Jeffrey Maier

weams

Have you seen a replay that proves this? Because the one facing directly at the wall doesn't show it "clearly" at all.
It does if you look carefully. Avery has his left shoulder against the wall but his right arm is 6 inches or more away from the wall and the arm is extended straight up, clearly in front of the wall. The fans reaches out and knocks Avery's glove out of the way. He couldn't do this and not be in the field of play, IMO. BTW the fan didn't catch the ball.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Press: Did you attempt to ask for replay on that home run?

Showalter: Somewhat, but I knew what the answer was gonna be. Y'know, the ball woulda carried outta the ballpark if nobody's standin' there. I don't know, y'know, our, uh, I don't know, what kinda, if it was a somebody in midnight blue or black-and-orange there, I got a educated guess. So, our goal is to play well enough where they can't get a ticket.

It does if you look carefully. Avery has his left shoulder against the wall but his right arm is 6 inches or more away from the wall and the arm is extended straight up, clearly in front of the wall. The fans reaches out and knocks Avery's glove out of the way. He couldn't do this and not be in the field of play, IMO. BTW the fan didn't catch the ball.

I just don't see that angle showing enough.

I'm confused, didn't MLB install new cameras specifically for this purpose?

Press: Did you attempt to ask for replay on that home run?

Showalter: Somewhat, but I knew what the answer was gonna be. Y'know, the ball woulda carried outta the ballpark if nobody's standin' there. I don't know, y'know, our, uh, I don't know, what kinda, if it was a somebody in midnight blue or black-and-orange there, I got a educated guess. So, our goal is to play well enough where they can't get a ticket.

I don't know how I missed that, thank you for posting this.

So... what am I supposed to go on? The multiple posts of people complaining, or the GIF with exactly the same angle that I referred to? The angle, by the way, that proves nothing.

We need a side angle shot. I am willing to believe it was interference, but that straight on shot facing the LF wall doesn't definitively prove it.

Go to Gameday and watch the video highlights. The YES feed shows it in close up, and to me the fan is clearly interfering. And the MFY announcers have their doubts as wel.l

I am at the beach in NC listening on MLB radio. On the website you can watch the highlight up close from the perspective of the Yankee announcers and hear Singleton and Kaye both say that the ball is fair game in the stands and then both agree that the fan reached out with his glove.

Not that it proves anything--but I'd like my athletic left fielder to be able to make a play on the ball and for my children to learn that they are there to show respect for the players and watch baseball history being made -- not to make it themselves.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2012_05_15_nyamlb_balmlb_1&mode=video

Go to Gameday and watch the video highlights. The YES feed shows it in close up, and to me the fan is clearly interfering. And the MFY announcers have their doubts as wel.l

That replay at Gameday is exactly the broadcast that I watched, and DVRed, and replayed many times. It does not prove anything, other than that Buck should have challenged it.

And just because the fan was interfering with Avery making the catch, that doesn't make it fan interference. If Avery is above the wall and reaching back over the wall, the fan can do whatever he wants. I'm pretty sure he can knock Avery's glove off his hand on purpose if he wants to.

Look, I'm mad at how the play developed, and that it didn't get challenged. But you need to see the play from the side to see where Avery's glove and the fan's glove are with respect to the wall.

That ass totally reached into the field of play, the ball may have been out anyway, and Avery may have been behind the wall, but he reached IN FRONT of Avery and brought the ball in.

He is an ass, and I am a little upset that Buck didn't fight it. If they looked at it there is no way that would have stood.

I will say this though. The Yankee network immediately showed the Maier/Tarasco replay, so they knew that the play was at least potentially fan interference.

Is there a reason why that play would NOT be reviewable?

Watching the MASN broadcast I didn;t feel like it was interference or there at least wasn;t a good replay. Watching the YES replay on MLB.com with closeup super slo mo it certainly looks to me like the glove was over the wall in the field of play. Avery did not have his back completely up against the wall and his arm was relatively straight up. I think that ball was indeed in play. Clearly it wasn't in the stands IMO. With no one around there I think that ball is off the very top of the fence potentially bouncing into the stands or back into play. One thing I know if I was sitting right there some ish would have went down. Maier play haunts my teen years no way there would not be repercussions for that crap in OPACY.

That ass totally reached into the field of play, the ball may have been out anyway, and Avery may have been behind the wall, but he reached IN FRONT of Avery and brought the ball in.

He is an ass, and I am a little upset that Buck didn't fight it. If they looked at it there is no way that would have stood.

If Avery's glove was behind the wall, then the fan didn't bring the ball over the wall, and he was within his right to try to catch the ball. If Avery's glove was directly above the wall or in front of it, then the fan's glove was over the field of play, and it should have been fan interference.

That replay at Gameday is exactly the broadcast that I watched, and DVRed, and replayed many times. It does not prove anything, other than that Buck should have challenged it.

And just because the fan was interfering with Avery making the catch, that doesn't make it fan interference. If Avery is above the wall and reaching back over the wall, the fan can do whatever he wants. I'm pretty sure he can knock Avery's glove off his hand on purpose if he wants to.

Look, I'm mad at how the play developed, and that it didn't get challenged. But you need to see the play from the side to see where Avery's glove and the fan's glove are with respect to the wall.

To me it is pretty clear the fan reached into the filed of play, and the second he did that he was wrong and the play should have been overturned.

Archived