One source is telling me it doesnt look like the Orioles will do anything now

Greg

I guess I fail to see what Peter Angelos has to do with our inactivity at the deadline.

Truth is, we have Bundy and Machado, and while we have those pieces no trade is going to occur without them being in it. You want Headley for 3B? The Padres are going to need Bundy or Machado. I don't blame DD for turning that down. You can't sit there and tell me that this team is serious about making a playoff charge and their big non-waiver trade deadline acquisition was going to be Joe Blanton. It speaks to how DD feels about our chances at the playoffs. You can look at this Oriole team and tell that we are not a 3B away from a championship run. We are not one starting pitcher away. For the Orioles to go all in RIGHT NOW is completely stupid. DD knows this. Heck YOU know it.

The Angels are making a run. The Rangers are making a run. The White Sox, Tigers, and Yankees are making a run. I think the A's are almost there. The Orioles aren't close to being as good as these teams are.

The Orioles need to improve their plate discipline, improve their fielding, and improve their frequency of quality starts. They need to focus on small moves without mortgaging the future. They need to be consistently drafting well and firing on all cylinders when developing. If Arrieta, Matusz, Tillman, Rowell, Snyder, Townsend, Givens, Hoes, Avery tell us anything... the Orioles have an incredibly difficult time developing players. Look at the number of Orioles drafted players on the team right now... four? Britton, Johnson, Markakis and Wieters? That's pathetic.

I would have liked to see us move Reynolds for a borderline prospect, but as far as the deadline was concerned, I'm content with staying put. This is not a World Championship team. It's very apparent. Let's get a winning season under our belt first and then climb Everest.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, honestly, was Joe Blanton or even Chase Headley going to excite the fan base, probably not. Maybe either would have helped down the stretch, maybe not.

My emotion essentially is relief, in that they didn't do anything stupid (mortgaging the future) for the hope they can lose to Angels in Anaheim in early October.

Just another newspaper columnists opinion. When I see a scouts take then I'll apologize, but until then I stand behind my word.

Rangers get Dempster for two Single A pitchers(not sure what their ceiling is)...Pirates make 3 or 4 moves...we get nothing because we are too poor to pay 3 million dollars.

I'm glad DD didn't give up any of the top 3 or 4 prospects we have......but Geezus Krist it sucks we didn't do anything at all.

Yeah-the apologists of inaction puzzle me. No excuse for not making a move. A real huge disappointment to the fans. Buy, sell, but do SOMETHING!

Plus, keep in mind this board is the more advanced fans, most casual fans that will help pack the stadium don't know or care who was given up for who, they just want to see the effort. Even a minor deal or two would have spread some good will IMO.

I agree, this was the Orioles chance to show fans were all in. Im not saying trade Machado or Bundy but we could have made moves that would have put us in a better place to compete for the wildcard. I think DD is making a big mistake here.

We don't have enough prospects to go "all in." Even with Machado and Bundy.

Rangers get Dempster for two Single A pitchers(not sure what their ceiling is)...Pirates make 3 or 4 moves...we get nothing because we are too poor to pay 3 million dollars.

I'm glad DD didn't give up any of the top 3 or 4 prospects we have......but Geezus Krist it sucks we didn't do anything at all.

You think Blanton would be claimed off waivers? If not, then today's deadline means NOTHING! This ain't Cy Young we're talking about.

And that's why we'll continue to suck. Doesn't make any damn sense. I'm more than pissed. Something decent happening and we'll standing by with our hands up our ***$#@!

#Whatever

I used to get stone cold angry about this stuff. People would tell me I was wrong and that things will eventually get better if we stand pat.

Some stuff did get better. Our actions within the league still haven't.

MSK

Really? Do you think the teams sitting behind us in the standings and all the teams that have losing records against us this year think we suck?

Stop apologizing for our mediocrity. It's 162 games in a year. We just beat the Yankees who are the #1 team in the league as of right now. Does that make us world beaters? No? That's what I thought. I'm just sick of us sitting aside letting the other teams make all the deals while I get stuck with middle aged stop gaps. Spare me, please. And I say that with the upmost respect.

Yeah-the apologists of inaction puzzle me. No excuse for not making a move. A real huge disappointment to the fans. Buy, sell, but do SOMETHING!

Plus, keep in mind this board is the more advanced fans, most casual fans that will help pack the stadium don't know or care who was given up for who, they just want to see the effort. Even a minor deal or two would have spread some good will IMO.

You cannot convince me that simply getting an upgrade in LF was something they did not have the chips to pull off without giving up something overly valuable. In fairness to DD he has some C and C- chips he could have gotten something for but its hard to do that when the owner is unwilling to pay anyone.

The future is always now, when you are trying to win. Your future is really the opportunity and the risk is in not going for it. What do you think the fans want to see? They want to see and hear about all these prospects or do they want to see a competitive major league team going for the pennant?" Duquette said.

What was that?? Crickets Crickets

Archived