Orioles are going to move Matusz to the bullpen in triple a

Greg

I generally dont have an issue working guys out of the BP, but not after three years in the Majors. Anyways it's clearly a temporary strategy and I have no issue with it.

September 1st is almost here. I'm sure they will bring him up and use him out of the pen. Get him use to it now. It's different then being a SP you warm up different.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why should we care about IP limits for Matusz at this point? Are you saying it's the right move for future roster management because of IP limits?

If the O's need 20-30 more innings from Matusz in September & October, why waste 15-20 more innings on starts at AAA? If he makes 3 more starts at AAA (at 5 IP per), he would already exceed 35 IP from 2011. Arrieta and Hunter are also above their IP totals from last year (with injuries).

The move to the pen in AAA keeps him fresher, since they can control his outings. It adds more LH bullpen depth and should motivate Matusz to help the big league club during a run at the playoffs. Not sure what the IP cutoff point would be for Brian, but it certainly makes more sense to have him prepped to help the club through October.

Wow, and I thought Arrieta was the more likely BP arm. Makes me wonder more why they wouldn't deal the two for Headey. I wonder if it's a temporary strategy designed to help the team (and maybe Matusz) for this season only.

Maybe they thought it was too expensive and had planned to bring up Machado all along.

I sure dont. We have Machado at 3rd and Matusz in the BP. To me that is a win win situation.

I disagree completely. Again, Headley would't have to play 3rd. Headley (at 1B or LF) and Machado together would make the team better offensively and defensively. Most importantly, Headley would be the best or second-best hitter on the team, making the entire lineup better - that's substantially more valuable and would produce more wins than a situational lefty, especially a pitcher who hasn't been able to get major league or minor league hitters out this year, and someone who has never regularly relieved professionally.

Brittany Ghiroli ‏@Britt_Ghiroli

#orioles are going to move Matusz to the bullpen in triple a

Trade him in the offseason

Let me guess, you said the same about Tillman around this time last year. Trade him for a couple of C prospects that turn into AAA filler at best... only to watch him turn into a formidable pitcher in the bigs.

Another poor outing from Matusz:

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/08/the-matusz-relief-experiment-after-two-games.html

In short: 1 IP, 2 ER, 4 SO, 2 BB, 2 H and a blown save. That game equates to a 4.00 WHIP. Just terrible. I like the strikeouts, but he just gets hits way too hard.

He's up to a 4.40 ERA in AAA.

Matusz replaced starter Jason Berken with two outs in the seventh and was charged with two runs and two hits, with two walks, one strikeout, one wild pitch and one balk

http://www.masnsports.com/school_of_roch/2012/08/the-matusz-relief-experiment-after-two-games.html

Matusz replaced starter Jason Berken with two outs in the seventh and was charged with two runs and two hits, with two walks, one strikeout, one wild pitch and one balk

He needs to be redeveloped and I'm not sure based on the not sure its here with the rumors of him being not coach-able.

Archived