leave w/o locking him up. tor improved lacavas situation. Dan Duquette less likely to say no

And now this from Connolly:

Accdng to an industry source, the #Orioles did not offer Dan Duquette the gm job during Sat's meeting. There is still the sense they will

@danconnollysun

Dan Connolly

Accdng to an industry source' date=' the #Orioles did not offer Dan Duquette the gm job during Sat's meeting. There is still the sense they will[/quote']

LOL-well, why not?? What are they waiting for exactly? I guess they want to interview the long list of candidates lining up for the job:scratchchinhmm:

Archived