Unhappy Scouts??

beardbr

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He's a really nice guy in person.
Even when I agree with him ? which is a good deal of the time, actually ? I still find myself wanting to punch him in the nose. That's a rare talent.
Not at all. I generally like Keith Law, but have you tried reading his blog? It's insufferable.

As I said, things often get lost. I mean, I think I'm a nice guy.

Of course, perhaps there's a SSS warning here, Stotle? Unless the two of you are close.

What does Lewis's knowledge of sports, good or bad, have to do with the fact that Keith Law told him one thing when he was interviewed and then completely reversed course later?

Again, not completely serious, my issues with Moneyball are well documented, don't want to subject LJ to my ranting anymore :)

It doesn't say WHEN he interviewed him compared to writing the book, but like I said earlier, Law was in that same "moneyball" camp earlier on in his career. After he got into the FO of TOR and saw things first hand, AA, LaCava and Law (amongst some others) saw that things weren't working and learned more appreciation for the actual scouting part of things.

I will say this, whatever happened in some interview god knows how long ago, look at the fact that out of these national guys that talk about prospects and the draft, and Law is one of the few that ACTUALLY goes out in the field to see people with his own eyes. I do really respect that, even if I don't agree with him sometimes.

1. What you guys are failing to realize is that these scouts that are being reassigned are not all Major League "advance" scouts. Rather, they are general pro scouts whose job responsibility is to cover both major league and minor league teams for potential trades and acquisitions. By re-assigning them to the amateur side, the Orioles will essentially not cover any (or very little) professional baseball from the beginning of spring training until the day that the draft is completed in June. So you may want to re-think how smart this is when you have nobody scouting major league or minor league talent for acquisitions for the first half of the year. Not a good move...plain and simple.

2. Most of these scouts have not done amateur work in a long time, if ever. Add that to being disgruntled over the demotion and you have a situation that benefits nobody. It will do more to cloud up the amateur scouting process than it will to benefit it. Really these re-assignments are a gentle push out the door for scouts who are under contract already for 2012. If you are hell bent on forcing them out, just eat the money and let them go their separate way...why screw up things on the amateur side? Procrastination in the GM and Scouting Director hiring process created this situation, as Tony mentioned.

3. The poster that mentioned that most of the decisions you guys disagree with happen at pay grades well above amateur and pro scouts is absolutely right. While you guys are free to opine, very few have relevant insight into the inner workings of a scouting department. Decision makers (GM, Scouting Director, Farm Director) are the ones that should be held most accountable and are paid as such. Scouts like the ones involved in this reassignment are not very well paid and spend the bulk of their year traveling to remote locations to cover games and writing reports day and night at their hotels. Not quite the glamour job some make it out to be...and downright difficult on your family life.

Hope this clears up the picture some. While everyone is free to approve/disapprove of this move, it is important to understand the facts.

Basic questions:

1. For years we've claimed to not have enough scouts. How does eliminating a department help this?

2. Are these scouts major or minor league scouts? I've heard both.

Seems to me that we're a bit enamored with DD's positioning himself as Shiva, but we have no idea what it might mean. I'm sure this is huge for the "change for the sake of change" crowd. I would think it would be better to just hire six more scouts for where the re-assigned folks were carted off to, myself.

Shiva's an appealing contrast to Mr. Rogers. Very appealing.

Again, not completely serious, my issues with Moneyball are well documented, don't want to subject LJ to my ranting anymore :)

It doesn't say WHEN he interviewed him compared to writing the book, but like I said earlier, Law was in that same "moneyball" camp earlier on in his career. After he got into the FO of TOR and saw things first hand, AA, LaCava and Law (amongst some others) saw that things weren't working and learned more appreciation for the actual scouting part of things.

I will say this, whatever happened in some interview god knows how long ago, look at the fact that out of these national guys that talk about prospects and the draft, and Law is one of the few that ACTUALLY goes out in the field to see people with his own eyes. I do really respect that, even if I don't agree with him sometimes.

I think that half the reason he does it is food related. He is quite the foodie and writes reviews of the restaurants he visits on trips.

1. What you guys are failing to realize is that these scouts that are being reassigned are not all Major League "advance" scouts. Rather, they are general pro scouts whose job responsibility is to cover both major league and minor league teams for potential trades and acquisitions. By re-assigning them to the amateur side, the Orioles will essentially not cover any (or very little) professional baseball from the beginning of spring training until the day that the draft is completed in June. So you may want to re-think how smart this is when you have nobody scouting major league or minor league talent for acquisitions for the first half of the year. Not a good move...plain and simple.

Thanks. This was my understanding and it's not something that I like, at all.

2. Most of these scouts have not done amateur work in a long time, if ever. Add that to being disgruntled over the demotion and you have a situation that benefits nobody. It will do more to cloud up the amateur scouting process than it will to benefit it. Really these re-assignments are a gentle push out the door for scouts who are under contract already for 2012. If you are hell bent on forcing them out, just eat the money and let them go their separate way...why screw up things on the amateur side? Procrastination in the GM and Scouting Director hiring process created this situation, as Tony mentioned.

3. The poster that mentioned that most of the decisions you guys disagree with happen at pay grades well above amateur and pro scouts is absolutely right. While you guys are free to opine, very few have relevant insight into the inner workings of a scouting department. Decision makers (GM, Scouting Director, Farm Director) are the ones that should be held most accountable and are paid as such. Scouts like the ones involved in this reassignment are not very well paid and spend the bulk of their year traveling to remote locations to cover games and writing reports day and night at their hotels. Not quite the glamour job some make it out to be...and downright difficult on your family life.

Hope this clears up the picture some. While everyone is free to approve/disapprove of this move, it is important to understand the facts.

You honestly don't think that DD will hire more pro scouts between now and Spring Training? I mean really?

You honestly don't think that DD will hire more pro scouts between now and Spring Training? I mean really?

That's not what he said - he said it could be done with video and stats. Maybe he does.

If you think it's this obvious that he does (because, apparently, no one in their right mind wouldn't), what will be your response if/when he doesn't? Will you criticize DD and put in your sig?

Apparently, something gets lost in the translation (through media).

He plays up the aspects of his personality that get him page hits, I think. In person he's understated, funny and clearly a smart guy. I disagree with him on the evaluation side of things from time to time, but personality-wise he's very approachable and generally a really great guy.

Whenever we're at the same game he almost always says hello (he has instigated the convo the last couple times) and he's sat with me for entire innings while he could be chatting-up much more connected people.

That's not what he said - he said it could be done with video and stats. Maybe he does.

If you think it's this obvious that he does (because, apparently, no one in their right mind wouldn't), what will be your response if/when he doesn't? Will you criticize DD and put in your sig?

I think it can be done with video and stats. Minor leaguers definitely need a heavier dose of scouting, but my understanding is that pro scouting in the minors is mainly applied to trading for prospects. Important? Yes. But something that needs to be regularly maintained? No. If you're thinking about trading for three prospects, just..send a guy there. How often does any team make such trades, anyway?

He plays up the aspects of his personality that get him page hits, I think. In person he's understated, funny and clearly a smart guy. I disagree with him on the evaluation side of things from time to time, but personality-wise he's very approachable and generally a really great guy.

Whenever we're at the same game he almost always says hello (he has instigated the convo the last couple times) and he's sat with me for entire innings while he could be chatting-up much more connected people.

Good stuff. And, btw, nothing I said should be taken to impeach or impugn his abilities or intelligence. I've come to like and respect his analysis a lot.

Archived