Rosenthal: O's and A's are teams most interested in Manny Ramirez

ChaosLex

I'd pay good money to see Manny Ramirez in a game as the emergency catcher. He wouldn't even crouch, and when the ball got by him he'd try to talk the ump or the batter into going to fetch it for him.
Yep, and if he could not persuade them, he'd quit.

But what you are forgetting is that he WOULD talk them into it :P

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Assuming the O's are serious about getting a RH DH bat these are the options:

Manny

Nady

Thames

Ordonez

In this context for a MiL contract, why is Manny a worse choice than the others?

Because he's older than all of them, has a PED suspension, and has a well-documented history of being a clubhouse distraction, malcontent, and all-around irritant.

I'm not real concerned either way with signing Manny. But apparently Cespedes' agent is quoting DD as saying he sees Sammy Sosa in Cespedes. Per MLB radio. Any chance signing a guy like Manny would be a PR move for our efforts in Latin America? He isn't exactly popular in the states but he's still a God in Latin America.

I'm not real concerned either way with signing Manny. But apparently Cespedes' agent is quoting DD as saying he sees Sammy Sosa in Cespedes. Per MLB radio. Any chance signing a guy like Manny would be a PR move for our efforts in Latin America? He isn't exactly popular in the states but he's still a God in Latin America.

What does that mean? Does it mean they think he's on PED's?

Sammy Sosa is not a bad comp for Cespedes from what I've read on him. Sosa was a guy who had a ton of power but plenty of swing and miss. For the bulk of his career he was a .260ish type hitter. He did have a 5 year run where he hit in the .300 range but I'm pretty sure he had some assistance during that period. Everything I read about Cespedes sounds like he will be a .250-.260 type hitter with 25-30 HR.

Archived