Jim Thome is embarrassing himself and the team is suffering because of him

zero1

I think the basic argument is forcing Davis to LF and we could have gone with Avery/Hoes in LF instead.

This argument doesn't make sense, though. If the O's never got Thome, they could have gone with Avery/Hoes in LF. But now that they have Thome, they can't go with it?

Thome is an upgrade over Davis as a hitter. They could still go with Avery/Hoes if they wanted to.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This argument doesn't make sense, though. If the O's never got Thome, they could have gone with Avery/Hoes in LF. But now that they have Thome, they can't go with it?Thome is an upgrade over Davis as a hitter. They could still go with Avery/Hoes if they wanted to.

It's not my argument. It's the one I've heard and that is Thome was duplicative with Davis/Reynolds and was unnecessary. I don't agree with the argumeent, but I'm not sure that it doesn't make sense (yes you can argue it seems ridiculous now, but that's not the point). Since Thome was acquired and was taking a roster spot then that's the way they decided to go.

OOO Maybe Thome would be better than those guys in the lineup on offense, but don't you think that it's a tad disingenuous to refer to him as "the Hall-Of-Famer," as though he were still hitting 45 HR's a year, and he were 10 years younger ???

Maybe but he will be in the Hall of Fame.

• 1 month later...

o

Well, Big Jim had a rough day overall at the plate today, but he saved his best for last.

After Matt Wieters failed to get Adam Jones (lead-off double) to 3rd with nobody out, Big Jim came in and hit a much-needed RBI-double to plate what proved to be the winning run.

o

Well, Big Jim had a rough day overall at the plate today, but he saved his best for last.

After Matt Wieters failed to get Adam Jones (lead-off double) to 3rd with nobody out, Big Jim came in and hit a much-needed RBI-double to plate what proved to be the winning run.

You came up big again when we needed it the most, Big Jim.

Too bad the umpire totally sucked and robbed you (and perhaps a few other Oriole players) of being a hero in back-to-back games. :angryfire:

You came up big again when we needed it the most, Big Jim.

Too bad the umpire totally sucked and robbed you (and perhaps a few other Oriole players) of being a hero in back-to-back games. :angryfire:

It wasn't just me? Both times I was fairly far from the TV, but they both looked liked homers to me.

Thome had another great at bat, but both hits the last two nights would have been out in years past. You can tell his power is starting to go, but hey, he's still a great option off the bench.

I thought both were gone when he hit them. Especially today's.

Thome had another great at bat, but both hits the last two nights would have been out in years past. You can tell his power is starting to go, but hey, he's still a great option off the bench.
I thought both were gone when he hit them. Especially today's.

I blame RevO, she specifically asked for a GRD in the game thread.

I am sure that he has lost some power, but I think he can still put it in the stands. He just won't do it as frequently as he did 5 or 6 years ago. I think that he would still have the power to hit a homerun about once every twenty ABs which still puts him in the same power range of Adam Jones. As you said, that is still a great option off the bench and the O's will need that in the post season.

Yesterday's was hit to that deep part of right field at Fenway. It was right in

front of the 380 foot sign. Most stadiums are only about 350 feet at that location. Therefore, I think that hit is off the wall or out in some other stadiums. It didn't matter because it won the game anyway.

The hit today was a hard hit line drive and did not have much height. If he elevates it a little, I think that it would have had a chance to go out at Fenway. I also think that if that line drive was at Camden Yards, it would have bounced off the lower part of the wall and quickly back to the fielder and Reynolds would have been held to third base. It just shows that baseball is a game of inches and angles and it doesn't always go your way.

Some of his homers in his brief stint as designated hitter for the Phillies during interleague play were upper deck shots.

He hasn't lost his power.

And the homers he hit for the O's before being DL'd were also crushed. He's only been back for two days.

Archived