Kevin Gausman has now signed for the Orioles

xian4

Shouldn't we just have signed Appel if we were going to pay that much over slot?

Isn't that the whole reason he dropped in the draft in the first place and eventually chose to go back to school?

If we were going to overpay' date=' we should have gone with him IMO instead of a guy who eats a whole sleeve of donuts before every game he pitches. Yeah, that really bothers me long term. I don't know why, it just does.[/quote']

We went $132K overslot. How is that "that much over." Appel wanted millions in overslot. He might have signed with us for $4.3M but he wanted $5M+.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You just did what you accused others of doing. You took a little information and then went into total speculation. You have no idea what Gausman asked for or what the Orioles offered. Why have an opinion?

I had already made the point that whether Gausman signed for under slot that it would have been too late to sign Poche or Velasquez. They did not have a good grasp on what it would take to sign Gausman going into the draft. They could have played hardball before the draft and said "sign for 3.7M" or you slide to the next team whose cap is 3.5M and you might slide even further". They got their guy so it's not a huge deal, especially if they feel Gausman is that much better than someone like Zimmer. Some people had Zimmer rated higher. Some had Gausman. Why were the Royals able to get a pre-draft deal (speculation supported by common sense) with Zimmer for 500K under slot while the Orioles were taken to the last minute and paid 120K over slot? It's a valid question and the speculation isn't unwarranted.

Common sense, you know what that is right? Would say that he wasn't asking for less.

The deal took up until the last second. Would you or any of the other ones who think this was mishandled rather have let Gausman go back to LSU? There is a chance that if he took until the last second we don't sign any of the 3. I'd like to see what this place would be like if we had not signed him.

We know what he told the Astros but that isn't relevant. I can guarantee you he didn't tell Baltimore 5 million like you suggested was possible earlier.

And this guarantee is based on? Let me guess, more speculation? I just threw out a figure, it could have been 4.33 or 4.4 or 4.5. I have no idea and am not trying to make myself out as someone who knows anything about the negotiations.

Common sense.

If a team had 4.2 slot money for someone wanting 5 million would they only take one player 2-10 that would be agreeable to a significantly less then slot offer?

You don't have to be privy to specific information to be able to deduce certain facts.

Common sense.

If a team had 4.2 slot money for someone wanting 5 million would they only take one player 2-10 that would be agreeable to a significantly less then slot offer?

You don't have to be privy to specific information to be able to deduce certain facts.

Again, the 5 million was just a number thrown out of the air. Common sense would also tell you that if it took until the end of the deadline and he signs for 4.32. That he either a) was asking for more then that b) was asking for that and the O's had been trying to get him for less. Appel dropped cause of his demands, correct? The Pirates still drafted him at #8 with a cap # of 2.9. They had to know he wanted more then that, correct?

Again, the 5 million was just a number thrown out of the air. Common sense would also tell you that if it took until the end of the deadline and he signs for 4.32. That he either a) was asking for more then that b) was asking for that and the O's had been trying to get him for less. Appel dropped cause of his demands, correct? The Pirates still drafted him at #8 with a cap # of 2.9. They had to know he wanted more then that, correct?

Big difference between 4 and 8, especially in a weak draft.

Also the Pirates drafted in such a way that they had 3.6 available to offer Appel.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, I had forgotten about this thread. Sure, it's common sense to think Gausman was asking for more than 4.32M. It's also common sense to think the O's thought they could sign him for significantly less and still sign Poche and maybe Velazquez. Since, almost everyone else in the first 10 picks was signed for slot or under slot it SEEMS as though the O's did not have a good grasp on what it would ACTUALLY take to sign Gausman or how tough the negotiations would be. The offered up every last dime that had before incurring a penalty. Common sense would tell me that Gausman and his negotiators totally outplayed the O's in this one. Would everyone have been up in arms if the O's didn't sign Gausman? Probably, but a lot of that would be on the O's not knowing what it would take to sign Gausman before the draft. Personally, I would have been OK with the O's offering 3.7M and not signing him and getting the extra pick next year. However, at the point the O's were at, I may have even offered the 4.2M slot because the it was too late to offer the money around to other picks. On pricinpal I think most fans would have been just fine if the O's had offered 4.2M and Gausman had not taken it. Most of the criticism would have been directed at Gausman in that case, IMO.

OR he told the O's he wanted 4.32, they thought they could get him for less, drafted him and he stuck to his guns and got what he wanted. We'll probably never know the truth. It's all just speculation.

OR he told the O's he wanted 4.32, they thought they could get him for less, drafted him and he stuck to his guns and got what he wanted. We'll probably never know the truth. It's all just speculation.

If Appel goes #1 and signs than Gausman doesn't get $4.32M. it was the fact that he was the first pitcher taken aspect that put him in a good spot IMO.

If Appel goes #1 and signs than Gausman doesn't get $4.32M. it was the fact that he was the first pitcher taken aspect that put him in a good spot IMO.

The reason Appel didn't go #1 is cause he turned down/wanted over 6 million. IMO, if Appel gets 6 @#1, Gausman has every right to ask for atleast slot.

Archived