Update on Jones to the Braves for Jurrjens, Prado, Plus

Roll Tide

Quote from Theo Epstein via mlbtraderumors:

"At some point in the future, if there's a transaction that makes sense with any of our players that puts the Cubs in a better position moving forward, we are going to pursue it,"

Adam Jones being in trade discussion means two things to me. Other teams value Adam Jones in the same manner that we do and even with the Orioles recognizing what Adam Jones could do for them it might make the most sense if "there's a transaction that puts the Orioles in a better position moving forward".

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply
But instead of reacting to these moves in a knee-jerk fashion, Wren has dealt with the reality of an extremely tight budget and avoided the temptation to significantly upgrade his lineup by trading any of his coveted top four pitching prospects -- Julio Teheran, Randall Delgado, Arodys Vizcaino and Mike Minor.

The Orioles learned that this last month when they inquired about acquiring Jurrjens, Prado and two other "premium guys" in exchange for outfielder Adam Jones.

The Braves obviously declined that offer. But they still have interest in Jones and could continue talking about the outfielder if the Orioles are willing to make a more reasonable offer that would likely be void of pitching prospects and not include both Prado and Jurrjens.

While the Braves have shown a willingness to talk about Prado and Jurrjens, they understand that both players could still provide significant value to this year's team.

-Mark Bowman

No real info here but just thought I would post since it's from the Braves beat writer

Jtrea, did it ever occur to you that maybe Jones doesn't want to be here anymore?

We saw Phil Wood say that Jones wouldn't extend.

Maybe that's true, maybe it isn't.

We do know that AM approached Jones last year to extend and he said no...he said he wanted to wait until his value was higher and could get more money. Well, while that time has come, maybe another poor year caused him to say I won't extend.

Here is what we do know...We know they tried and he said no. We also know that a local reporter said he doesn't want to extend.

We also know that DD didn't want to trade him but is now seemingly looking to move him, at least to the Braves.

We also know that DD stated they would talk extension with him around the new year.

Add all of that up and it seems to me that they approached him, he either wanted way too much or said no and now they could move him if the right deal is there.

The idea that we aren't showing him the love is just stupid. People don't WANT him traded...We would love to have a contending team where he is our CFer(or LFer). But that's not realistic right now, despite what YOU believe.

-Mark Bowman

No real info here but just thought I would post since it's from the Braves beat writer

I think the Orioles and Braves will meet somewhere in the middle, both fanbases will be somewhat disappointed with the respective returns, and we'll all know then that it is a good trade (at least at the time).

-Mark Bowman

From Roch Kubatko who covers the Orioles

Executive vice president Dan Duquette isn't actively shopping him. But he recognizes that Jones is a prime trade chip, and more expendable than the largely untouchable Matt Wieters. He'll certainly listen to offers and counter with one that's more to his liking.

If he's turned down, so be it. This isn't a garage sale. He'll gladly hold onto Jones if he can't get enough pitching in return.

The Braves inquired about Jones. Duquette wanted more than starter Jair Jurrjens and infielder/outfielder Martin Prado, who could replace Brian Roberts at second base. He wanted a couple of their high-ceiling young pitchers. Why wouldn't he?

Apparently, the Braves don't want Jones badly enough to dip into a collection of arms that includes Brandon Beachy, Mike Minor, Randall Delgado, Arodys Vizcaino and Julio Teheran.

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/01/a-non-update-update-on-adam-jones.html

Talkin' the talk....

-Mark Bowman

This is a very different version than we have heard through other sources. Why would the O's consider trading Jones for one of Prado or JJ, and no SP prospects? The whole point of trading Jones is to get SP. Also by all accounts the Braves approached the O's for Jones and offered Prado and JJ. That would be silly on the face of it as both Prado and JJ are due 5-6 M in arb. this year ,as is Jones. Why would the O's trade Jones and essentailly 5-6 M for JJ and Prado. I think a lot of baloney is being sliced here. No new IF, but plenty of new disinfo.

I really don't see this deal getting made. The Braves aren't going to give up the top 4. The Orioles won't do it without one of them in all likelihood. I can't see Frank stepping down on that stance because he's been like that the last 3 years.

I think ultimately the Braves keep Jurrjens and hope he has a good 1st half and then see if there is interest around the league. This will also allow Minor, Delgado, or Medlen to get some more work in AAA before they have to step up and be called upon.

Why would the O's consider trading Jones for one of Prado or JJ, and no SP prospects?

I imagine the Braves are offering something like Jurrjens, Medlen, Salcedo, and JJ Hoover.

And before everyone starts to come bash me and say that's stupid, that's just what I think the Braves are probably offering. Not what the Orioles would or should take.

I really don't see this deal getting made. The Braves aren't going to give up the top 4. The Orioles won't do it without one of them in all likelihood. I can't see Frank stepping down on that stance because he's been like that the last 3 years.

I think ultimately the Braves keep Jurrjens and hope he has a good 1st half and then see if there is interest around the league. This will also allow Minor, Delgado, or Medlen to get some more work in AAA before they have to step up and be called upon.

But who is the top 4? You have Beachy, Minor, Delgado, Vizcaino and Teheran. Teheran is obviously not getting dealt, we basically all agree on that.

So, what 3 are in the top 4 and who is on the outside looking in.

Then, the next question is, whoever that is, would they trade that player?

If the Braves really want Jones, which they obviously do, I find it hard to believe that Jurrjens and Prado would get it done but adding Minor, a guy that they can replace with Gilmartin, would be something they say no to.

And, as was said, we could include Andino and get another player...Salcedo, Medlen or Hoover perhaps?

Ends up being a 4 for 2...Braves get 2 players they need, lose some salary by trading 2 players they want to deal and only get rid of one of their prospects, the one guy they can just replace with someone already in the system.

To me, that seems like a deal that could/should work for both sides.

If so, that's fine. Both sides have good reason to make a deal, but neither has some requirement to force one.

The Braves will be OK. Heyward will have a bounce-back season, Freeman will get better, Bourn will improve on Nate McLouth and Jordan Schafer by leaps and bounds, and the young pitching will sort out and give them options.

Beachy isn't really considered a prospect anymore. Can't really see him getting moved because the Braves are really high on him (Not saying I am). He was actually our 2nd most consistent pitcher last year.

Neither is Minor.

The Braves have a need for Jones...They have Hanson, Hudson, Beachy, Vizcaino, Delgado, Teheran and Minor...They also have Jurrjens of course.

And then Gilmartin.

They can't start all of these guys.

Jtrea, did it ever occur to you that maybe Jones doesn't want to be here anymore?

We saw Phil Wood say that Jones wouldn't extend.

Maybe that's true, maybe it isn't.

We do know that AM approached Jones last year to extend and he said no...he said he wanted to wait until his value was higher and could get more money. Well, while that time has come, maybe another poor year caused him to say I won't extend.

Here is what we do know...We know they tried and he said no. We also know that a local reporter said he doesn't want to extend.

We also know that DD didn't want to trade him but is now seemingly looking to move him, at least to the Braves.

We also know that DD stated they would talk extension with him around the new year.

Add all of that up and it seems to me that they approached him, he either wanted way too much or said no and now they could move him if the right deal is there.

The idea that we aren't showing him the love is just stupid. People don't WANT him traded...We would love to have a contending team where he is our CFer(or LFer). But that's not realistic right now, despite what YOU believe.

I know somebody that knows Jones that said he would want to extend if the Orioles would commit to winning.

Jones wants to be here, but like most players he wants to see that he won't be wasting his FA years here.

If the Orioles aren't going to commit to winning now with this core, then I don't blame Jones for not extending and the whole thing should be blown up, Wieters included as he'll net you the most prospects that you can use to build toward 2014.

Dealing Jones only just makes another hole, and it's just like when we dealt Bedard and Tejada. It's half-assing a rebuild.

Instead of the Luis Hernandez/Brandon Fahey/Alex Cintron/Freddie Bynum debacle, we'll have Endy Chavez and Jai Miller for CF.

And then you just waste another good year from Wieters, another year on Markakis' contract etc.

And then after 2012 now you have to fill holes in CF, LF, 3B, 1B, 2B. You've got your rotation I guess, but you've got no position players for an offense.

If you can extend Jones and sign Fielder, now you have only needs in LF, 2B and maybe 3B if you don't want to pick up Reynolds' option there.

I know somebody that knows Jones that said he would extend if the Orioles would commit to winning.

Oh, the old he said, he said thing.

Ok, when were you told this? Today? Within the last week?

And when did Jones tell "your somebody" this bit of info?

And did "your somebody" say how much he would extend for?

Yeah, he isn't. But anytime you hear someone talk about the top 4 pitching prospects it's Teheran, Viz, Minor, and Delgado just because Beachy is the established starter in the rotation, everyone else isn't.

And you don't have to tell me man. I'm all about moving one of these guys. Adam Jones isn't the guy I would want to give one of them up for, but that's a different story.

Archived