Sox blow it up!

Moose Milligan

Ben Cherington to the Red Sox clubhouse, "smile you sonuva...."

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Ri2Khr4eP90" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Use the Force, Ben

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BMkC_lKxrVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He has well over 100 million left on his deal.

Call me crazy, but I think I would have claimed him. 100+ million or not. Of course I'm not the one cutting the checks. He's a hell of a ballplayer and there's noone in the organization at that position to get excited about.

I honestly believe the 1997 Orioles are a lesson that the Redsoxs are unfortunately learning from. Gillick wanted to blow it up and start over. PA said no and we were stuck for 14 years with old contracts and trying to compete. This seems to fit SG's old Billy Beene line about either having something special or building something special. There is nothing in between.

In theory, a healthy 2013 Dodgers team looks like...

C Ellis

1b Gonzo

2b Ellis FA?

SS Dee Gordon

3b Hanley

LF Crawford

CF Kemp

RF Either

SP Kershaw

SP Billingsley

SP Beckett (NL West could serve him very well)

SP Capuano

SP ??? Harang? Blanton? FA?

It certainly has potential in the NL West

There are still the questions of how much chowdah Boston will be required to send out to L.A. to cover payroll and also if his Bud-ness will approve the deal.

I don't think trades involving exchange of contracts are voidable by the commish unless there's some seriously shady business going down. More than $250K has to change hands. (that's $250K in cash, not value of contracts.)

I am absolutely amazed that no one claimed AGon before the Dodgers did. Amazed.
He has well over 100 million left on his deal.
Call me crazy, but I think I would have claimed him. 100+ million or not. Of course I'm not the one cutting the checks. He's a hell of a ballplayer and there's noone in the organization at that position to get excited about.

Oh how I wish JTrea was still here.

I'm torn on this deal. The Dodgers just bailed the Sox out of three, count them three, bad contracts. I don't care what they get back they win there. But on the flip side of it I'm happy Agone won't be here to torture us in September.

Crawford and Beckett are salary dumps..Gonzalez was a clubhouse cancer apparently. The Sox are going to rebuild. Good for us.

Identifying who is responsible for clubhouse dissension is a daily game in the Boston press. Focus hasn't been on Gonzalez and Bobby Valentine in an interview tonite was highly laudatory as to Gonzalez's character.

Boston TV reporting tonite that this trade, if completed, will reduce the Sox salary commitments to about $40 million for next year.

I think this is a bad move for Boston. They give up a lot of talent (and payroll) and don't get much back, though I know nothing about the prospect they got except he had TJ surgery.

Do they go and spend on Greinke and/or Hamilton in FA? Do they wait it out? Are they rebuilding? Is Pedroia next? It will be interesting to see what the Sox do.

Archived