Ask Greg Bader: Opening a Dialogue with Orioles fans

Tony-OH

In my thread about moving ahead, Greg Bader, the Orioles Director of communications stated:

"

The main message the Orioles want to share with each of you is that we remain committed to supporting online Orioles communities. We do appreciate your love of the Orioles and for your passion both for and against some of our decisions, policies, efforts and initiatives.

If anyone would like to contact me to discuss your concerns, I?d be more than happy to open up a dialogue."

So instead of clogging up the other thread, I thought it would be a great idea for everyone to post their questions here in this thread where Greg can answer the very Orioles fans that he wishes to open up a dialogue with.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr. Bader,

Thank you for your clear explanation of why the Orioles have shifting economic priorities and how that related to the Orioles Hangout. My question is about fan perception in the region. With the continued overall success of the Baltimore Ravens and the increased buzz for the Washington Nationals for the 2012 season, I would like to know if the Orioles front office is aware of the diminishing fan interest in the Orioles franchise? And if so, what are you realistically going to do to make the Orioles more fan-friendly (other than fielding a winning team)?

I've been an Orioles fan for many years and have watched countless friends and colleagues walk away from the team for several reasons. Chief among those reasons is the way that the Orioles treat hometown fans in the face of multiple losing seasons. The feeling is that the Orioles need to market themselves better to the fans in the region and try to make stronger connections with area businesses to attract the lost casual baseball consumer. What are your thoughts on this?

Oriole fans were certainly led to believe that the MASN deal would enable the team to operate on a more level playing field with the Yankees and Red Sox from a monetary standpoint. With the exception of a one year bump in 2007 payroll has not appreciably increased and in fact the O's are steadily moving toward the bottom in terms of team expenditures on the ML Roster.

Considering what a financial boon forced subscription rates are why has the additional of a RSN that has two teams not led to a situation where the Orioles are competitive with the rest of MLB in regards to spending on the ML roster?

Why haven't ticket prices been lowered to coincide with the terrible product the team has been providing? It's unreasonable to expect us to pay the same over-inflated amount for tickets, parking, food and drinks, yet the team churns out the same half-baked attempt at fielding a team every season.

Greg,

If the Orioles [the team] are sick of Yankees fans and Red Sox fans taking over Camden Yards, why are you making it more difficult for Orioles fans to come to those games? Charging premium prices for a non-premium team discourages Orioles fans from coming to those games. If anything, Orioles fans should be encouraged to go to those games. I understand it's a money making decision, but it's a poor one that unfortunately continues to turn a lot of people (including myself) away. I'm a season ticket holder, and I avoid those games like the plague [last game of 2011 withstanding].

-Steve

I'm still awed by introduction of walk up fees. I don't have a question. But here's my dialogue.........it's a slap in the face to penalize fans for attending a game that weren't willing to commit money to in advance. I really can't impart this enough. The way this policy (tax) is interpreted by fans is that you really feel like our money is your right. Just a seriously pompous and insensitive way to squeeze more money out of the few fans who still care enough to pay out the nose to watch another losing season.

ps - in all fairness, I stopped going to OPACY years ago, so the change doesn't affect me....but it stills speaks volumes to me

You gotta ask a question he's allowed to answer without being put on timeout at the Warehouse.

How about...

Peter Angelos...great owner...or the greatest owner?

Ha I can just imagine Pete drawing a circle on the wall and telling people to keep their nose in the circle.

Gregg,

Thank you for giving us an opportunity to speak directly with someone from the Orioles. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to hear our thoughts and concerns.

The one thing I would like to see is that Mr. Angelos became more visible. I'd like to see him at the ballpark more often and I'd like to hear his thoughts on the team. I know this could be difficult for him because he may be subjecting himself to criticism. But I think it's important for fans to know that he still cares deeply about the club and that he remains passionately committed to bringing winning baseball back to Baltimore. A few appearances a year on radio or TV to let fans know that he's in it with us and he suffers the same frustration and heartbreak we do would be great. It would go a long way to restoring faith in the clubs leadership. Thanks for listening.

Archived