Offer to Angels on the table

bigbird

I think that's pretty self-evident. But who would you rather have: Ayabar or Wood? IMO, it ain't even close. Wood's ceiling is far higher, and I'd be shocked if he didn't have a longer more productive career.

IMO, Wood is gonna be Deivi Cruz with more power.

Maybe we have overrated Tejada's value, but I can't believe he'd be the focal point of a trade for Miggy....

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would rather have Ervin Santana than Saunders. Santana doesn't appear to be in their immediate plans (unless converted to relief role), so maybe if we held out for Santana they would cave ?

At the end of the day though, if the Angels didn't cave in and upgrade from Saunders to Santana (or better yet add Santana to Wood/Saunders) I would hold my nose and pull the trigger on Wood/Saunders.

Santana may be DCab-the Sequel, but he does have a lot of upside.

Saunders is what he is..... hopefully an adequate 5th SP. I don't like that he is already 27 yrs old.

Who knows ? Maybe he will improve. Maybe he will morph into a Jamie Moyer clone.

I agree about Santana over Saunders, but this isn't an issue of holding out for something better, this is apparently what AM asked for, they're the one's who are in position to hold out for something they like more.

I think that's pretty self-evident. But who would you rather have: Ayabar or Wood? IMO, it ain't even close. Wood's ceiling is far higher, and I'd be shocked if he didn't have a longer more productive career.

At this point, I would rather have Wood.

However, unlike you, it wouldn't shock me if Aybar ended up the better player.

IMO, Wood is gonna be Deivi Cruz with more power.

Maybe we have overrated Tejada's value, but I can't believe he'd be the focal point of a trade for Miggy....

Wood's value is down and he could end up a flop but right now, he is still a very good prospect with enormous potential.

Now, can he reach that potential?

That is another story.

However, if this is what we can get for Miggy, we have to jump on it.

This I do agree with although the LaRoche/Hu deal is potentially possible I think.

However, i would say Wood/Saunders is better than a lot of doom and gloomers were saying around here for Miggy.

But, as you said, this is what we are offering, not the other way around.

So who knows right now.

If that is possible, we shouldn't be submitting a firm offer for an inferior package, and by a decent margin imo.

If that is possible, we shouldn't be submitting a firm offer for an inferior package, and by a decent margin imo.

Well, we don't what the level of interest for Tejada the Dodgers have.

But if they are interested in him, I could see that offer being on the table.

Now, if the Dodgers like LaRoche more than what is being reported, then i think that is asking for too much.

I base that off of the reports that they don't seem to value him as highly.

Hell, even LaRoche and Broxton or Meloan would be very good.

At this point, I would rather have Wood.

However, unlike you, it wouldn't shock me if Aybar ended up the better player.

Last year we heard Wood wasn't even available because he was a top ten prospect. Sure he didn't have a great year but I can't believe his stock has fallen that much. IMO, he's still a top 25 in all of baseball. You'd a rather had Wood last year, and you'd rather have him now, and you'll rather have next year and the five after that. He is, quite simply, a superior player to Ayabar and it isn't even that close.

Totally disagree with your first sentiment, but I've never been a fan of Aybar at all.

I agree that Wood/Saunders is less than these other offers, but I never thought these other offers were realistic.

MWeb is just talking about what some felt Miggy's value was on here...He didn't mean that they were actual offers.

Saunders splits are interesting:

3 yr:

Home: 111.1 IP, 4.85 ERA, .295 BAA, 64 K

Away: 76.0 IP, 4.50 ERA, .268 BAA, 60 K

Home: 56.1 IP, 5.11 ERA, .329 BAA, 29 K

Away: 51.0 IP, 3.71 ERA, .260 BAA, 40 K

It looks like he didn't like Angel Stadium for some reason. FYI - OPACY was 6th best for hitting in general and 3rd best for HRs...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/parkfactor?sort=HRFactor&season=2007

It's also interesting that he is another Virginia product. We seem to like those nowadays...

Wood's value is down and he could end up a flop but right now, he is still a very good prospect with enormous potential.

Now, can he reach that potential?

That is another story.

However, if this is what we can get for Miggy, we have to jump on it.

But is it what we can get for Miggy? Isn't there something out there thats more of a sure thing? I get the potential thing but potential is for when the talent at the bar on a Friday night isn't that great or for a chick with a pretty face and a less than stellar physique.

I see why people like Wood and I really like his power, I just think we could do better. Miggy is still a prime offensive weapon, even at SS or 3B.

We should be looking for more of a "sure thing" than someone with "potential".

See where I'm coming from?

Last year we heard Wood wasn't even available because he was a top ten prospect. Sure he didn't have a great year but I can't believe his stock has fallen that much. IMO, he's still a top 25 in all of baseball. You'd a rather had Wood last year, and you'd rather have him now, and you'll rather have next year and the five after that. He is, quite simply, a POTENTIALLY superior player to Ayabar and it isn't even that close.

Fixed that for you.

If Aybar ends up a GG caliber defensive player with 60+ XBH capabilities and 40+ steals, he becomes a very valuable player.

He has potential to do this and if he does do that, he become a very valuable player.

And, if at the same time, Wood becomes Dallas MacPherson, he ends up being worth very little.

It is certainly possible it could go the way of Wood being worth a lot more and Aybar ending up a UTI guy.

Archived