Prediction: Matusz and Arrieta will be traded before July 31st.

Flacco Machado

I'm not sold on Garza either, but I think the O's would have to part with at least one of Matusz or Schoop and a lower level prospect or two for Garza. If the O's take Soriano back and pay half his salary then maybe Matusz or Schoop along with a reliever like Lindstrom.

Then don't go after Garza......he's overvalued

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope DD is reading this today. I think Matusz and Arrieta suffered from being around Guthrie their first couple of years. None of them have what is known as a killer instinct on the mound. They never finish games and seem to think every 4-6 inning outing is a good day at work for them. We need pitchers with physical and mental toughness and these guys don't have it. I was hoping Brady would help them with this during the off season. If improving the team means dealing Arrieta or Matusz and maybe both DD should make the deals.

These are the pitchers Brady trained over the winter. I still would like to see if the Brady training is good or bad. Reimold was the other Oriole to train with Brady. We shall see if this amounts to anything more then Mr. Angelos giving Brady a better job within the Orioles.

Pitchers Zach Britton, Chris Tillman, Tommy Hunter, Brian Matusz and Brad Bergesen

The O's would have to give up more to get Garza and Headley than that. What if the O's included Chris Davis in the deal and got back LaHair.

O's get:

Garza

Soriano

Lahair

Cubs get:

Matusz

Davis

Avery

I'm pretty sure that the Cubs want to link Garza/Dempster and Soriano. If the Cubs pick up all but $5 or 6 mill of his deal, it would be a good deal. Improving our offense and pitching.

Lineup

Roberts 2B

Hardy SS

Markakis (when he returns) RF

Jones CF

Weiters C

LaHair 1B

Reynolds DH

Soriano LF

Betemit/others 3B

Rotation

Hammel

Chen

Garza

Arrietta

Tillman/Gonzalez/Britton whoever takes the spot.

The O's would have to give up more to get Garza and Headley than that. What if the O's included Chris Davis in the deal and got back LaHair.

O's get:

Garza

Soriano

Lahair

Cubs get:

Matusz

Davis

Avery

I'm pretty sure that the Cubs want to link Garza/Dempster and Soriano. If the Cubs pick up all but $5 or 6 mill of his deal, it would be a good deal. Improving our offense and pitching.

Lineup

Roberts 2B

Hardy SS

Markakis (when he returns) RF

Jones CF

Weiters C

LaHair 1B

Reynolds DH

Soriano LF

Betemit/others 3B

Rotation

Hammel

Chen

Garza

Arrietta

Tillman/Gonzalez/Britton whoever takes the spot.

Don't wanna trade Davis yet.

Maybe I'm just pre-occupied with other stuff, but can anyone name a pitcher that was below average to bad in the majors for a few seasons and then suddenly turned into a superstar? Maybe there are a few that just dont immediately come to mind, but what are the odds any of our guys take that path? Slim to none?

Maybe I'm just pre-occupied with other stuff, but can anyone name a pitcher that was below average to bad in the majors for a few seasons and then suddenly turned into a superstar? Maybe there are a few that just dont immediately come to mind, but what are the odds any of our guys take that path? Slim to none?

This guy had an ERA+ of 82, 54, 92 his first three full seasons and didn't break 110 his first six full seasons.

He turned out OK.

Koufax

Kevin Brown

Here`s a list of players who from 1901 to 2012, from 1st season to 2nd season put up an ERA plus of less than 95 and started at least 10 games and started in at least 60 percent of their appearances who went on to at least one All-Star game in their career. So, I guess my answer would be it`s not unprecedented, but there are probably far more burn outs than there are names on this list (137).

link

Notables:

Ryan Dempster

Randy Johnson

Catfish Hunter

Dan Haren

Jake Peavy

Tom Glavine

Greg Maddux

Sandy Koufax

Archived