Nick Johnson

waroriole

Okay.....so the Orioles never were really going to attempt to sign Prince Fielder, but just think if they had signed Michael Cuddyer or Carlos Beltran instead of a dead weight like Nick Johnson. Both are off to great starts and would add a big bat to the Oriole lineup.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Between Nick Johnson and Prince Fielder, I'd take Nick Johnson 10 out of 10 times. What does Nick Johnson provide that Prince didn't? The flexibility to cast him off at a moment's notice, which, given the current level of talent on the O's, is far more valuable than a guy that could Adam-Dunnify in any given season and be the anchor that holds this team to the bottom of the ocean for another 14 years.

Nick Johnson was an excellent signing, and I don't think it's time to give up on him yet. He needs another 40-50 ABs and we'll see where he stands then. My guess is in the high .100 range with an OBP near .250. Slow start, but he picks himself up and advances toward the .340'ish OBP guy i was expecting.

Johnson has put up decent numbers in the past when he's been healthy, but for some reason isnt getting the walks this year. I guess you have to get a base hit before they start throwing balls.

If you ask me, he doesn't have a tenth the swagger needed to pull off that mustache, and is essentially mocking the baseball/mustache gods. In Baltimore, facial hair is reserved for guys who produce, like Wieters, Koji, Flacco of even Pitta. If he stopped denying his mediocrity maybe the gods would reward him with allowing him to actually be mediocre, which would be huge.

Between Nick Johnson and Prince Fielder, I'd take Nick Johnson 10 out of 10 times. What does Nick Johnson provide that Prince didn't? The flexibility to cast him off at a moment's notice, which, given the current level of talent on the O's, is far more valuable than a guy that could Adam-Dunnify in any given season and be the anchor that holds this team to the bottom of the ocean for another 14 years.

Nick Johnson was an excellent signing, and I don't think it's time to give up on him yet. He needs another 40-50 ABs and we'll see where he stands then. My guess is in the high .100 range with an OBP near .250. Slow start, but he picks himself up and advances toward the .340'ish OBP guy i was expecting.

Well let's start. Prince Fielder has played at least 157 games every year of his career. Nick Johnson has never played more than 147 games in a season. And has had 24 games total over the previous two years. Fielder's OBP each of the last 4 years is higher than Nick's lifetime OBP. Prince drove in 141 runs one year best Nick did was 77. Batting average Fielder: 283 NJ: 268.. Slugging PF: 540 NJ: 440.

Also PF has proven to still produce in the post steroid era.

Well let's start. Prince Fielder has played at least 157 games every year of his career. Nick Johnson has never played more than 147 games in a season. And has had 24 games total over the previous two years. Fielder's OBP each of the last 4 years is higher than Nick's lifetime OBP. Prince drove in 141 runs one year best Nick did was 77. Batting average Fielder: 283 NJ: 268.. Slugging PF: 540 NJ: 440.

Also PF has proven to still produce in the post steroid era.

Sparkwinder's post has now gone over two people's heads...

Actually, I kinda agree with giving Flaherty some starts at third and keeping Reynolds in a DH role. We could bring up Antonelli, at least he gets on base. Johnson is basically from somebody at this point. I'd rather he play first base if Buck is going to play him and have him hit lower in the order.

I am slow to jump on the overreaction train but N. Johnson has the look of someone that is done. He is not making hard contact ever. I thought he could help us but it looks like that is not in the cards, IMO. I guess it makes who goes when BRob TRIES to play again.

Johnson has put up decent numbers in the past when he's been healthy, but for some reason isnt getting the walks this year. I guess you have to get a base hit before they start throwing balls.

If you ask me, he doesn't have a tenth the swagger needed to pull off that mustache, and is essentially mocking the baseball/mustache gods. In Baltimore, facial hair is reserved for guys who produce, like Wieters, Koji, Flacco or even Pitta. If he stopped denying his mediocrity maybe the gods would reward him with allowing him to actually be mediocre, which would be huge.

:agree:

I believe you have hit the nail on the head - well played.

Archived