Favorite short-term Oriole?

markdublya

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pat "The Preacher" Kelly. Amazing clutch hitter for the Orioles in the late 1970's (4 years as a platoon guy but I'm taking him anyway).

I guess I'll go with Pat Dobson of the 1971 4x20 game winners fame as my technical pick. Honorable mention, Don "Full Pack" Stanhouse.

i know this is the opposite of this list but my least favorite Oriole in a 2 year span has to be closer Doug Jones. He was here for one season and even than that was too much. I remember almost every single game he came in with a lead he ALWAYS gave up a run. I am trying to find out how many games he blown but with no luck.

i know this is the opposite of this list but my least favorite Oriole in a 2 year span has to be closer Doug Jones. He was here for one season and even than that was too much. I remember almost every single game he came in with a lead he ALWAYS gave up a run. I am trying to find out how many games he blown but with no luck.

I know Jones didn't have a great stay here in Baltimore, but I can't not like him. He never threw a fastball that hit 90 mph, maybe not even 88, he couldn't find major league job until his 30s, he had a ridiculous walrus mustache, and yet he ended up with 303 saves. On second thought, maybe he was so good because of the mustache...

In 1997, at the age of 40, with what was probably a low-80s fastball, he struck out a batter an inning, had a 9:1 K:BB ratio, and had 36 saves with a 2.02 ERA.

Pat "The Preacher" Kelly. Amazing clutch hitter for the Orioles in the late 1970's (4 years as a platoon guy but I'm taking him anyway).

I guess I'll go with Pat Dobson of the 1971 4x20 game winners fame as my technical pick. Honorable mention, Don "Full Pack" Stanhouse.

Pat Kelly...met him many times...LOVE HIM...Thanks.....Now I feel like crying....One of the kindest people that ever lived!!!

Don't know about you, but I disliked him because Cal Pickering had just posted a 1.000 OPS at the age of 21 in AA, and the O's went right out and signed a 35-year-old Clark to a multi-year deal to block him. This on a team whose average age was 54.

Thanks for remembering this Drungo. I was going to echo someone above, just remembering that it wasn't Rafael Palmiero. (But) this slight really pissed me off for years. It was an indictment of the way Angelos wanted the teams to be constructed and that mentality has held us back, to varying degrees, ever since.

Archived