Mixing the new posters with the vets here at OH

Tony-OH

I've noticed over the last month or so that we've got a lot of new members chiming in and I'm really happy to see this. We've obviously gone through some changes with some old members leaving or being "released," but with that it seems its opened some opportunities up for more people to put in their two cents. That's a very good thing.

I know the OH has been intimating to new members in the past, especially with certain personalities dominating the conversations at times, but I like reading some of the fresh new opinions and ideas that are mixing in well with our longtime members. Our traffic is up and although the Orioles winnings ways is certainly a contributing factor, I truly feel the new folks coming in and joining our community has been a big part of an even better OH. I've been told by a few new people that they feel the board has been very inviting and that's something I haven't heard in a longtime.

There are too many of you to name and I don't want to make anyone upset by missing someone, but I want to thank all of you for making this community the best place to talk Orioles and just about anything else.

Just a few quick thanks of course to my main man weams for doing a great job with the game and minor league summaries as well as Shane for working on things behind the scenes. I also want thank Oldorioles for doing a good job on the prospect tracker.

BTW, speaking of the prospect tracker, I'm thinking of changing the philosophy of the forum and make it more of a discussion for each of the prospects instead of just informational. What do you guys think? right now it doesn't seem to get much traffic and allowing people to just add their thoughts, reports and information about each player would give us a nice record of each players season.

Lastly, we have been given an opportunity to gain more exposure but we would need to change the name or the message board to Baltimore Sports hangout. I know I said I was going to do this earlier this year, but I wanted to get Hangouters' opinion on the matter. Would you care if the board's theme was Baltimore Sports instead of being Orioles centric even if none of the forums or content changed?

On the bright side we would change the look and feel of the board and we would move away from that orange banners on each post to something a little more neutral.

Anyways, I want to use this thread for some feedback as well as to welcome some of the new blood into the Hangout community. We welcome all feedback whether you have two posts or 20,000.

As always, thanks for being a Hangouter.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, as a grizzled veteran, I would like to welcome the newbies on board. We might haze you from time to time, as any good rookie needs to endure that, but its always fun having new opinions to read.

Second, if I had a preference, I would rather keep the "Orioleshangout," but that said, its not a deal breaker for me. I actually like the color scheme.

If we do change to a new "Baltimore" based name, can I please keep my 4 birds? I just lost a bush, I can't lose 4 birds and a bush all in the same time frame! lol

Lastly, I'll take this opportunity yet again to express what a great job Tony, Weams, Scottie and the gang does around here. Thanks fellas!

Second, if I had a preference, I would rather keep the "Orioleshangout," but that said, its not a deal breaker for me. I actually like the color scheme.

I agree with this. I like that it's Orioles-specific but it's not going to kill me if it changes.

Also, I love OH. Everyone is awesome, old or new. :clap3:

First, as a grizzled veteran, I would like to welcome the newbies on board. We might haze you from time to time, as any good rookie needs to endure that, but its always fun having new opinions to read.

If we do change to a new "Baltimore" based name, can I please keep my 4 birds? I just lost a bush, I can't lose 4 birds and a bush all in the same time frame! lol

Lastly, I'll take this opportunity yet again to express what a great job Tony, Weams, Scottie and the gang does around here. Thanks fellas!

None of the rep or posts or anything would change. Just a new name for the message board and a new look. Orioles Hangout the site would still stay.

None of the rep or posts or anything would change. Just a new name for the message board and a new look. Orioles Hangout the site would still stay.

Well then, if its an opportunity for you and the OH, er, the "GuyswhoareOriolesandRavensandMoviesandSportsandstufffanshangingouttogether" to grow and expand, I don't see how you could turn that down.

It might stop being the top hit for "Orioles forum" searches and not bring in as many new members, and things like that. You may be able to do better with a 100% Orioles focus. Also I don't care for the Ravens and I don't want the forum to turn black and purple!

As long as the content remains the same, the name change really is a non-issue for me. This site is awesome, I come here almost everyday. I enjoy the veterans as well as the rookies. More knowledge and opinion are part of what makes this a great site.

I think the Orioles Hangout brand, which you have cultivated for years, will be stronger then anything you could change it to.

As for new posters, my best advice is to be prepared to defend your positions.

I tend to agree with the first point, and it's definitely my preference (though I like the Terps, too) - but, that said, this is absolutely the kind of decision that requires rational self-interest. If the expansion will make the place better for those who invest the most in it (those who run it) you have to do it.

On the second point, I have no idea what C_o_C is talking about.

Archived