Duquette not a big Markakis fan?

Going Underground

Duqette talks alot more then MacPhail. He seems to be all over and missed the media. Glad to know he is moving here.

Duquette has lived in Acton since 1994, when he became the Red Sox’ general manager. Soon, he will move to the Baltimore area, but he said he will miss Acton.

http://www.wickedlocal.com/acton/features/x1627417483/Duquette-returns-to-Majors-with-Orioles#axzz1e3oI3Lc5

http://audio.weei.com/a/48664561/dan-duquette-talks-about-his-new-role-as-gm-of-the-orioles-and-looks-back-on-his-time-in-boston.htm

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick's lack of power is the problem with the O's. There are plenty of other places to improve. How about starting with the pitching.

What the heck is your issue? This thread is to talk about what Duquette said about Markakis. No one has said this is the biggest issue on the team. Stop trolling threads because you can't stand even the slightest bit of criticism. There are plenty of threads the talk about other issues. You've been around here long enough to know that.

RK	PLAYER	TEAM	AB	R	H	2B	3B	HR	RBI	SB	CS	BB	SO	AVG	OBP	SLG	OPS1	Bautista	TOR	404	81	122	16	2	32	74	6	4	101	89	0.302	0.444	0.589	1.0332	Swisher	NYY	489	76	127	29	0	21	79	2	2	90	113	0.26	0.375	0.448	0.8233	Franco.	KC	601	76	171	47	4	20	87	21	10	36	123	0.285	0.328	0.476	0.8044	Markakis	BAL	628	71	182	31	1	15	72	12	3	60	75	0.29	0.355	0.414	0.7695	Hunter	LAA	511	63	136	21	1	18	69	5	6	47	106	0.266	0.33	0.417	0.7476	Suzuki	SEA	636	75	170	22	3	5	46	36	7	35	65	0.267	0.304	0.335	0.639

I'm not arguing that point, and I certainly don't think Markakis isn't valuable. I just said that I wouldn't make him "off-limits" and I'm glad to see Duquette call Markakis out a bit. I think he's gotten a free pass from the O's front office and the fans in general for an offensive game that has been in decline over the last three years. I would bet if Markakis would work out with Brady or some other trainer all winter instead of going all Grizzly Adams each winter, maybe he could reverse the trend. Markakis has talent, and like you I don't doubt his effort during the season, but the guy has done little to improve himself in the offseason each year and the results are starting to show. Maybe last year's stats and Duquette's shot across the bow will be the right encouragement for Markakis to change his offseason routine.
Ok gotcha...Obviously, I agree 100% with all of this.

And I also am not saying Nick shouldn't be dealt...I actually believe he has more value than many on here think, especially with the GG award in his trophy case now.

However, I also think that trading him now would be trading him at a low point in his value and I am not trading him just to dump his salary or just to get a similar player as to him but one who pitches.

But there is no doubt in my mind that Nick needs some real dedication in the offseason. Training with Brady is what I have been hoping for as well. That makes the most sense to me.

Nick might have trouble reading these comments from his new GM because of the huge shiny glare from that gold glove he just won. ;)
That or he's up in a tree stand waiting for a buck work to emerge from a brush. ;)
The lack of homers suck...But his normal OBP, 40+ doubles, reliable defense, etc...make him an asset...and he is a better player than Jones.

Now, I agree that the lack of homers are a concern and I feel that while Nick gives 100% during the season, that he doesn't do nearly enough in the offseason. He has to get bigger and stronger.

I have a feeling that Nick is not the kind of guy who spends a lot of time scouring the internet to find everything that has been written about him.

As to Nick no doing enough in the offseason, while I tend to suspect that he should be doing more, the truth is, we really don't know what he does.

Here's a guy that played the last month with a pretty serious bone bruise in his hip. I think he is his own worst enemy because he refuses to come out of the line up. Nick wares down over the course of the season and I think it has effected his productivity.

I have a feeling that Nick is not the kind of guy who spends a lot of time scouring the internet to find everything that has been written about him.

As to Nick no doing enough in the offseason, while I tend to suspect that he should be doing more, the truth is, we really don't know what he does.

No we don't...But we know what we see and what his results are.

I hate to say this, and I KNOW these guys are probably two of the biggest fan favorites on the team, but to me, both BRob and Nick have become accustomed to the losing and thus are unfazed by it anymore. I'm not saying they don't care. I'm not saying they don't work hard. But what I am saying is that the losing doesn't really bother them anymore. Its what they do, so why get all stressed about it.

It probably would not hurt to trade them both and bring in some new blood. Say what you will about Jonesie, but the guy genuinely seems to get PISSED when we lose ballgames. That's the kind of player we need. (Oh, and they should have talent too! :D )

I hate to say this, and I KNOW these guys are probably two of the biggest fan favorites on the team, but to me, both BRob and Nick have become accustomed to the losing and thus are unfazed by it anymore. I'm not saying they don't care. I'm not saying they don't work hard. But what I am saying is that the losing doesn't really bother them anymore. Its what they do, so why get all stressed about it.

It probably would not hurt to trade them both and bring in some new blood. Say what you will about Jonesie, but the guy genuinely seems to get PISSED when we lose ballgames. That's the kind of player we need. (Oh, and they should have talent too! :D )

Clearly getting pissed accomplishes nothing, just like saying little like Roberts and Markakis accomplishes nothing. The sum of all parts sucks, and until that changes, the best players on this team will be "accustomed" to losing, and this silly argument will be repeated about them, and the guys after that, and after that, etc.

I think Duqette understands it all about the pitching. Just listen to the WEEI interview. He mentions Nick as one of the better players on the O's but says they have very few. Also says big problem with O's ,you draft in top 10 in last 11 years and hit on one player. Pitching program is needed. He even mentions MASN and that it generates revenue. He seems very honest and did we really get better under prior GM. Ortiz is also a luxury on a team that has alot of bigger problems.

http://audio.weei.com/a/48664561/dan-duquette-talks-about-his-new-role-as-gm-of-the-orioles-and-looks-back-on-his-time-in-boston.htm

I agree with your general premise, but comments from your new GM are hard to ignore. Before these comments became public, I'd like to ass-ume that some of these concerns have been expressed to Nick before.

I think Duqette understands it all about the pitching. Just listen to the WEEI interview. He mentions Nick as one of the better players on the O's but says they have very few. Also says big problem with O's ,you draft in top 10 in last 11 years and hit on one player. Pitching program is needed. He even mentions MASN and that it generates revenue. He seems very honest and did we really get better under prior GM. Ortiz is also a luxury on a team that has alot of bigger problems.

I am really starting to like Double D. First he calls out Nick, now he's pretty much saying "Hey core...YOU SUCK, and until you start playing better no "premium" talent is gonna come in here and help!" Also calling out MacPhail, the scouting, and the entire organization for not developing better talent in the past decade. This guy is calling it like he sees it, for better or worse.

Archived