Edwin Jackson: Interested?

SilentJames

I agree. I really would like Jackson - he just makes the staff look like a legitimate major league rotation. As has been said, he's younger than most FA pitchers, durable, maybe a tad wild, but always pitches into the 7th inning, and has had success in the AL. Guthrie, Jackson, and then a combination of Britton, Arrietta, Matusz, an Asian, Eveland is something I'd be fine with.

I agree with this .... Jackson is the best of what is available.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I agree. I really would like Jackson - he just makes the staff look like a legitimate major league rotation. As has been said, he's younger than most FA pitchers, durable, maybe a tad wild, but always pitches into the 7th inning, and has had success in the AL. Guthrie, Jackson, and then a combination of Britton, Arrietta, Matusz, an Asian, Eveland is something I'd be fine with.

If the Orioles end the season with five starters who had decent years, they will look like a major-league rotation. If they end the year with four (or more) guys who bombed and a decent Edwin Jackson, they certainly will not look like anything resembling a major-league rotation.

If the Orioles end the season with five starters who had decent years, they will look like a major-league rotation. If they end the year with four (or more) guys who bombed and a decent Edwin Jackson, they certainly will not look like anything resembling a major-league rotation.

With Chen , Wada, Guthrie and assuming that Britton doesnt bomb out, we could be really closer to the NON-Bombed list.

I am definitely interested in Jackson for 3 years. 4? Not so much, but I would go for a player option 4th year. I think he can be had for 3 if he's paid well because I don't think teams are giving 4 or 5 guaranteed. He'd have a few head-shakers mixed in, but overall, he'd boost our rotation's credibly by a whole heck of a lot. Extremely tradeable also.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/thefantasyinsiders/2012/01/10/baseball-daily-digest-radio-with-joel-henard-and-albert-lang

I'm not around speakers (or headphones for that matter).. do you mind paraphrasing? I'd very much appreciate! :thumbsup1:

The said we are the most likely landing place for him. They were concerned about having a Boras guy on the team in a small market situation, but said we already had them.

If we signed Jackson for 3-4 years that would make determining the fates of people like Wada, Matusz, Eveland, Arrieta, etc much more harder. Just how many left-handed SPs do we need. So with this said... if Jackson is signed... would you trade Jones and Matusz for Prado plus 2 of Atlanta's top 5 SP prospects?

If we signed Jackson for 3-4 years that would make determining the fates of people like Wada, Matusz, Eveland, Arrieta, etc much more harder. Just how many left-handed SPs do we need. So with this said... if Jackson is signed... would you trade Jones and Matusz for Prado plus 2 of Atlanta's top 5 SP prospects?

I doubt that Matusz being added to the Jones package would cause the Braves to want to add two of their young SP. Here is how I see it, the Braves want to move Jurrjens more than any of those young starters. If Jones does not land us one of the top prospects than removing Jurrjens from the deal and the Orioles adding Matusz does not equate to the two young starters that you mentioned IMO.

If the Orioles are only dealing Jones for pitching than they could be better off by trying to land Prado, Simmons, Salcedo and a young arm (not top prospect) for Jones or look to keep Jones and deal Matusz in a deal for a first, second or third baseman. What if we made enough moves for pitching to become a strength and the Orioles could move a young arm and maybe Andino for a weakness on offense? There are a lot of ways that Jones could make the Orioles a better team in 2-3 years, but make no mistake about it, the Braves are not netting Jones by not giving up more than two of Prado, Jurrjens, Delgado, Vizcaino, Minor, Simmons, Salcedo, Teheran or Beachy. It is going to take three of those guys and if Prado and Jurrjens have to be in the deal than there might need to be two other guys from that list added to the package or at leats one and another prospect with some real upside IMO.

Jackson is a RHP, but either way, depth is a good thing. You can always put Wada in the pen. There are a lot of options, but still not a whole lot of proven talent in the rotation.

Right, Jackson isn't just depth. He is a solid #3 starter in the AL and he would instantly bolster our pitching staff and allow Duquette a little more flexibility to make future moves.

Guthrie

Jackson

Britton

Chen

Wada/Hunter/Matusz/Bergesen/Arrieta/Tillman

I don't know about anyone else, but I like our odds of finding a quality #4/#5 starter out of that group. I think that Wada should be given every opportunity to win the job since that was the major selling point for him. I also think that Hunter could be in for a good year if he is earns a rotation spot. I would send Matusz, Tillman and Bergesen to AAA and move Arrieta into the closers role since he seems to have a bulldog mentality.

UPDATE: BORAS AND STEINBRENNER TALK EDWIN JACKSON

Edwin Jackson apparently wants five years at $15 million per. No one really wants to pay that. Including the Yankees, who have ? to the surprise of many? decided to actually operate like a business as opposed to Richard Pryor in "Brewster's Millions" this offseason. Imagine.

But the fact is that the Yankees could use a starter and Jackson maybe realizing that his price is a bit high kinda needs a baseball team to hire him. So it's not terribly surprising, then, that Scott Boras met with Hal Steinbrenner recently to discuss E-Jax, which he will regrettably be called a lot more often if he does sign with the Yankees.

No matter what the rate, it's going to be hard for any team and any fan base to swallow Jackson on a long term deal. There's a reason he has floated from team to team. It's not because of his talent, which is considerable. When he's on he's electric. But he's not always on. He?s erratic and when he's bad he's really hard to watch and it just depresses the living hell out of you. I'd love for him to put it all together and go on a nice 4-5 year run of superior pitching, but I have a hard time seeing that now.

But he will sign someplace. If the Yankees and Boras are talking, it may be in New York. And, hopefully, it will be at a much more reasonable rate than the last one we heard he was demanding.

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/01/12/hal-steinbrenner-met-with-scott-boras-about-edwin-jackson/

Now that the Yankees have signed Pineda and Kuroda, you can take them out of the Edwin Jackson sweepstakes. C'mon Duquette. Do this.
Well If Boston doesn't sign him, where else can he go. The sharks will have finished feeding. I bet Boston signs Oswalt. for a one year deal. They are worried about the 2014 luxury tax as well.

Well If Boston doesn't sign him, where else can he go. The sharks will have finished feeding. I bet Boston signs Oswalt. for a one year deal. They are worried about the 2014 luxury tax as well.

Perhaps the Mariners go after him to replace Pineda.

Archived