Is Everyone Really So Depressed?

hoosiers

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I expect very little but hope for a great deal.

This season probably rest on the arms of Matusz, Arrieta, and Britton. These guys pitch like they are capable it could be interesting. However they all might be starting for Norfolk.

I guess we will know a lot about the future of this club in June.

I think the Ravens loss is still lingering in the minds of many Baltimore sports fans, and with this subdued enthusiasm I believe the team will actually outperform expectations.

We will surprise the baseball world in the first few months playing a little above .500 baseball (60wins, 56losses) but our weaknesses will be found in the last months of the season and we end with 78wins. Overall though the season will go down as a turning point for this organization.

Depressed? No.

Aggravated? Yes.

Let's see last year to spend big on the draft before the CBA? We spend the 11th highest amount. Aggravating.

Last year to spend big internationally, where we've never spent anything of significance before? No big prospect signings (Kim is only a big prospect in the O's minds so far), No Darvish, No Cespedes, most likely no Soler. We signed Chen and Wada because there wasn't a strong demand for them. If there was, there price tags would've been higher. So that's a bit aggravating.

We were one of the worst teams in baseball which suggests minor tweaks to our "Depth" aren't going to result in massive improvements. When you are that bad, the Endy Chavez's and Wilson Betemits of the world won't be the cure.

We got a GM nobody else wanted who was coaching kids last year. Not "Young O's" kids...literally kids.

We are on, I believe it's year 3 of, having to rely on excitement from the progression of our Young O's. And right after watching a season of regression from them.

So that's aggravating in my book. We needed dynamic improvements this offseason. We got Chen, some filler players, a castoff GM, and his crew of "were great 10 years ago" execs.

If the O's were the only thing we had in our lives that'd be depressing. If there was nothing to substitute our time for when the games were on that'd be depressing.

But it's just aggravating instead. It's like when I'm forced to watch 2 and a Half Men or that show about the obese married couple with my inlaws - that's aggravating. But i'm not weeping and looking for a bridge to jump off of because I'm forced to watch bland and unoriginal television.

I think i'm like most O's fans where I care less and less about watching the team at all. This year is probably the least interested I've ever been in the team.

I agree with the opening OP. There's a lot to like about this team. Clearly, this is not a team of stars but there is talent and they play hard for this manager. Regarless of how the season went in the aggregate last year, they played their hearts out in September and provided us with some very exciting baseball. I genuinly like the guys on this team. Look at the effort they put into this off season. Look at how many of them showed up a week, or more, early for spring training. It's not the most talented group but IMO it's definitely a group worth rooting for.

Am I excited about this year? Absolutely. I want to see how Reimold does after blowing it up last September. Will Andino continue to build on his year? How will Matusz, Hunter, Tillman et al do after after busting their butts with Brady all winter? Will Arrieta have a break out year after getting his elbow fixed? Can Davis become the answer at first base? Will a slimmed down Reynolds find his glove at third base? Whose on the bench? How much better will it be? How much will the rotation improve? Is the pen as strong as some people think it is? Who will surprise us? Who will disappoint us? There are so many things to get excited about I can't wait to get started.

Archived