The case for Reynolds in 2013

Scrat1

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay. I can see he is getting comfortable at first finally. I might be inclined to pick up his option.

I cant believe I just typed that.

They don't have to pick up his option to keep him. They can buy it out for $500,000 and offer him arbitration (minimum offer of $6 mm which is 80% of his 2012 salary). This is the course I expect them to take if they decide to keep him. Or, they could sign him to a 2-3 year deal at some reasonable price.

I have not just recently jumped on the Reynolds bandwagon. I have stood by him all along. Both Reynolds and Davis, in fact. Look it up. And no, we should not pick up Reynolds option, we should ink him to a new 3-4 year deal. He is still young, and the best thing we have seen at first base since.....????? Eddie? I would be all over signing Reynolds this offseason to a 4-32 mil. deal.

I have not just recently jumped on the Reynolds bandwagon. I have stood by him all along. Both Reynolds and Davis, in fact. Look it up. And no, we should not pick up Reynolds option, we should ink him to a new 3-4 year deal. He is still young, and the best thing we have seen at first base since.....????? Eddie? I would be all over signing Reynolds this offseason to a 4-32 mil. deal.

You forgot about Raffy.

I have mixed feelings on Reynolds. I have been a pretty strong defender of his offensive game because I believe that his propensity to strike out doesn't really matter so long as his other stats are good. I'm a fan of his ability to get on base. I think his defense at 1B has gone from spotty (making some great plays but also messing up some easy ones) to very good as he has gained experience at the position. I think he's an excellent teammate.

On the other hand, I'm hoping his power decline this year isn't permanent. A low BA and so-so SLG is not what I want at 1B even if the OBP and defense are solid.

So, signing Reynolds long-term is a debatable move for me. Maybe Reynolds will convince me in September.

Inasmuch as his early poor play was greeted by reserve and calls by some to be patient, I think I'll take the same approach with regard to his recent good play. I'm waiting until the season is over before making any final decision. Mark is as enigmatic as any ballplayer I've encountered - capable of doing things that make you jump for joy, and then doing things that make you want to throw your tv out of the window, often in the same game. I'm on record as hoping he's not around next season, but if 1) he continues his hot hitting and good D at first, and 2) improves his consistency, then I'd certainly be open to reconsidering that position.

Inasmuch as his early poor play was greeted by reserve and calls by some to be patient, I think I'll take the same approach with regard to his recent good play. I'm waiting until the season is over before making any final decision. Mark is as enigmatic as any ballplayer I've encountered - capable of doing things that make you jump for joy, and then doing things that make you want to throw your tv out of the window, often in the same game. I'm on record as hoping he's not around next season, but if 1) he continues his hot hitting and good D at first, and 2) improves his consistency, then I'd certainly be open to reconsidering that position.

I agree with your point about waiting for the full season to be over before making any judgments. However, I don't think Reynolds is much more inconsistent than most players. They're all pretty streaky. Reynolds has had two cold periods and two hot periods this year. Right now he's hot, and I hope he can ride that wave the rest of the year!

If Reynolds has a strong September, I can't see him getting less than $8 mill in arbitration. Arbitration almost never cuts the player's salary unless he has a horrible year. Based on the fact that there are no attractive alternative in FA, the O's should try to sign him to a 2 year deal w/ an option. He has been playing near gold glove defense for the O's.

Another question is why can't the O's develop a power hitting 1B? The O's seem to fail at developing power hitters at any position. If there's a good 1B available in the supplemental round, the O's should take a 1B then.

Let's not forget, he did lose what, 20 or 30 pounds in the offseason to try and get in shape. That may have really sapped his power and strength early in the season leading to some poor numbers early and some of us (myself included) questioning his value. He was also still playing 3b early on and doing it very poorly and after being switched to first, still struggled there as well initially.

Face it, he was NOT a value to this team over the first 2 months or so of this season.

But as others have mentioned, his defense at first has improved exponentially, his bat has started to warm up as he's gotten used to his body without all the extra weight and he's made adjustments at the plate and were starting to see the power show up again.

He's really impressed me with his improvement over the course of this season. He dedicated himself to getting into better shape and it's finally started to pay off on the defensive end. The old, fatter mark reynolds doesn't make that diving leap to the right or make some of the other fantastic plays he's made of late on the defensive end.

The power numbers have certainly declined, there's no disputing that but his ability to take a walk and play much better defense very much offsets that. I never thought I'd be typing these words after the start he had this year but damn it,

I want Reynolds in an Orioles uniform next year!

Let's not forget' date=' he did lose what, 20 or 30 pounds in the offseason to try and get in shape. That may have really sapped his power and strength early in the season leading to some poor numbers early and some of us (myself included) questioning his value. He was also still playing 3b early on and doing it very poorly and after being switched to first, still struggled there as well initially.

[b']Face it, he was NOT a value to this team over the first 2 months or so of this season.

[/b]

But as others have mentioned, his defense at first has improved exponentially, his bat has started to warm up as he's gotten used to his body without all the extra weight and he's made adjustments at the plate and were starting to see the power show up again.

He's really impressed me with his improvement over the course of this season. He dedicated himself to getting into better shape and it's finally started to pay off on the defensive end. The old, fatter mark reynolds doesn't make that diving leap to the right or make some of the other fantastic plays he's made of late on the defensive end.

The power numbers have certainly declined, there's no disputing that but his ability to take a walk and play much better defense very much offsets that. I never thought I'd be typing these words after the start he had this year but damn it,

I want Reynolds in an Orioles uniform next year!

I am glad Reynolds has played well enough to turn you around.

He's had two really cold streaks, and two really hot ones.

4/6 to 5/2 (20 games) -- .136/.260/.197

5/4 to 6/14 (22 games) -- .342/.462/.658

6/15 to 7/29 (35 games) -- .152/.262/.259

7/30 to 8/31 (27 games) -- .284/408/.580

Hopefully, he stays hot, because we can't afford for him to get as cold as he's been when he's cold.

Mark Reynolds is a great Oriole and I want him at 1st next year. Even with a pretty subpar season he's become a fan favorite and he's only beginning to heat up. On top of that, his defense is above average at his new position. Let's give him the chance to stick there for us.

Archived