Rosenthal: Nats showing strong interest in Fielder

Sports Guy

Yea, the NL East is going to give the AL East a run for its money as the best division in the sport in the next year or 2 IMO.

This is true even if Fielder doesn't go to the division and Reyes leaves the division. The Braves are only going to get better, same with the Marlins and Nats (to a lesser degree). The Mets have to turn it around at some point. Can only get better with them.

Meanwhile Philly pumps out money.

Would make our fanbase a little bit smaller.

While I would never stop being an O's fan first and foremost I would have to admit, if that happened (Fielder and Buerhle), I think I'd go to more Nats games than O's games. I am at the point where I just want to watch exciting baseball locally and don't really care if it has to be the Nats.

The Nats are ahead of where the Orioles are because their player development, especially pitcher development, is much further along. Take a look at the home-grown pitchers on their staff, and compare how they've done to how the young Oriole pitchers have done. I know we play in a tougher division, but the Nats are still way ahead. And the Orioles have nobody to blame but themselves for being in that position.

The Nats are ahead of where the Orioles are because their player development, especially pitcher development, is much further along. Take a look at the home-grown pitchers on their staff, and compare how they've done to how the young Oriole pitchers have done. I know we play in a tougher division, but the Nats are still way ahead. And the Orioles have nobody to blame but themselves for being in that position.

Even besides where they are as a franchise, they have an owner willing to spend big dollars.

If PA came out and said he would be fine with a payroll in the 130-150M range, I think we would all be upset if we didn't land Fielder or Pujols.

How is that Werth deal working out for em?

I love it when a new owner with money to burn goes on these shopping sprees.

Well I mean, yeah. He was likely to decline. He will be a nice piece for them if he can put it together at all. I don't think it was made as a rational decision. They weren't selling that as look at this deal we got. They sold it as we brought in one of the premier players in the league right now on the market, we will make the team better anyway we can.

And Frobby points out what I think is the Nat's biggest edge. They have put a priority on acquiring young, hard throwing arms. They will have a cheap bullpen and a revolving door of talent. Many teams struggle with relievers and they likely will be able to bring guys up, have them perform, and move them of other pieces.

And the Clippard Storen 8-9 punch is one of the best in the game.

Even besides where they are as a franchise, they have an owner willing to spend big dollars.

If PA came out and said he would be fine with a payroll in the 130-150M range, I think we would all be upset if we didn't land Fielder or Pujols.

The owners are willing to spend big dollars because their GM is telling them the opportunity to compete is here. Their record has improved by 21 wins in the last two years, they have a good young core, and the Phillies are getting old. So, spending on a couple of difference-makers in that situation makes a lot of sense. Plus, the Nats have kept the payroll low for quite some time -- $63.4 mm in 2011 was their all-time high. So, they have a lot of flexibility, having kept their powder dry.

Archived