Are we trying to get too much pitching?

Sports Guy

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that possible?

When you're trotting out Victor Zambrano, Victor Santos and Jon Leicester... I dunno if it is possible.

But at least we have some pitching...We have no hitting.

And I am not saying not to get any pitching.

But the Bedard deal especially must bring back a lot of talent.

Let's just say that we end up trading Bedard for Jones, Butler, Morrow and Sherrill.

We trade BRob for Gallagher, Veal and Cedeno.

Here is what our offseason would have added:

CF- Jones...Great prospect...Would love to have him...Jones, Bruce and Kemp...3 best position players we could walk away with.

LF- Scott...Solid bat but 29 years old.

2nd/SS- Cedeno....Decent glove, questionable bat.

Then pitching:

Butler: Frederick

Sherrill: Closer in BMore

Morrow: Assume starter...Not sure

Patton: Starter

Albers: Should be in pen

Gallagher: Norfolk

Veal: Norfolk

To me, that is a decent haul of players but other than Jones, we don't walk away with anything special. We need more than that.

I like how people say we have pitching...What exactly do we have, are you telling me any of the guys we have now, except Bedard, can go toe to toe with the best in the Amercian League? The Yanks and Sox young pitching blows ours out of the water. The surest things we have are Markakis and Wieters, both position players, and while we do need a good mix of talent on both sides of the ball, PITCHING WINS and you can never go wrong in trying to acquire as much as possible!

Well we currently have some pretty good pitching depth in my opinion.

And I agree...But now you are asking them to do several other trades.

People are saying to just acquire pitching and then trade it.

Yea, that can happen...No doubt. Pitching is a very valuable commodity.

However, positional talent is total lacking in our system and on our ML team.

We have to add some now.

I like how people say we have pitching...What exactly do we have, are you telling me any of the guys we have now, except Bedard, can go toe to toe with the best in the Amercian League? The Yanks and Sox young pitching blows ours out of the water. The surest things we have are Markakis and Wieters, both position players, and while we do need a good mix of talent on both sides of the ball, PITCHING WINS and you can never go wrong in trying to acquire as much as possible!

You can wrong when you have no hitting.

Yes, Boston and NY have great pitching but their hitting is much better as well.

We have NOTHING in terms of hitters.

And I agree...But now you are asking them to do several other trades.

People are saying to just acquire pitching and then trade it.

Yea, that can happen...No doubt. Pitching is a very valuable commodity.

However, positional talent is total lacking in our system and on our ML team.

We have to add some now.

I agree and that's why we shouldn't turn our head to adding a guy like Murton. You could obviously DH him.

Votto and and Hamilton would be some nice positional talent to add as well. Not to mention Bailey or Cueto would really add to that Pitching surplus. As wood Gallagher.

But at least we have some pitching...We have no hitting.

And I am not saying not to get any pitching.

But the Bedard deal especially must bring back a lot of talent.

Let's just say that we end up trading Bedard for Jones, Butler, Morrow and Sherrill.

We trade BRob for Gallagher, Veal and Cedeno.

Here is what our offseason would have added:

CF- Jones...Great prospect...Would love to have him...Jones, Bruce and Kemp...3 best position players we could walk away with.

LF- Scott...Solid bat but 29 years old.

2nd/SS- Cedeno....Decent glove, questionable bat.

Then pitching:

Butler: Frederick

Sherrill: Closer in BMore

Morrow: Assume starter...Not sure

Patton: Starter

Albers: Should be in pen

Gallagher: Ottawa

Veal: Ottawa

To me, that is a decent haul of players but other than Jones, we don't walk away with anything special. We need more than that.

Who do we get back from the Phillies when we trade these guys, and why are they sending them to a city where there is no longer a professional baseball club? I am confused! :rolleyes:

The thing is, it's not like we're getting guys like Kershaw, Bailey, Adenhart...guys like that. Even though we got pitching depth and are asking for pitching in other deals, it's not elite pitching prospects.

We need ELITE talent back for Bedard and Roberts. At least 1 for Roberts and 2 for Bedard. If AM wants mostly pitching, then I don't agree but OK, but it has to be top tier pitching prospects. Morrow, Gallager, Albers, Veal...these guys are just not elite prospects.

The Marlins got Miller and Maybin, Rangers got Salty, Twins want Ellsbury/Bucholz/Hughes....These are the type of guys we should be targeting, not 4-5 lower tier guys.

Exactly...We are talking guys with ceilings as closers and 3rd-5th starters.

That isn't helping anything. We have guys with those ceilings.

I agree and that's why we shouldn't turn our head to adding a guy like Murton. You could obviously DH him.

Votto and and Hamilton would be some nice positional talent to add as well. Not to mention Bailey or Cueto would really add to that Pitching surplus. As wood Gallagher.

You can't DH him until you move other guys though

Archived