Guthrie traded to Rockies for Hammel & Lindstrom

Bazooka Jones

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great trade DD! Between this trade and my blind optimism of how the Orioles would perform this year before this season, my team really is making me look smart with our hot start.

Thanks for the kudos COC and LJ....For you new posters go look at some of my threads/posts from the offseason and you will see that even someone with decent baseball knowledge will get carried (which makes this a great forum) around here if you fail to back up your posts with good sound info. And beware of any hyperbole, there is just very little place for it on this board.

I am a very good case study on how not to post in some threads.

Tony I would say you chose the wrong conclusions in this thread....Piggy back off Lucky Jim's points and you can't go wrong! Lol, seriously though LJ is a guy with alot of knowledge even if his lawerly approach towards examining every word as if we were practicing law around here sometimes got on my nerves/made my posts look foolish.

Back to the trade, I fully expect it to even out more as the year goes on, though I suspect it will be a solid W in our corner even in October looking back.

Great trade DD! Between this trade and my blind optimism of how the Orioles would perform this year before this season, my team really is making me look smart with our hot start.

Thanks for the kudos COC and LJ....For you new posters go look at some of my threads/posts from the offseason and you will see that even someone with decent baseball knowledge will get carried (which makes this a great forum) around here if you fail to back up your posts with good sound info. And beware of any hyperbole, there is just very little place for it on this board.

I am a very good case study on how not to post in some threads.

Tony I would say you chose the wrong conclusions in this thread....Piggy back off Lucky Jim's points and you can't go wrong! Lol, seriously though LJ is a guy with alot of knowledge even if his lawerly approach towards examining every word as if we were practicing law around here sometimes got on my nerves/made my posts look foolish.

Back to the trade, I fully expect it to even out more as the year goes on, though I suspect it will be a solid W in our corner even in October looking back.

Haha, not sure what you mean by I choose the wrong conclusions unless you are talking about my first post. Of course I already said my initial reaction to the trade was wrong. Either way, you nicely summarized the events and ended up right.

Piggy back off Lucky Jim's points and you can't go wrong! Lol, seriously though LJ is a guy with alot of knowledge even if his lawerly approach towards examining every word as if we were practicing law around here sometimes got on my nerves/made my posts look foolish.

I'm well aware that I can be a huge pain-in-the-ass (I don't need to do any regressions to know why I'm still single), but at a minimum I think I can say that I'm not a hypocrite - I'm as tough on my own thoughts as I am on anyone else's. Trust me, it doesn't make my life easy.

Haha, not sure what you mean by I choose the wrong conclusions unless you are talking about my first post. Of course I already said my initial reaction to the trade was wrong. Either way, you nicely summarized the events and ended up right.

Yeah that is what I meant but don't short yourself, there was no way of knowing Coors would start playing like pre-humidor Coors (according to Guthrie's latest comments anyone see those on Fangraphs? very unGuthrie like).

Plus there still is alot of season left for Lindstorm not to pitch (although he seems to be coming close to pitching) or Guthrie to turn it around, while Hammel has been trending in the wrong direction (knee or no knee it's making me nervous).

As for LJ I would agree you are not a hypocrite, some of my exaggerations would never have been said by yourself and were rightly criticized.

Since we're quoting ourselves. :D

So, in this thread it has pretty much been established that Guthrie would NOT end up with draft pick compensation.

Absent that, we get into the relative values of Guthrie through one season, or trade deadline, and two other guys through 2 seasons (including 2 offseasons and 4 trade deadlines).

I think the people angry about this trade don't consider the fact that Guthrie's salary is divided in two, with two different players who can provide upside and be traded. They can be traded this trade deadline, next offseason, or next deadline. That's 6 chances to trade one of them, versus Guthrie who has 1 chance and 1 high salary to trade.

We all wanted more, but that's not the point. The point is whether DD did the best he could given the train wreck he was handed. Make no mistake, walking into a season with Guthrie making $8m+ and relying only on one more chance to trade him when the other team would have assumed $4m+ in salary would have been the real disaster.

DD got something. You're all (the people advocating holding him until the deadline) basically advocating holding out for lottery-type odds that Guthrie would suddenly be something he's never been before. If we didn't trade Guthrie now, we were unlikely to get anything of substance for him in July because of his salary. DD salvaged something from nothing.

At least with this trade, we have two guys who could, in theory, build some value. I say good job DD. Don't let the haters get you down.

You're welcome. You really did nail it. I'm CA-O not COC. COC is can of corn.

Right sorry about that, me and several others did nail it down pretty well. With that said I would like to say sorry to Mr. Brian Roberts for the cruel way I portrayed him in the offseason as a selfish person for wasting the teams resources on a lost cause, meaning his recover.

I couldn't have been more wrong and let my emotions and his past use of steroids get the best of me. NOBODY had it more wrong then ME. Sorry for derailing the thread but since it has been so long since I posted I thought that must be said.

Archived