Big test for Matusz today

El Gordo

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

While I'm not against sending all players with options to the minors, Brian Matusz is making a very convincing argument that he remembers why he was a 4th overall pick. While a good problem to have, the O's are going to have a difficult time keeping him out of the rotation.

Although last year was an unmitigated disaster for Matusz, an off season of hard work with Brady, improved velocity, and very good results so far are enough for me to give him his spot back in the rotation. He may still go through his dead arm period, but the results and the re-found velocity tells me we're back to the pre-2011 Matusz. There's little reason to send him back to the minors if he's pitching like this. He was not facing some AAAA guys. He went against one of the best lineups and baseball and dominated them.

Are we past the, "it's early, take pitchers' results with a grain of salt" period?

Although last year was an unmitigated disaster for Matusz, an off season of hard work with Brady, improved velocity, and very good results so far are enough for me to give him his spot back in the rotation. He may still go through his dead arm period, but the results and the re-found velocity tells me we're back to the pre-2011 Matusz. There's little reason to send him back to the minors if he's pitching like this. He was not facing some AAAA guys. He went against one of the best lineups and baseball and dominated them.

Yeah but it was ST for them, too.

I see no problem in sending him down for a month and letting someone without options pitch their way out of the rotation.

I think he needs to succeed at some real baseball -- other than the MLB -- before we give him a spot back. There is nothing wrong with making him work for it a little longer. That may have been the problem last year, is that he thought he was entitled to this and that and didn't have to work for anything.

At any rate, I am thrilled to see him pitching well.

....last season could just be the best thing to happen to him...............

Exactly. Contrary to the opinion that "he was messed with", I think Matusz needed a major attitude adjustment .....and he appears to have made it.

Sometimes you need those failures.

Are we past the, "it's early, take pitchers' results with a grain of salt" period?

Not entirely. All of spring training has limited meaning. But it's not just results, it is how they are being obtained. Throwing strikes and throwing 92-93 is something you don't discount just because it's spring. The main thing is, Matusz clearly has done enough to earn the right to keep taking the ball every five days and increasing his pitch count. Pretty soon, Buck is going to need to decide who gets to stay in the competition, and Matusz is clearly staying in.

Not entirely. All of spring training has limited meaning. But it's not just results, it is how they are being obtained. Throwing strikes and throwing 92-93 is something you don't discount just because it's spring. The main thing is, Matusz clearly has done enough to earn the right to keep taking the ball every five days and increasing his pitch count. Pretty soon, Buck is going to need to decide who gets to stay in the competition, and Matusz is clearly staying in.

Nails it...

Yeah but it was ST for them, too.

I see no problem in sending him down for a month and letting someone without options pitch their way out of the rotation.

I think he needs to succeed at some real baseball -- other than the MLB -- before we give him a spot back. There is nothing wrong with making him work for it a little longer. That may have been the problem last year, is that he thought he was entitled to this and that and didn't have to work for anything.

At any rate, I am thrilled to see him pitching well.

Do you think Buck wants that?

Just imagine your coach saying....OK guys were gonna send down Matusz and Arrieta and let Eveland and Simon start this year... Jake and Brian have an option so they can just go ahead and wait for them to fail and then we'll bring'em up..

:no:

Even though the O's may struggle to win 70 games this year.... they will bring the 5 BEST pitchers north...

If they don't have options then we can either make moves or they will have to go through waivers.

If Matusz this good there is no way Buck leaves him in Norfolk.

And I really think Buck wanted him to start in Norfolk. Perhaps just to teach him a lesson. But if he is lights out he takes the decision out of the managers hand.

Theres no way Matusz, assuming he doesnt fall apart or get hurt, starts the season in Norfolk. Why does everyone assume Tommy Hunter is guarenteed a rotation shot? If Britton gets healthy and

starts to throw well..and Tillman continues to pitch well..youve got the possibility of Chen, Hammel(what makes HIM such a no brainer too?),Arrietta. Matusz, Britton, and the option of Tillman.

That is a pretty good looking young(ish) rotation.Im not even thinking about Eveland, because I dont want to.

Thx, Roy. This is exactly what I've been saying. We haven't even seen Hunter throw yet. And Eveland seems like the odd experiment gone wrong in the laboratory.

Archived