I can't remember a year when there was less buzz about the start of spring training

Frobby

Perhaps we'll finally get things turned around. Usually the HO as a group is pretty excited about ST and the opening of the season... we start hot and everyone is going overboard with excitement only too see the air exit the balloon to yet another disappointing season.

This year most on here think we suck, have little expectation, and if things do go well to start the season, they'll not be convinced it means anything.

Maybe.. finally.. it'll happen.

I'm secretly hoping this as well.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1953. Would Putsy Caballero, Stan Jok, Cuddles Marshall, and Howie Fox lead our boys to the IL title, or would the Phils call them all up before we have a chance? Could Ted Kazanski keep it together long enough to explode on the league?

No, I'm not that old. Maybe El Gordo remembers Putsy and Cuddles.

I was only 7 and just starting to read Duane Decker baseball books. Had no idea who the STL Browns were.

I am still looking forward to this weekend when pitchers and catchers report. But I have to say, I can't remember a year when there was less buzz about it.

It has been a long, long winter. Nothing that has happened with regard to personnel moves is very inspiring. And, the recent spat between the O's administration and OH has darkened everyone's mood. So, I totally understand the lack of buzz.

Still, I am ready for a change of subject. I'm ready to hear about some athletes competing for jobs and preparing to play, instead of the steady drumbeat of front office stuff. So bring it on already.

Huh? Spat? I missed this.

Oh, I am not telling anyone how they are "supposed to" feel. I'm merely observing that there's less buzz than usual, for reasons I understand. But I, for one, have had enough "hot stove" talk and am ready to hear some reports about things happening on a baseball field somewhere, even if it's mostly pablum in the early part of spring training.
Last season the buzz was around the additions of Vlad and DLee, and the expectations of the young SP as a result of their late 2010 performance. This year thankfully, we have no Vlad's or DLee's, nor any overpriced RP's ala Gregg, and Gonzo. The young SP could all start in Norfolk, and the ML rotation of Hammel, Hunter, Wada, Chen, and Simon/Eveland could still outperform last year's version. We have made a number incremental improvements, but none of them are sexy enough to creat a "buzz".

I've been more intrigued by the Orioles missteps and their reactions by the community as opposed to the storylines heading into ST.

I never thought something like that would be the case.

I said this to my wife last night.

For a baseball team, they bring absolutely nothing of interest in that regard. The team will win 65-75 games this year and it'll blend in with the terrible blob of baseball being played since 2001.

So if they aren't going to be interesting during the season, they can at least provide some entertainment in other ways, which they have this year. A lot of people have called this a bad offseason, and it has been if you measure it by the quality of players they have acquired, but I think this has been one of the more entertaining offseasons in a long time. You had the AM situation drag out, the O's get rejected by every worthy GM candidate in baseball, hired DD who was out of baseball for a decade, signed some Asians, got banned in Korea, filled out positions in the FO with the cast of Grumpy Old Men, Keith Law insults the team daily, the Orioles dogged the OH...it's been a great offseason.

And it's not even over yet!

Never mind. Found it.

I regret reading those posts. The O's manage to screw everything up. The O's are incredibly lucky that anyone cares. Sorry for referring to a closed thread, but the organization's behavior obviously strongly correlates with no one caring about spring training. They can't do anything right. They hire a manager before they hire a new GM and then said high profile manager can't hire/keep a coaching staff. They can't hire a competent general manager and literally hire someone who was running an academy for little leaguers and high school kids. It takes them 20 years to get a decent spring training facility. They don't even run the O's to maximize profits...they have insisted on peeing away money on mediocre or over the hill free agents for over a decade. Their drafts have been terrible and their player development is an oxymoron. The O's organization has given fans no reason to care about spring training. No reason to care about the season. All of us are here despite the Orioles.

Last season the buzz was around the additions of Vlad and DLee, and the expectations of the young SP as a result of their late 2010 performance. This year thankfully, we have no Vlad's or DLee's, nor any overpriced RP's ala Gregg, and Gonzo. The young SP could all start in Norfolk, and the ML rotation of Hammel, Hunter, Wada, Chen, and Simon/Eveland could still outperform last year's version. We have made a number incremental improvements, but none of them are sexy enough to creat a "buzz".

Last time I checked Gregg was still on the team. Sign Soler.

Theres very little to be buzzed about. I cant remember a time when I was less enthusiastic about ST. The Orioles did little for the fan base which will come back to haunt them IMO.

I miss your National show Roy, but its time like this that I REALLY miss it. I would love to have a National public figure like yourself that could show the World what this organization has done to our beloved Orioles, and what has happened to those of us few remaining souls who still care!

Archived