Favorite short-term Oriole?

markdublya

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reggie Jackson as others mentioned.

Fred Lynn - I remember how cool it was when he signed with the O's.

Several others mentioned Pat Kelly. Since he and I became personal friends after his career I have to include him. He really did help me with my swing, even though it was just softball by that time, but my power improved immensely.

I still remember meeting Pat Kelly before an Oriole game when I was a kid. He was friendly and generous with his time. Those things you don't forget.

E. Davis is at the top of the list...add in Ray Knight (he was signed after WS MVP season), and Terry Kennedy (AS for the O's).

Would like to add Corey Patterson and Schilling to the list, but they played parts of 3 seasons (Corey had a 2 year and a 1 year stint with the club, while Curt was barely on the roster the 1st two years). Honorable mention: Jose Mercedes 2000 season...also did not know that Ron Washington played with the O's for a season.

Jim Traber, a Wilde Lake High School product, came up as a rookie on July 18, 1986 and got red hot along with the O's.

When he came up, the O's were 47-41 and in 5th place. By August 5th, Traber was batting .333/.386/.762/1.148 and the O's were in 2nd place, 2.5 games out of first! In those first 17 games, he had 8 HR's and 22 RBI!

He cooled off and the O's finished in last place, but those first three weeks were amazing.

Curtis Goodwin was called up in June of 1995. He had two hits or more in 10 of his first 11 games. He claimed to have a toolbox of numerous different bunts he could lay down in a variety of situations. He cooled off, too.

And I'm surprised by all the love for Reggie Jackson. I was taught by O's fans to 'hate' Reggie; and from what I've read about his time here, that's what I would've expected from those who are old enough to remember.

You guys do all know Mills was an Oriole for 8 years right?

I admittedly forgot how long we had him and removed him from my list...he even started a few times and pitched 480 innings for us. The cool fu and knockouts just took up all our memory space...

I admittedly forgot how long we had him and removed him from my list...he even started a few times and pitched 480 innings for us. The cool fu and knockouts just took up all our memory space...

Yeah, his second stint was a 2-year gig, but I remember when we got him in a trade and when he would come out of the pen with Frohwirth, Williamson, and Olson would close them out.

Another good 2-year Oriole was Rick Sutcliffe. He threw a 2-hit shutout in the first O's game I ever watched start to finish 20 years ago. (Opening day 1992)

I am stunned by the fact that Randall "K" Myers has zero mention since the OP!! No one reminiscences. About him striking out Thome looking to advance to the ALCS?! Plus c'mon he had a freaking live grenade in his locker!! :)

45 Saves in 97

Sleepers- "Micky" Manto, Flat-breezy, Mike Pagliarulo

Saw Pags hit a grand slam off Nolan Ryan in what I think was Ryan's last start in Baltimore during his final year. Barely took him over the scoreboard in right field.

Kevin Brown. Easily. He was filthy.

Remember watching the game where Kevin Brown tried fielding that ball back up the middle barehanded and breaking his finger, ending his stint as an Oriole.

Add Eric Davis to my list, too. Magical year.

I was gonna say Jack Voigt but he actually played in three seasons. 4 if you count 1992 when he played in one game but didn't get an at bat.

Jim Traber, a Wilde Lake High School product, came up as a rookie on July 18, 1986 and got red hot along with the O's.

When he came up, the O's were 47-41 and in 5th place. By August 5th, Traber was batting .333/.386/.762/1.148 and the O's were in 2nd place, 2.5 games out of first! In those first 17 games, he had 8 HR's and 22 RBI!

He cooled off and the O's finished in last place, but those first three weeks were amazing.

Curtis Goodwin was called up in June of 1995. He had two hits or more in 10 of his first 11 games. He claimed to have a toolbox of numerous different bunts he could lay down in a variety of situations. He cooled off, too.

And I'm surprised by all the love for Reggie Jackson. I was taught by O's fans to 'hate' Reggie; and from what I've read about his time here, that's what I would've expected from those who are old enough to remember.

I loved "The Whammer", Sam Horn was another I liked to watch hit.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0uW5fsQyJPFD23xF24wSDL1DsQckGpqYwpbLpuCpXYUDl_bfN

Fernando was kinda cool too.

72464485_display_image.jpg?1321432326

Albert?

Curtis Goodwin was called up in June of 1995. He had two hits or more in 10 of his first 11 games. He claimed to have a toolbox of numerous different bunts he could lay down in a variety of situations.

Curtis Goodwin is my choice. It was the 1994 season when I really began to appreciate the Orioles on a deeper level. 1995 was when I understood the potential for a young/new player to get better. I have visual memories of that '95 season and I thought Curtis would become amazing- he hit so well so soon and had mesmerizing speed. I saw him pinch run for a SB in 1995 and wondered why he couldn't play everyday for us. I now realize his bat couldn't cut it, but I watched him closely with great hope at the time.

Archived