Do you approve of DD's first trade?

ChaosLex

Do you approve of DD's first trade?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Do you approve of DD's first trade?

We weren't going to do anything with that 5M anyway...So, how did it impact the future of the club?

Well, it impacted the future of the club from the date of his signing because he contribute negative WAR, whether we spent money elsewhere or not. There were still 162 games in the "future" for that contract.*

*And that's if we assume that the $5m wouldn't have gone anywhere else. Not sure why we're assuming that. Or how that's relevant to this situation.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, it impacted the future of the club from the date of his signing because he contribute negative WAR, whether we spent money elsewhere or not. There were still 162 games in the "future" for that contract.

Well, he appeared in 44 games, not 162 and we weren't really going to be good anyway. His -1 WAR didn't really change anything about that season.

And his impact was nothing beyond those games.

Well, he appeared in 44 games, not 162 and we weren't really going to be good anyway.

Are you trying out armchair nihilism, SG?

I've lost the thread of your logic and argument, and can't find my way back to Drungo's. I've tried, but I don't see it.*

*I know, this is license for a comment about it being "over my head" or something.

I've lost the thread of your logic and argument, and can't find my way back to Drungo's. I've tried, but I don't see it.*

*I know, this is license for a comment about it being "over my head" or something.

Drungo said that this move has no discernable outcome on the future of the team.

My point is and was that his argument is poor(no idea why you are fighting his battle anyway) because we always argue about little moves that have no discernable outcome long term.

He feels it is ok for him to argue about "his causes" but I can't argue for mine?

Perhaps if you didn't butt in, you wouldn't have to worry about figuring it out? :D;)

That's because there is no logic to the argument. Of course its over your head, mine and anyone else who disagrees.

Drungo said that this move has no discernable outcome on the future of the team.

My point is and was that his argument is poor(no idea why you are fighting his battle anyway) because we always argue about little moves that have no discernable outcome long term.

He feels it is ok for him to argue about "his causes" but I can't argue for mine?

Perhaps if you didn't butt in, you wouldn't have to worry about figuring it out? :D;)

Eh. I think Drungo's take has largely been mine, which is why I took up the mantle. But I should get back to things that matter...[like my job.]

Well, he appeared in 44 games, not 162 and we weren't really going to be good anyway. His -1 WAR didn't really change anything about that season.

I'm not normally one to butt in on 'spirited debates' like this......but this one seems to be getting pretty odd.

Why not just go all the way Rob?

Do you think the Orioles have made any personnel decisions in the past 10 years that impacted the future of the club?

If we were going to lose every year regardless........seems to me that nothing we did mattered at all if your logic is correct.

I have some questions for the people who approve of this trade:

Is Teagarden really so much better (if he's better at all) than guys like John Hester/Caleb Joseph/Wyatt Toregas or any other freely available back-up catcher that it's worth giving up 2 players to get him? Was it worth giving up those 2 players to get him now rather than waiting until spring training when he could have possibly been had for nothing more than a waiver claim? And do you really think that Teagarden is the best player that you could have gotten in return for Randy Henry and Martin/Miclat/whoever?

I'm not going to criticize anyone's viewpoint on this trade, but I have a hard time seeing how anyone could answer any of those questions with a definite "Yes"...

I'm not normally one to butt in on 'spirited debates' like this......but this one seems to be getting pretty odd.

Why not just go all the way Rob?

Do you think the Orioles have made any personnel decisions in the past 10 years that impacted the future of the club?

If we were going to lose every year regardless........seems to me that nothing we did mattered at all if your logic is correct.

That's Drungo's logic, not mine.

I think all the stupid decisions, minor or major, are big deals.

That's Drungo's logic, not mine.

I think all the stupid decisions, minor or major, are big deals.

Well you were the one arguing that the Atkins signing had no impact. Do you believe that or not? If you don't believe it......then that's kind of frustrating point to try and make.

What Drungo ALSO said was that the most likely result of this trade is that the Orioles gave up something like 0.25 WAR and gained about 1 WAR. If that's true, then I don't think it's a stupid decision.

Or put another way (what Drungo was trying to say before you took his points way out of context)....

Trading minor league filler for a backup catcher is not likely to significantly impact the future of this team. It's intellectually dishonest to extrapolate that to saying it's equivalent to wasting millions on bad relievers, or even every day position players like Atkins......or certainly not an All Star like Mora.

Well you were the one arguing that the Atkins signing had no impact. Do you believe that or not? If you don't believe it......then that's kind of frustrating point to try and make.

What Drungo ALSO said was that the most likely result of this trade is that the Orioles gave up something like 0.25 WAR and gained about 1 WAR. If that's true, then I don't think it's a stupid decision.

Or put another way (what Drungo was trying to say before you took his points way out of context)....

Trading minor league filler for a backup catcher is not likely to significantly impact the future of this team. It's intellectually dishonest to extrapolate that to saying it's equivalent to wasting millions on bad relievers, or even every day position players like Atkins......or certainly not an All Star like Mora.

Drungo made the point that this deal will have no impact on the future of the club.

My point is that neither did the Atkins signing but it didn't stop all of us from complaining about and criticizing it.

And of course I feel he effected the future...but not because of Atkins himself..because it was yet another stupid move, in a long line of stupid moves, made by people who shouldn't have been making those types of decisions for this club and for this club needs to go.

Archived