BRob homered tonight!

Frobby

Brian Roberts would be huge for this team.

In the 7 seasons he's had over 100 games, his worst OBP is .337 and worst # of runs scored is 85.

Take Andino, Brobs relacement at 2nd, and our usual lead off hitter, this season his OBP is .273 and he's on pace for 66 runs. Throw in Brobs base stealing abilities and better fielding(Andino is on pace for 21 errors, almost double what Brob did in his worst season)

Even if Brob is at 85% all season, he still gives us more than Andino does now.

That said, I still love Andino.

Not me. I have fallen out of love with him again.

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, and it seems to fit here, so I'll run with it.

Andino has always had that, uh, angry kind of attitude. Even when he'd make a great play or have a game winning hit, his reaction was more "take that mother ....." rather than "Damn that was awesome!" When Andino first came up, I didn't care for him. But, he grew on me, and he became one of my favorites. That said, I never cared for the attitude. I never cared for the not running full out on grounders. I never cared for calling the Red Sox curse words on MASN after we knocked them out of the playoffs last year. But I lived with it while he was playing well.

Well, he isn't playing well anymore, and these things are starting to bother me now. I also find it funny how we have numerous threads about Reynolds defense, with some people even calling for him to be released, while there is little said about Andino's errors, ALL of which have been throwing errors. Andino is not hitting right now, and his defense has not been stellar. Now, more than ever, I am ready for BRob to return to the team and claim his rightful spot.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not me. I have fallen out of love with him again.

I didn't want to start a new thread on this, and it seems to fit here, so I'll run with it.

Andino has always had that, uh, angry kind of attitude. Even when he'd make a great play or have a game winning hit, his reaction was more "take that mother ....." rather than "Damn that was awesome!" When Andino first came up, I didn't care for him. But, he grew on me, and he became one of my favorites. That said, I never cared for the attitude. I never cared for the not running full out on grounders. I never cared for calling the Red Sox curse words on MASN after we knocked them out of the playoffs last year. But I lived with it while he was playing well.

Well, he isn't playing well anymore, and these things are starting to bother me now. I also find it funny how we have numerous threads about Reynolds defense, with some people even calling for him to be released, while there is little said about Andino's errors, ALL of which have been throwing errors. Andino is not hitting right now, and his defense has not been stellar. Now, more than ever, I am ready for BRob to return to the team and claim his rightful spot.

I like Andino, but he has sucked for the last month or so. He has a .508 OPS over his last 32 games. He's also made a lot of errors, including the one last night where the throw wasn't even in the same zip code as the first baseman. He's not making much of a case to keep his job at 2B.

I like Andino, but he has sucked for the last month or so. He has a .508 OPS over his last 32 games. He's also made a lot of errors, including the one last night where the throw wasn't even in the same zip code as the first baseman. He's not making much of a case to keep his job at 2B.

I like Andino for what he did on September 28th, and he has secured his spot in my baseball memory for that. But uh.... yeah, he's not particularly good.

I'll happily admit that I was wrong about Roberts. I didn't think we'd ever see him play again for the Orioles, but that looks like that's about to happen. Congratulations to him for sticking with it when many others myself included said he should hang em up.

I had never been much of a believer in Andino, and he was just starting to make a believer out of me with his hot start this year when he fell off the table. A month ago I would have said no way Roberts should take his spot when he came back - now I'm counting down the days and hoping Roberts can just be 75% of what he was. Amazing how quickly things change in this game.

Who do you prefer receives the lions share of starts at 3b when Roberts returns?

I hate to say it, but I think Andino might be taking his starting role for granted. Maybe if he needed to re-earn his playing time he'd be a little more focused at the plate and in the field.

Who do you prefer receives the lions share of starts at 3b when Roberts returns?

I hate to say it, but I think Andino might be taking his starting role for granted. Maybe if he needed to re-earn his playing time he'd be a little more focused at the plate and in the field.

I have often thought to myself..."This guy acts like he's a Superstar." His mannerisms. His taking third strikes and giving the ump dirty looks. His not running 100% to first base on grounders. He just "acts" like he's much better than what he is...which is a decent Utility guy.

I see some people are piling on Andino now. I like the guy, and have no problem with his attitude or demeanor. He simply isn't playing well right now. He had a 35 game stretch last year where he put up a .561 OPS, and this is a similar stretch. I expect he will snap out of it, but we need to see if BRob can outperform what we expect from Andino, and this cold spell makes Buck's decision very easy.

I like Andino for what he did on September 28th, and he has secured his spot in my baseball memory for that. But uh.... yeah, he's not particularly good.

I almost wonder if 'Dino is pressing a bit to try to establish a starting job in the lineup after B-rob comes back. Buck has not been shy about saying when Brian comes back, he's our starting second basemen. I wonder if 'Dino is a bit bothered and just trying to impress a bit too much and too hard, swinging at too many bad pitches instead of taking walks he could be getting instead possibly at the plate.

Defensively, I can live with some throwing errors here and there if he has great range and can turn a double play well...which he does do, minus the one last night when he threw the ball and almost hit the trenchcoat guy with headphones in the stands. :clap3:

Did somebody say they didn't like the way Andino doesn't run out groundballs and they can't wait until Roberts comes back? Priceless.

Andino is a utility guy doing his best impression of a starting 2B. The errors are the biggest problem. With is offense he needs to be tighter defensively.

There have been countless threads about Roberts not running out ground balls. I guess because BRob doesn't run them hard, Andino doesn't have to either. My bad.

Reynolds defense is atrocious and he needs to be released, but as soon as I criticize Andino for his poor defense, I get accused of piling on. Ridiculous!

There have been countless threads about Roberts not running out ground balls. I guess because BRob doesn't run them hard, Andino doesn't have to either. My bad.

Reynolds defense is atrocious and he needs to be released, but as soon as I criticize Andino for his poor defense, I get accused of piling on. Ridiculous!

I'm not accusing you of piling on because you criticized his defense. I criticized his defense myself. Though, to be fair, both UZR and dWAR say he has been slightly above average at 2B despite his 8 errors.

My point about piling on has to do with the comments about Andino's attitude or demeanor. Just take it as a difference of opinion. I am not criticizing you for having your opinion about that. I just disagree. "Piling on" was a poor choice of words by me, so I retract that.

I'm not accusing you of piling on because you criticized his defense. I criticized his defense myself. Though, to be fair, both UZR and dWAR say he has been slightly above average at 2B despite his 8 errors.

My point about piling on has to do with the comments about Andino's attitude or demeanor. Just take it as a difference of opinion. I am not criticizing you for having your opinion about that. I just disagree. "Piling on" was a poor choice of words by me, so I retract that.

I don't have any problem with Andino's mannerisms, for the record.

I just don't think he's an everyday player.

Roberts has historically been a better hitter from the left side and a Roberts/Andino platoon at second wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm not saying that Andino would play against EVERY lefty, but he seems to be more comfortable against LH pitching.

Andino has a .970 FP and 8 E's. Elvis Andrus has a .971 FB and 7 E's. Renolds has 7 E's between 3B and 1B. Meaningless IMO. Andrus is a top defensive SS. Andino is a league average 2B., and Reynolds is a terrible 3B, and passable 1B. E's don't tell the story.

Andino has a .970 FP and 8 E's. Elvis Andrus has a .971 FB and 7 E's. Renolds has 7 E's between 3B and 1B. Meaningless IMO. Andrus is a top defensive SS. Andino is a league average 2B., and Reynolds is a terrible 3B, and passable 1B. E's don't tell the story.

They tell a part of the story. 8 errors is a lot for a 2B at this time of the season. I feel like several of Andino's errors were due to lapses in concentration, or just ill-advised throws. Last night, for example, he had no chance at all to get Nava, even with a good throw. So instead he air-mails one and allows an extra run to score.

I like Andino's range, but I think he was steadier in the second half of last season than he has been in the first half of this one.

Archived