Ask Greg Bader: Opening a Dialogue with Orioles fans

Tony-OH

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure Greg can't wait to use what little free time he has to answer all these questions.

This is what he said he wanted. To enter discourse with the loyal fan base who not only spends money with the Orioles, but pays money to support a site dedicated to their success.

Mr. Bader:

Several people have noted that the youth of the Baltimore area no longer have interest in the Orioles. You do understand, don't you, that doing community charity work is not the answer to this disinterest, that the only thing that will change this is winning. Right? Some of your responses have led me to believe that perhaps the organization has lost sight of the importance of Wins and Losses. The Orioles aren't a philanthropic institution -- they're a baseball team -- and it's Wins and Losses that matter to its fans.

That's how I feel. Is that how you feel?

Thanks,

justD

Several people have noted that the youth of the Baltimore area no longer have interest in the Orioles. You do understand, don't you, that doing community charity work is not the answer to this disinterest, that the only thing that will change this is winning. Right? Some of your responses have led me to believe that perhaps the organization has lost sight of the importance of Wins and Losses. The Orioles aren't a philanthropic institution -- they're a baseball team -- and it's Wins and Losses that matter to its fans.

I don't think anyone at the Orioles understands that you become a benefactor to the community when you have been successful at what your customers pay you to do. I don't believe that Peter Angelos is an individual with bad intent..

I was one who, as a teacher, discussed the disinterest of the youth. However, I tied winning heavily into the equation.

I don't think anyone at the Orioles understands that you become a benefactor to the community when you have been successful at what your customers pay you to do. I don't believe that Peter Angelos is an individual with bad intent..

Maybe bad intent to ruin a franchise. Knowingly or unknowingly he has.

Sadly, you are probably correct. Being an optimist, I hold out hope that there are one or two people in the organization who have some sense and a heart.

That maybe one or two do care, but I doubt by the product on the field and lack of voice or vision or viability by ownership, that the majority do not care.

Archived