Orioles closing in on Japanese lefty Tsuyoshi Wada (Update: Wada is signed)

praveen520

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if it's as crowded as it ever looks.

Guthrie

Wada

Britton

Arrieta

Hunter

If you add Chen, Hunter goes to the bullpen where he's had success before. Matusz is in AAA until he proves he's back, at which point, someone will probably get hurt and he takes their place. Bergesen stays at AAA or is in long relief. Simon should be a reliever. Eveland is either AAA depth or a reliever. Tillman is AAA depth or gets traded.

So, BMat has to prove he is back but Arrieta is handed a spot despite having surgery? That's pretty inconsistent.

It's getting pretty crowded in there, especially if they add Chen. At that point, maybe we are trading someone away.

Yeah makes you wonder if DD is trying to find some replacements before trading away a 200 inning starter. Not that I think it is the right move but I am guessing they don't want to trade Guthrie without having plenty of arms ready to go. I would be utterly shocked if he isn't moved this offseason.

The deal's fine, but I'm more interested in whether he can get major league hitters out.

So, now we have:

Guthrie

Wada

Britton

Arrieta

Matusz

Tillman

Bergesen

Hunter

Simon

Eveland

It's getting pretty crowded in there, especially if they add Chen. At that point, maybe we are trading someone away.

Right. IF they get Chen, and I think that's a pretty big "if", it may enable them to trade Guthrie or someone else. As has been widely speculated, I don't think the O's have been able to pull off any trades simply because we have very little to offer. This will give us some inventory to deal from. I would still love to see Koji back, not that I expect it and I don't even know if it would be a good move, but it would make me happy for some reason. :) And I know for a fact that Koji wants to come back.

I'm fascinated by how heavily DD is committing to the international market so quickly. It's almost like he is "re-branding" the Orioles as a "go-to" team for international players. That could either be a big success or fail miserably.

If this is true, it's a much bigger deal than just signing a few guys here and there.

It would be awesome, IMO. Maybe this is our market inefficiency to exploit.

If we sign Wada and Chen. Are we setting ourselves up to trade a Brian Matusz? Could we end up with Fielder in Seattle and Smoak here?

I would like the way that would work out...

I would rather see it work out where we keep BMat, since he is going to be fine and still end up with Smoak, perhaps using Guthrie in the deal?

So, BMat has to prove he is back but Arrieta is handed a spot despite having surgery? That's pretty inconsistent.

If Arrieta is healthy, I suspect he's in the rotation. At this point, Matusz has more to prove than just his health. But to me, I'm not handing a spot to anyone but Guthrie (if he's still here). Everyone else has to earn it.

None of this is on MASN yet. Sometimes those guys are so slow - I wonder if they have to hear it officially before reporting it.

Roch mentioned it in his Arrieta post. But they are at the OriolesREACH function this morning so he is not reporting anything yet

If Arrieta is healthy, I suspect he's in the rotation. At this point, Matusz has more to prove than just his health. But to me, I'm not handing a spot to anyone but Guthrie (if he's still here). Everyone else has to earn it.

But how? ST stats are pretty meaningless.

I think if they are healthy...BMat, Britton and Arrieta should be handed spots. People are so obsessed with one season and the failure to see big picture really boggles my mind.

Give me those 3, Wada and Chen and make that the rotation. Have Hunter and Simon in the pen...BB and Eveland in AAA.

Trade Guthrie.

Archived