The case for Reynolds in 2013

Scrat1

I think they should bring back Reynolds....Roch says the Orioles are interested but not at his option of $11 Million. I think Reynolds is worth that if he continues to hit the rest of the season. Bad start ...but I think you have to overlook that and move on. No chance we are going after Hamilton so it would be a shame to loose our 30+ homer guy.

Why should we give him 11 million when we could realistically get him for much less in arbitration?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't mind bringing back Reynolds CHEAPLY.

We got him for his power. Where has it gone? Even with the 4 homeruns recently, he still only has 16. If he finishes the season with 20. Wow.... He was a 30 (even 40)+ HR Hitter. Last year he even hit 37. Pitchers are figuring him out. They showed a graphic yesterday that he likes the ball in the middle (who doesn't) and pretty much everything low and high he stinks. Pitchers are catching on, he will only get HRs on mistakes which is not very often evidently from his 16 HRs so far this year.

We need more from him. Below 30 HRs for him is a disappointment. If he comes back at 3 or 4 million, fine. 5 and up nah.

I think they should bring back Reynolds....Roch says the Orioles are interested but not at his option of $11 Million. I think Reynolds is worth that if he continues to hit the rest of the season. Bad start ...but I think you have to overlook that and move on. No chance we are going after Hamilton so it would be a shame to loose our 30+ homer guy.

That would be true IF he actually hits 30 HRs. He is going to hit in the LOW 20s if he is lucky and continues this hot streak. That is very bad. Not even close to his usual 30. Very disappointing season.

Why should we give him 11 million when we could realistically get him for much less in arbitration?

That's not a guarantee. While beating players at arbitration hearings is the one thing Angelos has been good at, its no guarantee the team would win. Either way, Id offer Mark a 3/21-24 deal and get something done.

That would be true IF he actually hits 30 HRs. He is going to hit in the LOW 20s if he is lucky and continues this hot streak. That is very bad. Not even close to his usual 30. Very disappointing season.

That's it, a disappointmenting season. No reason to think Reynolds won't get back to his norm. Look no further than Adam Dunn.

Right. I want him back, too, but one good month doesn't earn him top dollar. The Orioles aren't going to overlook anything when it comes to a business decision. I'll overlook many things especially if he helps down the stretch.

That's not a guarantee. While beating players at arbitration hearings is the one thing Angelos has been good at, its no guarantee the team would win. Either way, Id offer Mark a 3/21-24 deal and get something done.

I'd say we have a really, really good chance of getting him for less than 11 million in arbitration. I'm not sure his side could even justify asking for 11 million.

Right. I want him back, too, but one good month doesn't earn him top dollar. The Orioles aren't going to overlook anything when it comes to a business decision. I'll overlook many things especially if he helps down the stretch.

And one down year shouldn't wipe out the previous 5 either. Losing Reynolds would be a huge blow.

I'd say we have a really, really good chance of getting him for less than 11 million in arbitration. I'm not sure his side could even justify asking for 11 million.

Alot of it is based on his career. A proven 40 hr hitter is justified asking for 11 million. Down year or not. Alot will depend on how much Angelos low balls Reynolds. Its 50/50 after that. Most likely they'll meet in the middle at around 9. Id assume lock him up for 3/24.

Alot of it is based on his career. A proven 40 hr hitter is justified asking for 11 million. Down year or not. Alot will depend on how much Angelos low balls Reynolds. Its 50/50 after that. Most likely they'll meet in the middle at around 9. Id assume lock him up for 3/24.

I'd be an interesting arbitration hearing for sure (assuming it even went that far). Reynolds has basically been a below 2 WAR player for his career (offense and defense). HR's or not his offense for 1b isn't all that great. His career wRC+ is only 109. His best argument would be that he's evolved into a really good defensive first baseman.

That's it, a disappointmenting season. No reason to think Reynolds won't get back to his norm. Look no further than Adam Dunn.

Not saying we should not bring him back. Just saying if we do bring him back, should be cheap. Nowhere near the 11 million option, no way. And yes it has been a very disappointing season. Hopefully he bounces back next year if he is with us.

I'd be an interesting arbitration hearing for sure (assuming it even went that far). Reynolds has basically been a below 2 WAR player for his career (offense and defense). HR's or not his offense for 1b isn't all that great. His career wRC+ is only 109. His best argument would be that he's evolved into a really good defensive first baseman.

You know what makes paying Reynolds 11 million next year sound better? Close your eyes and picture Wilson Betemit at 1b next year ;)

You know what makes paying Reynolds 11 million next year sound better? Close your eyes and picture Wilson Betemit at 1b next year ;)

Exactly. There is no replacement option on this team. There is no replacement option via free agency. Trading just doesn't make sense when you have Reynolds right there available.

You could certainly argue that $11 million is no where near top dollar.

Archived