Jim Thome is embarrassing himself and the team is suffering because of him

zero1

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hmm, but do you agree or disagree with the stated title of this thread?

I've been a supporter of the Thome acqusition from the beginning. If he stays healthy I think he can be a big producer for us. I have loved watching his AB's. I like the thread because the OP is so ridiculous that it's actually funny.

This site has a wonderful section for venting our base emotional reactions. It's called Rants, and it should be our safe place...where people understand we're just letting out some frustration. So, when the O's are down by a run, a runner is already in scoring position on second base, a lefty is up, and the pitcher is throwing 99, and the baserunner gets caught stealing third, I don't begin a thread announcing that we should cut the player on the spot... I can go to the rants section or throw my remote into a safe zone of sofa cushions. (Did I bring up a specific memory for anyone?)

I think this thread did what it was supposed to do, now make one about Matt Wieters, Mark Reynolds, and JJ Hardy please.

It only works when it is organic. Like the Take to Vegas, Book It threads. In the beginning. It takes someone willing to put it out there. To get banned for the cause. Self-Immolation. It takes a hero.

Look, Thome is old. Thome is striking out more and walking less. I see it. BUT, his 820 OPS this season is second on this team behind Jones, right? I love this team, but I think we can afford a slot for Thome since an offensive juggernaut we currently are not.

Look - Thome doesnt need to be the dominant hitter he was years ago... he just needs to produce enough to stay in this lineup, because if you watch him in the dugout and with the other players, you can tell his infuence is both positive and something this team kind of lacks. He is always smiling and seems to constantly be talking with different guys. I have never really been huge into the whole "clubhouse" guy kind of thing, because that guy needs to be a regular producer for his influence to really matter. But Thome has shown me something in his short time here that he is a legit guy that will help in the clubhouse.

Look - Thome doesnt need to be the dominant hitter he was years ago... he just needs to produce enough to stay in this lineup, because if you watch him in the dugout and with the other players, you can tell his infuence is both positive and something this team kind of lacks. He is always smiling and seems to constantly be talking with different guys. I have never really been huge into the whole "clubhouse" guy kind of thing, because that guy needs to be a regular producer for his influence to really matter. But Thome has shown me something in his short time here that he is a legit guy that will help in the clubhouse.

Well if your a young player and a guy with 600 career HR tells you something then you listen. Earlier in the game they showed him in the dugout walk over and pat Flaherty on the back, later Flaherty homered . I liked the Thome pick up then, and I like it now. He still has enough pop to make him dangerous, and he still works the count. He's not up there just hacking like a certain DH we had last year.

Guest rochester

I agree with being iffy on the whole" good clubhouse" guy thing as well. But there are other things, besides the fact that he is 7th all-time in HRs (actually 5th in my book, taking Bonds and A-roid out) without synthetics - he may be able to help other guys out. I remember reading a story (very short version) when Jose Bautista was playing in Toronto and Vernon Wells gave him advise to swing earlier; he was waiting too long on FBs and couldn't catch up to them - it changed his entire career.

I still think signing Thome was, if not a mistake, at least unnecessary. He's basically a one dimensional player who filled no obvious need. However, it is possible that in addition to the possibility that he could still occasionally hit for power, there were subliminally subjective reason that Duquette and Showalter elected to bring Thome into the fold......leadership. That makes sense only if they think this team has a legitimate chance to make the playoffs. If so, I think Duquette will make a move to acquire a true impact player before the deadline.

Well if your a young player and a guy with 600 career HR tells you something then you listen. Earlier in the game they showed him in the dugout walk over and pat Flaherty on the back, later Flaherty homered . I liked the Thome pick up then, and I like it now. He still has enough pop to make him dangerous, and he still works the count. He's not up there just hacking like a certain DH we had last year.

Uh, yes.

Yeah, Thome is REALLY embarrassing with his .370 OBP. He's yet to slug, but he will.

He's created some stability in that lineup.

And he guarantees that the opposing pitcher will throw 10 pitches in the first inning. We have had line ups that did not require that.

Archived