One source is telling me it doesnt look like the Orioles will do anything now

Greg

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That is probably the best example, and I would have gone after him too. I doubt we did though, just because his attitude probably would not have meshed well with Buck. I am guessing that is why he ended up getting traded for so little. I am not saying it is right, but I can understand it I suppose.

attitude, money, prospects.... mehh theres always some excuse. Its the new Oriole Way I'm afraid. Lets just "tip our hat" to them. :(

I think the bolded is really flawed logic.

I also think way too much is being made of our "lack of trade chips". I don't think we lacked trade chips at all, I think we were just smart enough not to use them for a futile purpose. In fact, no one ever really even said we lacked trade chips, as much as they said we had 3 really good pieces to trade that were too good to trade for anything being offered.

I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing in re: a point that's not really worth it.

The O's aren't a playoff-caliber team. The cavalry has all-but-collapsed. The infield is a patchwork quilt of players who likely won't be around 3-4 years from now. Wieters has probably demonstrated (by now) that he's not the MOO-titan many hoped he'd be. LF is a gaping chasm (regardless of how much I like Davis as a player, I don't think he's a solution out there). In short, the "core" of this team is brimming-over with worms. The MiL system has Bundy, Machado, Schoop, and, to a lesser degree, Hoes, who're most likely the only players "down there" who stand a chance of contributing to the ML squad within the next 1-2 years. And before anyone says "Gausman," I'd like to see him throw a professional pitch before making guesstimations as to his MLB-arrival time.

It's not flawed logic to see even prudent deadline-inactivity as a reinforcement of the idea that the O's continue to be a long way away from competing for a postseason berth on anything resembling a consistent basis, let alone a championship. Trading from an extremely limited stable of prospects to buttress an ill-fated postseason run in 2012 would've likely set the O's back even farther. Suffice it to say that those are frustrating, sobering thoughts.

I am very pleased. As soon as Philly mentioned Jonathan Schoop for Blanton, I hang up in their ear. Which is likely what DD did. I was not in favor of trading any of our better propsects, so I am happy about not losing any of them. I am very pleased with the 3 guys we are looking at in the pitching staff right now (Gonzalez, Tillman and Britton) and I did not see a clear upgrade to any of them that would not cost a boat load. I value Tommy Hunter much higher than Joe Blanton.

Bottom line? I am in favor of staying on course and building a sustainable winner the right way. I am not in favor, and never was, of shooting our wad for this year. I am still jacked up, and looking forward to making a run with what we have currently. I look forward to Hammel returning, and our starting staff being very good down the stretch. If anything, I am a touch dissapointed because we did not sell high on a couple guys that could have helped reload our minor league pipeline, but I assume that deals were not there. It is OK people, we are the Baltimore Orioles, and that is just now something to be proud of again.

I think you're arguing for the sake of arguing in re: a point that's not really worth it.

The O's aren't a playoff-caliber team. The cavalry has all-but-collapsed. The infield is a patchwork quilt of players who likely won't be around 3-4 years from now. Wieters has probably demonstrated (by now) that he's not the MOO-titan many hoped he'd be. LF is a gaping chasm (regardless of how much I like Davis as a player, I don't think he's a solution out there). In short, the "core" of this team is brimming-over with worms. The MiL system has Bundy, Machado, Schoop, and, to a lesser degree, Hoes, who're most likely the only players "down there" who stand a chance of contributing to the ML squad within the next 1-2 years. And before anyone says "Gausman," I'd like to see him throw a professional pitch before making guesstimations as to his MLB-arrival time.

It's not flawed logic to see even prudent deadline-inactivity as a reinforcement of the idea that the O's continue to be a long way away from competing for a postseason berth on anything resembling a consistent basis, let alone a championship. Trading from an extremely limited stable of prospects to buttress an ill-fated postseason run in 2012 would've likely set the O's back even farther. Suffice it to say that those are frustrating, sobering thoughts.

I can accept that logic. It makes sense. That said if the team felt that way then maybe they should have moved some players to get guys back prospects who could be used to reinforce that weak system. I just feel standing still is like the deer in the headlight approach that gets you nowhere. Either make some modest moves or bold moves to get guys, or make the same moves to get prospects. Maybe thats unrealistic, dunno, but just sitting still kinda leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

The major league roster needs talent. There were multiple talented second-tier players who could have been had without giving up Bundy, Machado and Schoop. Not only do we not add talent or depth, it doesn't really show potential free agents that this organization is committed to adding necessary pieces to win. There are a lot of pieces, but at least fill one of them. H-Ram, Liriano and others could have been had for a song if there was some proactive thought in the front office. Same organization, different year.

I can accept that logic. It makes sense. That said if the team felt that way then maybe they should have moved some players to get guys back prospects who could be used to reinforce that weak system. I just feel standing still is like the deer in the headlight approach that gets you nowhere. Either make some modest moves or bold moves to get guys, or make the same moves to get prospects. Maybe thats unrealistic, dunno, but just sitting still kinda leaves a bad taste in the mouth.

I can understand this sentiment. I wanted to be sellers at the deadline, but that didn't happen either. I still think we should have sold high on JJohnson, and I predict that will come back to haunt us. But I am very happy that all of our prospects are still Oriole property.

I can understand this sentiment. I wanted to be sellers at the deadline, but that didn't happen either. I still think we should have sold high on JJohnson, and I predict that will come back to haunt us. But I am very happy that all of our prospects are still Oriole property.

I agree. As I said in another thread I kinda take the approach that if you determine that you do not have the tools to make a run or you cannot get back what you need to do so then at that point I cannot see why you do not take advantage of the market to move some guys and bring in prospects so your not in the same boat next year. You can't say on the one hand the price was to high and on the other hand ignore the fact this means you could have gotten a pretty decent return for some guys potentially. Missed opportunities matter. Just think the one way you lose in this situation is by doing nothing. If your feel the team is flawed and minors are thin then do something to fix it. If your not moving forward your moving backwards.

The major league roster needs talent. There were multiple talented second-tier players who could have been had without giving up Bundy, Machado and Schoop. Not only do we not add talent or depth, it doesn't really show potential free agents that this organization is committed to adding necessary pieces to win. There are a lot of pieces, but at least fill one of them. H-Ram, Liriano and others could have been had for a song if there was some proactive thought in the front office. Same organization, different year.

Either add to the major league team or add prospects by trading from it so you can next year if your in this position. To me sitting there with your thumb in your butt is treading water and in this game if your doing that your moving backwards. Its was a missed opportunity IMO. Guess time will tell

I agree that this point isn't really arguing, so I won't argue it. But I think you are being way too dire in your assessments of things, especially re: the cavalry has collapsed (hard to see how that can be the case when 2 of the 4 are showing a lot of promise in the starting rotation and we just learned about how the other two still have significant value even at the very bottom of their respective values). I read your post and I thought: pessimism bias. It seems like you--and others--are disappointed by the lack of an event/excitement that you had been looking forward to and in the aftermath of the absence of that event you are letting your disappointment bleed into your analysis.

Chances are next year at the deadline we'll be wondering if Arrieta, Britton, Matusz, Tillman are the real deal, hoping against hope they will pan out. We'll be stuck in the same position while proactive clubs are making deals to improve their clubs. I guess they are so great that they are untouchable.

This thread has a chance to top the recent WAR thread.

At a certain point, you rely on industry consensus. Liriano went for peanuts. Most of the other trades were at least arguable. I'm sort of disappointed we couldn't eat 3M for Blanton, I'd have liked to be in on Liriano at that price although I think he might easily be quite bad going forward, I think Headley was worth the kind of hypothetical proposals that were getting rejected with outrage on here, and I'm curious as to how close we got on Victorino and Pence.

In the end, we were in a bind. On the one hand, a great opportunity to capitalize on banked wins and chase down even an outside shot at an injury-wracked and underperforming AL East was missed. On the other hand, our playoff chances are doubtless slim. I think Duquette had a tough row to hoe and he didn't get the offers he wanted.

Archived