The case for Reynolds in 2013

Scrat1

You forgot about Raffy.

I have mixed feelings on Reynolds. I have been a pretty strong defender of his offensive game because I believe that his propensity to strike out doesn't really matter so long as his other stats are good. I'm a fan of his ability to get on base. I think his defense at 1B has gone from spotty (making some great plays but also messing up some easy ones) to very good as he has gained experience at the position. I think he's an excellent teammate.

On the other hand, I'm hoping his power decline this year isn't permanent. A low BA and so-so SLG is not what I want at 1B even if the OBP and defense are solid.

So, signing Reynolds long-term is a debatable move for me. Maybe Reynolds will convince me in September.

Exactly. This is pretty much how I feel, although I was banging this harder before I started to see his sparkling defense. If he has a very good to great Sept. and the power returns like it did in this series it would go a long way towards me wanting him back. I don't know about long term either though, maybe more two to three years with an option at $6 or $7 mil.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am thinking a 4 yr./32 million dollar deal is what it will take, I think he gets it too. I think Buck really likes Reynolds, and he has no doubt shown that he can play a nice first base.

It is no mystery why this guy walks so much. Pitchers are not comfortable throwing strikes to Mark Reynolds. His bat speed is just ridiculous. Those two he hit today were smoked, the first one was titanic. If you go back a couple weeks and look, he has been a huge reason why we have been in the hunt this deep. And I think he will carry us, with some help, to the AL east championship.

During the TBS broadcast today they mentioned that AJ has been battling wrist problems that have limited his power. If he is getting back on track now, look out.

I am thinking a 4 yr./32 million dollar deal is what it will take, I think he gets it too. I think Buck really likes Reynolds, and he has no doubt shown that he can play a nice first base.

There is not a single team in baseball that would offer Reynolds a 4 year, 32 million deal.

There is not a single team in baseball that would offer Reynolds a 4 year, 32 million deal.

Agreed. IF WE DO decide that we want to count on Reynolds for the next few years, matching J.J. Hardy's deal (3 years, $22 Million) would be a little more prudent of an offer.

HARDY'S DEAL: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/6775622/baltimore-orioles-jj-hardy-agree-3-year-contract

One more thing, the posters making an argument about his weight loss having something to do with his lack of production is baseless. It's more likely the injury and DL stint interrupted his season and put him off track.

What an absurd post. If you think there is no side effect to losing 20 to 30 pounds in a couple months before the season starts, you have no clue what you are talking about.

The guy has hit how many homers over the last 4 or 5 seasons? And how many did he have before this recent surge? And you think the weight loss has nothing to do with it? Interesting stuff there. Baseless........hilarious.

What an absurd post. If you think there is no side effect to losing 20 to 30 pounds in a couple months before the season starts' date=' you have no clue what you are talking about.

The guy has hit how many homers over the last 4 or 5 seasons? And how many did he have before this recent surge? And you think the weight loss has nothing to do with it? Interesting stuff there. Baseless........hilarious.[/quote']

I love how Reynolds' detractors find everything they can to complain about him, but ignore the actual numbers. Cold streaks or not, the man's OPS os now up to .782.

2012 28 BAL AL 106 413 346 52 79 23 0 16 49 1 3 60 123 .228 .349 .434 .782 112

Yes there is, and it better be us. Otherwise we will be searching for a good first baseman again, and how well has that gone over the last few years? Right now there are two hitters in our line up that really worry the opposing pitcher. Markakis and Reynolds, for different reasons.

A one year deal with an option? Really? Then Mark Reynolds will have to take his game elsewhere, and that will not be good for us. Lets just sit back and see where this goes, and at the end of the day, we will see what kind of deal Mark Reynolds gets.

The real question when you're looking at bringing him back is "can Chris Davis be trusted to take over 1B full time," and maintain solid offensive production playing every day as well as improve his defense significantly over what we saw earlier this year. Davis will be under control until 2016, with this off season being his first of arbitration. If Davis can hit 30 bombs a year with an obp of .320 and play respectable defense, I'd be thrilled to have him as the full time 1B and he'd likely come at less cost than Reynolds, with even greater upside.

If we don't think Davis has much room for improvement it makes sense to keep both of them to split DH/1B duties. That arrangement's worked pretty well in the second half. I'd give Reynolds $18/3 years if he wants to stick around.

Been a fan of his all along. Love that he's embraced the first base role and providing awesome defense there.

He's got the right approach at the plate, walks a fair amount and has regained his power stroke. Not sure what weight loss has to do with anything but as long as he didn't lose muscle mass he probably didn't lose much strength. His big bombs against the Yankees are proof that his power is fine.

I'd love to see him back next year. I believe we'd have a legit 40 homer guy at first base and someone who'd give us great defense as well.

No he's not Tex or Fielder but he's ours.

What an absurd post. If you think there is no side effect to losing 20 to 30 pounds in a couple months before the season starts' date=' you have no clue what you are talking about.

The guy has hit how many homers over the last 4 or 5 seasons? And how many did he have before this recent surge? And you think the weight loss has nothing to do with it? Interesting stuff there. Baseless........hilarious.[/quote']

You're really on to something there huh? Did you read recently that Jones lost ten pounds during the season? Most players lose weight while the season is being played and still do just fine. The weight issue with Reynolds was something that was brought up because of his mobility at third and the Orioles approved the move after thinking he was to heavy when he came in the previous season.

As others have noted, Reynolds goes through his hot and cold streaks and has rarely been injured but you discount that. Ever swing a bat before? Try it with an obilque injury then get back to me and we'll talk about the absurdity of the idea.

I love how Reynolds' detractors find everything they can to complain about him, but ignore the actual numbers. Cold streaks or not, the man's OPS os now up to .782.

He must have put all thirty pounds back on, eh?

Been a fan of his all along. Love that he's embraced the first base role and providing awesome defense there.

He's got the right approach at the plate, walks a fair amount and has regained his power stroke. Not sure what weight loss has to do with anything but as long as he didn't lose muscle mass he probably didn't lose much strength. His big bombs against the Yankees are proof that his power is fine.

I'd love to see him back next year. I believe we'd have a legit 40 homer guy at first base and someone who'd give us great defense as well.

There you go. Guys lose and gain weight all the time, it's usually fat they are losing not muscle. Does anyone honestly think that with all the people at their disposal these guys don't have a managed work out routine that allows them to drop the excess weight they don't need to get into proper playing shape? Reynolds weight is not an issue. Did you see the shots he hit over the weekend?

Total agreement. I would be pretty upset if Mark Reynolds wasn't our 1b on opening day. He has solidified the defense there, and has picked it up with the bat. I think the power numbers will be there, and I chalk this up to a bad year, it happens. Furthermore, He wants to win in Baltimore with the O's. Id be fine with them giving him a 3/24 million deal.

I think they should bring back Reynolds....Roch says the Orioles are interested but not at his option of $11 Million. I think Reynolds is worth that if he continues to hit the rest of the season. Bad start ...but I think you have to overlook that and move on. No chance we are going after Hamilton so it would be a shame to loose our 30+ homer guy.

Archived