One source is telling me it doesnt look like the Orioles will do anything now

Greg

I agree that this point isn't really arguing, so I won't argue it. But I think you are being way too dire in your assessments of things, especially re: the cavalry has collapsed (hard to see how that can be the case when 2 of the 4 are showing a lot of promise in the starting rotation and we just learned about how the other two still have significant value even at the very bottom of their respective values). I read your post and I thought: pessimism bias. It seems like you--and others--are disappointed by the lack of an event/excitement that you had been looking forward to and in the aftermath of the absence of that event you are letting your disappointment bleed into your analysis.

Exactly...which is why I closed my first post with "it'll pass." I just think disappointment is an entirely predictable, and acceptable, temporary reaction.

As for the cavalry, though...Britton's only had three starts this year, and two of them have been really bad. Tillman's provoked reasons for optimism, but it's early in re: both, IMO. Jury's out. As for Arrieta and Matusz...the only things I remember hearing with regards to trade values were that other teams were interested in "buying low." Whether you consider that a good thing boils down to whether you're a glass half full/empty-type person. I tend to skew "empty" (please, no intellectual-capacity jokes). At any rate, Arrieta and Matusz are carrying ERA's of 3.78 and 3.75, respectively, in the minors. Maybe they can be straightened out, maybe they can't. But their consistent failures at the ML level don't make me optimistic. Especially in re: Arrieta, who'll be 27 before the start of next year.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess I fail to see what Peter Angelos has to do with our inactivity at the deadline.

Truth is, we have Bundy and Machado, and while we have those pieces no trade is going to occur without them being in it. You want Headley for 3B? The Padres are going to need Bundy or Machado. I don't blame DD for turning that down. You can't sit there and tell me that this team is serious about making a playoff charge and their big non-waiver trade deadline acquisition was going to be Joe Blanton. It speaks to how DD feels about our chances at the playoffs. You can look at this Oriole team and tell that we are not a 3B away from a championship run. We are not one starting pitcher away. For the Orioles to go all in RIGHT NOW is completely stupid. DD knows this. Heck YOU know it.

The Angels are making a run. The Rangers are making a run. The White Sox, Tigers, and Yankees are making a run. I think the A's are almost there. The Orioles aren't close to being as good as these teams are.

The Orioles need to improve their plate discipline, improve their fielding, and improve their frequency of quality starts. They need to focus on small moves without mortgaging the future. They need to be consistently drafting well and firing on all cylinders when developing. If Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman, Rowell, Snyder, Townsend, Givens, Hoes, Avery tell us anything... the Orioles have an incredibly difficult time developing players. Look at the number of Orioles drafted players on the team right now... four? Britton, Johnson, Markakis and Wieters? That's pathetic.

I would have liked to see us move Reynolds for a borderline prospect, but as far as the deadline was concerned, I'm content with staying put. This is not a World Championship team. It's very apparent. Let's get a winning season under our belt first and then climb Everest.

This is just mularkey ... The rumored information was Arrieta and a couple of A Ball prospects that might have included Delmonico.

Sounds like money was a factor in what we didnt do...and attendance is up ..so there's really no excuse.

Exactly...which is why I closed my first post with "it'll pass." I just think disappointment is an entirely predictable, and acceptable, temporary reaction.

As for the cavalry, though...Britton's only had three starts this year, and two of them have been really bad. Tillman's provoked reasons for optimism, but it's early in re: both, IMO. Jury's out. As for Arrieta and Matusz...the only things I remember hearing with regards to trade values were that other teams were interested in "buying low." Whether you consider that a good thing boils down to whether you're a glass half full/empty-type person. I tend to skew "empty" (please, no intellectual-capacity jokes). At any rate, Arrieta and Matusz are carrying ERA's of 3.78 and 3.75, respectively, in the minors. Maybe they can be straightened out, maybe they can't. But their consistent failures at the ML level don't make me optimistic. Especially in re: Arrieta, who'll be 27 before the start of next year.

Fair points. My happiness that we did not move Bundy, Machado, Schoop and a couple of other guys outweighs my disappointment that they did not add anything to give the team a push or add any prospects by selling on some guys. Still feel that either adding a little something to team or adding some prospects to be in a better position to make moves this time next year would have been preferable to just treading water.

Fair points. My happiness that we did not move Bundy, Machado, Schoop and a couple of other guys outweighs my disappointment that they did not add anything to give the team a push or add any prospects by selling on some guys. Still feel that either adding a little something to team or adding some prospects to be in a better position to make moves this time next year would have been preferable to just treading water.

The fact that we didn't try is just not acceptable.

Archived