Nationals have interest in Adam Jones

MrOrange82

Thanks for the answer. So is the original question correct then? Isn't it quite possible that the Orioles have more than 1 player in the top 100? I mean a lot is different since last year. The winter meetings themselves are like bizarro world with the Marlins and the Yankees swaping motives. Maybe in this new baseball bizarro world the Orioles will have 10 top 100 players by the 2013 list. One can dream!!

I'm certain we will have 2 in the top 100, and I read that Schoop has a shot at making it as well. If either Machado or Bundy has a big year this year, I would imagine they would be top 10 or very close.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Aaaand one can wake up ;)

Yeah, but dreaming is better. Every time I look at reality the Orioles still aren't any closer to contention in the AL east. And to get back to the topic, I am on the side of trading Adam to anybody as long as we fill at least 2 holes with the return. Otherwise I am not interested in a 1 for 1 trade. We need too much talent. I don't miss AM after seeing what DD has done in 3 weeks with the minors, coaching staff, and internationally, but AM could pull off the trades as well as anyone the past 2-3 years (at least the ones he pulled the trigger on)

Thanks for the answer. So is the original question correct then? Isn't it quite possible that the Orioles have more than 1 player in the top 100? I mean a lot is different since last year. The winter meetings themselves are like bizarro world with the Marlins and the Yankees swaping motives. Maybe in this new baseball bizarro world the Orioles will have 10 top 100 players by the 2013 list. One can dream!!

Machado/Bundy will each be top 15 for BA. Schoop will potentially be 76-100.

That seems a little conservative re: Schoop, but I get that he's coming out of nowhere.

No pro scout consensus on Schoop and BA will take into account limited defensive profile and fact he is still growing. Plus lots of influx from 2011 draft class. Just my opinion.

No pro scout consensus on Schoop and BA will take into account limited defensive profile and fact he is still growing. Plus lots of influx from 2011 draft class. Just my opinion.

How limited? If he profiles - for now - at both 2B and 3B and is athletic enough to play corner OF? I mean, he's not a SS or CF, but is there anywhere else he can't play?

BTW, just to be clear, are you saying "No; pro scout consensus and BA will take into account..."?

Or, "No pro scout consensus" and "BA will take into account..."?

How does that total stack up against the rest of the division (or league, or baseball at large)?

I haven't really looked at it closely, but general quick thoughts:

Tampa will have the highest rated prospect in the division with Moore, who should be #1 or #2 with Harper. Potentially five or six more top 100s.

Toronto's top talent, I'd imagine, will be between D'Arnaud, Gose, Norris, McGuire. Don't have a feel for how BA will rank them. Might get another top 100 in, and BA might knock Norris for inconsistent Spring and leave him out.

Boston should have three or four top 100s, with five or six others that could make the jump next year. Not sure who will rank out, but Cecchini, Barnes, Swihart, Owens, Middlebrooks, JBJ, Kukuk should all get top 100 consideration.

New York, I think Montero is still eligible, and would be the top prospect (likely top 20 but below Machado/Bundy?). I see maybe three or four other top 100s, with another 2 or three that could jump next year.

No pro scout consensus. Different projections for power (some think above average, some still think fringe-average playable power).

More concern with future profile than current ability, defensively. I don't agree, but there are scouts who think he's 3b or of, and that bat will be fringy for the corners.

No pro scout consensus. Different projections for power (some think above average, some still think fringe-average playable power).

More concern with future profile than current ability, defensively. I don't agree, but there are scouts who think he's 3b or of, and that bat will be fringy for the corners.

Good stuff. Thanks for the clarification. It all sounds reasonable.

if you trade jones it has to be for a majoe league starter. no more prospects. if you keep trading every player that becomes good for prospects you are always going to be a loser.

Teixeira traded by Texas to Atlanta

for

Salty (Boston in 2011)

Andrus (Texas starting SS in 2011)

Feliz (Texas closer in 2011)

Harrison (Texas starting pitcher in 2011, 30 starts)

Total fWAR for Feliz/Andrus/Harrison in 2011: 9.7 (or roughly $40-45 MM worth of value in free agent dollars)

Total fWAR for Feliz/Andrus/Harrison and Salty for Texas since the trade: ~20 (or roughly $90-100 MM worth of value in free agent dollars)

Total money paid by Texas to Feliz/Andrus/Harrison and Salty: ~$4.2 MM

So, in trading Teixeira, Texas received around an $85-90 MM surplus in value. Out of that trade package, Saltalamacchia was the only ML-ready player Texas got. The other three were just prospects. Additionally, Saltalammachia was the least productive for Texas (though he had a solid year last year for Boston).

If Feliz makes a transition to the rotation this year, his value will jump. Each of these players will be under Texas's control for another three years.

Teixeira traded by Texas to Atlanta

for

Salty (Boston in 2011)

Andrus (Texas starting SS in 2011)

Feliz (Texas closer in 2011)

Harrison (Texas starting pitcher in 2011, 30 starts)

Total fWAR for Feliz/Andrus/Harrison in 2011: 9.7 (or roughly $40-45 MM worth of value in free agent dollars)

Total fWAR for Feliz/Andrus/Harrison and Salty for Texas since the trade: ~20 (or roughly $90-100 MM worth of value in free agent dollars)

Total money paid by Texas to Feliz/Andrus/Harrison and Salty: ~$4.2 MM

So, in trading Teixeira, Texas received around an $85-90 MM surplus in value.

A great deal. Of course, the Bedard trade - which was a well-diversified package of talent - counsels against expecting 100% hit rates, I guess.

Archived