The case for Reynolds in 2013

Scrat1

He's not a bad option for 5 million or less but if we need to pay him more, I'd rather take my chances with Mahoney
Mark Reynolds is hitting 218 with an obp of 334. He is slugging 399. He has 12 homeruns and 42 rbis. That's worth about 1 million imo. If you accept the fact that this is a career bad year and he'll bounce back, you may give him a salary of about 5 million for one year but nothing more then that

Mahoney has a .314 OBP and a .697 OPS in AAA. If you think he's anything close to an option, then it's really hard to take you seriously.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I could care less how much of Peter's money he gets.

..... he drives me crazy .... but he is an Oriole, and I'm OK with him coming back .....

I don't see where the money matters its not our money there is no cap.

Exactly. It's not like we're talking about offering him a 5-year, $80 Million contract or something. If we bring Reynolds back next year at about $6 or $7 Million, or even at $10 million or $11 Million, it's not like it's going to hamstring the franchise in 2014 and beyond. If Angelos loosens up his pocket-strings and is willing to pay whatever it takes to keep Reynolds here for another year, then I don't see what the issue is in regard to the money.

No, it's not. Batting average matters when it comes to knocking in runs. Look at Davis vs Reynolds this year.

And what about Reynolds last year? It didn't seem to stop him then.

With men in scoring position Reynolds is hitting .274/.375/.548. Davis is hitting .285/.333/.543. Davis has just had more opportunities.

Reynolds' career OBP is .332.

Garvey's career OBP was .329.

You know people trained and preached different things to players in the old days. Case in point they used to have a saying in the Dominican Republic. "You cant walk your way off the Island." They meant swing the bat even if it was slightly off the plate. Players were taught that clean up hitters were selfish if they just took too many walks and didnt try to be the guy to drive in the runs. Now people teach different. Even in little league people are teaching the kids to make the pitcher throw it over. If you get a walk. Its fine. Let the next guy drive you in.

Thats why I dont really like comparing OBP with old players. If you had stressed OBP in the .50's-80's. I think many many more guys would have put up better numbers.

It's a team option. Others here have convinced me that we can take him to arbitration if we would like to sign him for less than this year.
He's not a bad option for 5 million or less but if we need to pay him more, I'd rather take my chances with Mahoney

If we want to keep him, we have to make a qualifying offer of at least 80% of his 2012 salary of $7.5 mm, which is $6 mm. He may get more than that in arbitration, but that's the minimum. The other optiona are to non-tender him and try to re-sign him for less as a free agent, or extend him for a few years at a reasonable price before the non-tender date.

You know people trained and preached different things to players in the old days. Case in point they used to have a saying in the Dominican Republic. "You cant walk your way off the Island." They meant swing the bat even if it was slightly off the plate. Players were taught that clean up hitters were selfish if they just took too many walks and didnt try to be the guy to drive in the runs. Now people teach different. Even in little league people are teaching the kids to make the pitcher throw it over. If you get a walk. Its fine. Let the next guy drive you in.

Thats why I dont really like comparing OBP with old players. If you had stressed OBP in the .50's-80's. I think many many more guys would have put up better numbers.

Fine. I wasn't the one who brought up their respective batting averages as a comparison of the 2 players in the first place. But being that somebody else did (Brian Nod), it deserved the rebuttal that it got with their respective OBP.

Mark Reynolds is hitting 218 with an obp of 334. He is slugging 399. He has 12 homeruns and 42 rbis. That's worth about 1 million imo. If you accept the fact that this is a career bad year and he'll bounce back, you may give him a salary of about 5 million for one year but nothing more then that

.159 .292 .277 .569 - 11 HR & 42 RBI

.207 .339 .500 .839 - 38 HR & 87 RBI

What a difference a year can make. Remember when that guy was done, garbage, washed up?

I don't really agree. Walk rates and OBP haven't changed much from the 1970's until now. There were always guys who had high averages and low walk rates, just like there are now, and other guys who were more patient. Just picking 1974, one of Garvey's best years, three of the top five OBP guys in the NL were Hall of Famers (Morgan, Stargell, Schmidt), as were three of the top five OBP guys in the AL (Carew, Yastrzemski, Jackson). I can only speak for myself, but I was certainly aware of the value of OBP in 1974, and I was in high school.

I don't really agree. Walk rates and OBP haven't changed much from the 1970's until now. There were always guys who had high averages and low walk rates, just like there are now, and other guys who were more patient. Just picking 1974, one of Garvey's best years, three of the top five OBP guys in the NL were Hall of Famers (Morgan, Stargell, Schmidt), as were three of the top five OBP guys in the AL (Carew, Yastrzemski, Jackson). I can only speak for myself, but I was certainly aware of the value of OBP in 1974, and I was in high school.

I was a little kid at that time, and one of our favorite phrases was "A walk is as good as a hit." .;)

Of course that's not completely true, but we knew the gist of what we were saying.

Umm, they've knocked runs in at almost exactly the same rate. Reynolds just hasn't had as many ABs.

Davis has had 238 runners on base when he has batted, Reynolds has had 220. Davis' RBI rate is higher because he has more homers and a better BA. Reynolds' OBP helps the Orioles score runs by extending innings, but walks don't lead to RBI's, they just help others to get the RBI's.

If we want to keep him, we have to make a qualifying offer of at least 80% of his 2012 salary of $7.5 mm, which is $6 mm. He may get more than that in arbitration, but that's the minimum. The other optiona are to non-tender him and try to re-sign him for less as a free agent, or extend him for a few years at a reasonable price before the non-tender date.
I think the extension offer is the best way to go. He can be a useful RH bat DH/1B at the right price. If we offered three years at less than 6M per he might bite. If not, sayonara.

Davis has had 238 runners on base when he has batted, Reynolds has had 220. Davis' RBI rate is higher because he has more homers and a better BA. Reynolds' OBP helps the Orioles score runs by extending innings, but walks don't lead to RBI's, they just help others to get the RBI's.
Then obviously we should be batting Reynolds in front of Davis.

Archived