Sox blow it up!

Moose Milligan

Wow, just wow. I do wish that the O's could have gotten agon, but...wow! The Red Sox are in for an interesting few seasons. Robert Andino made this all happen!

Sent from my PantechP8000 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't count on that. They could easily bump the payroll back up to $150 million and buy 3 or 4 good free agents this offseason. This is horrible for us in the long run. We better make this year worth it, Red Sox just got a get out of salary jail free pass.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What will the Sox do with Ortiz? He's a free agent this offseason. Do they bring him back with the ridiculous amount of payroll flexibility that they have now? Do they let him go and spend their money elsewhere? Ellsbury is also a free agent, but they may try to bring him back since he'll only be 30 next season.

What will the Sox do with Ortiz? He's a free agent this offseason. Do they bring him back with the ridiculous amount of payroll flexibility that they have now? Do they let him go and spend their money elsewhere? Ellsbury is also a free agent, but they may try to bring him back since he'll only be 30 next season.

I was listening to the radio post game, and Ortiz came across as someone looking to exit stage left. I cant see him wanting to stay in Boston and playing in a situation like this.

I think this off season will be one of the most interesting in a long time. Texas, Boston, LAA, both New York teams, and a few lessor spenders are going to really try and figure out how to fix some things, without alot of players available. Could be a good trade season.

I honestly believe the 1997 Orioles are a lesson that the Redsoxs are unfortunately learning from. Gillick wanted to blow it up and start over. PA said no and we were stuck for 14 years with old contracts and trying to compete. This seems to fit SG's old Billy Beene line about either having something special or building something special. There is nothing in between.

Nothing in between....except the Blue Jays for the past decade or so

Sent from my PantechP8000 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, but just like Oz, when the first witch was killed, there was a second one to contend with.

I particularly like the fact that the Sox traded their good 1B prospect Rizzo to get Gonzalez, moved Youkilis to 3B, then traded Youkilis when Middlebrooks started off well, then Middlebrooks got hurt, then they traded Gonzalez. That whole series of transactions worked out well for them, wouldn't you say?

But, the Sox will be back. They have a good MiL system, are getting some prospects back, and will have a lot of cash on hand.

Is A-Gone that bad of a guy? They are going to trade him after just a season and a half? I get trading Beckett and Crawford, but A-Gone? Pretty awesome from our point of view. Don't get me wrong, I am terrified of James Loney.:D

1- He was reported to be part of the attempted coup.

2- He was probably part of the cost of dumping the Crawford contract. Crawford has negative value at this point so the Sox would have to give up something to get the Dodgers to take him.

1- He was reported to be part of the attempted coup.

2- He was probably part of the cost of dumping the Crawford contract. Crawford has negative value at this point so the Sox would have to give up something to get the Dodgers to take him.

Yes, I get the Crawford part and believe the coup part...if I were the Red Sox I would be parting ways with Valentine before Gonzalez. It seems to me that their pitchers had their best success under John Farrell, who might be swayed to part ways with the Jays and come manage the Sox.

Maybe this puts the Sux in the rear view mirror for a couple of years but their MiL system is amongst the better ones right now, they're getting the Dodgers' #2 prospect and they have lots of cash. But into the foreseeable future we still have TB and NYY to contend with and LAA/Tex for the wild card.

What I'm more worried about is how this affects this season. Yes, we play them 6 times (good) (including two games that I have tickets too and a set right at the wire). On the other hand, they play TB 6 times as well, NYY 6, Oakland 3 and LAA 3. So I'm torn. I can't tell if this is good, bad or indifferent for us. I'm going to go with good. :cool:

I don't understand why the Dodgers would take on two awful contracts just to get a very good first baseman. And if they are going to do that, why would they give up so much? There has to be a lot of salary relief in this deal. I hope there is, or Sox will be flush with cash.

From the Herald. It's done.

Blockbuster complete

Posted by Michael Silverman at 8:12 am

The rebuilding of the Red Sox begins today.

Early this morning, the Red Sox and Dodgers concluded a blockbuster deal in which the Red Sox shipped four players – Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford and Nick Punto – in exchange for a massive relief in salary as well as four minor-leaguers and first baseman James Loney, according to a Red Sox source.

The deal will be worth in excess of $275 million to the Red Sox including luxury tax savings and salaries for the remainder of this season and beyond. Over the next six years, the Dodgers will receive $12 million from the Red Sox, with the payments to begin next year.

Through a mixture of underperformance and bad seeds in the clubhouse, the Red Sox, out of the playoffs mix since 2009, have needed a massive overhaul that most thought would begin in the offseason.

The Dodgers, under new ownership, sped up that timetable by making waiver claims this month.

There will be much more to come throughout the day about the deal.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/red_sox/

Archived